1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 i need the ABOUT part of personal details not to be visible, help please

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Ian S, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Ian S

Ian S Active Member

ok its just been bought to my attention that since ive done a import from vb the "about" box in personal details has the persons address in it and is on public view to everyone, can i use a bit of code in extra.css to remove the about box all together??

on a previous version of the dev site done by someone else this was removed, but this is a new import and is in view

as always your help is appreciated thanx

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Using CSS will only hide it and it will still be possible to view it by using the browser tools.

I would recommend editing the template to remove it or comment it out.
    The template is member_view.

3. Ian S

Ian S Active Member

thanx brogan can you progress further on what i should look for there??

4. batpool52!

batpool52! Well-Known Member

In template 'member_view', find
    Code:
                    <xen:if is="{$user.location}">
                        <dl><dt>{xen:phrase location}:</dt>
                            <dd><a href="{xen:link misc/location-info, '', 'location={xen:string censor, $user.location, 'x'}'}" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" itemprop="address">{xen:string censor, $user.location}</a></dd></dl>
                    </xen:if>
    replace with
    Code:
                    <xen:if is="{$user.location} AND {$user.user_id} == {$visitor.user_id}">
                        <dl><dt>{xen:phrase location}:</dt>
                            <dd><a href="{xen:link misc/location-info, '', 'location={xen:string censor, $user.location, 'x'}'}" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" itemprop="address">{xen:string censor, $user.location}</a></dd></dl>
    In template 'message_user_info', find
    Code:
    <xen:if is="@messageShowLocation AND {$user.location}">
                        <dl class="pairsJustified">
                            <dt>{xen:phrase location}:</dt>
                            <dd><a href="{xen:link 'misc/location-info', '', 'location={xen:string censor, $user.location, '-'}'}" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" itemprop="address" class="concealed">{xen:string censor, $user.location}</a></dd>
                        </dl>
    replace with
    Code:
    <xen:if is="@messageShowLocation AND {$user.location} AND {$user.user_id} == {$visitor.user_id}">
                        <dl class="pairsJustified">
                            <dt>{xen:phrase location}:</dt>
                            <dd><a href="{xen:link 'misc/location-info', '', 'location={xen:string censor, $user.location, '-'}'}" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" itemprop="address" class="concealed">{xen:string censor, $user.location}</a></dd>
                        </dl>
    These edit will make sure the location is visible only yo the profile owner and post/conversation owner.

5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

They're not talking about the location field, they're talking about the 'About' field.

Remove this line from the member_view template:

Code:
    <xen:if is="{$user.about}"><div class="baseHtml ugc">{xen:raw $user.aboutHtml}</div></xen:if>
    Liam

Ian S and batpool52! like this.
  6. Ian S

Ian S Active Member

this worked fine liam, appreciate that sir excellent

7. Ian S

Ian S Active Member

is there a way of removing this from the your account page too

8. Ian S

Ian S Active Member

its ok i found it in the account template