Implemented Replace Members Page with...

Princeton

vBulletin users, check your memberlist.php stats (pageviews, visits, etc). The same applies to those who operate other forum software - go check your member listing page stats.

You'll find that the numbers are really low.

The Members page on xenForo is no different. Isn't this a waste of valuable space? Are we missing out on an opportunity here?

The #1 rule when placing a link on the main navigation is to add links to sections that the visitor frequently visits. In other words, sections that have a lot of traffic. More than likely these are sections that you want people to visit - sections that have fresh content.

What if the Members page was a central hub for member activity such as Groups, Photos, News Feed, Online Members, etc? How much more valuable would this space become?

We currently don't have a Groups or Gallery addon but these are features that will definitely come either by 3rd party or by xenForo themselves. Wouldn't it be cool if we can add these features to the Members page via hooks?

Another issue I have with the Members page is that it lists all members by default. In time, everyone will be introduced to members with funny looking names - all starting with non-alphanumeric names. 99.9% of the time these members are not even active.

With a central hub, I recommend listing Online Members (avatars). The thinking behind this is that we promote those who are currently active - the more active you are the more exposure you get.

For those who are visual learners, here's a mockup of what I described above...

Remember the goal is to create a section (page) that is "valuable" to us (individually). The central hub can be different for everyone.

I call it Community Central :)) I didn't know what to call it)

Upvote 83
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Princeton.... you sexy *******. That is extremely nice, I do however think a Members Page would still be valuable however. BUT this is a fantastic idea, sort of reminds me of JomSocial in a sense but again well done. I would love to see something like this.

That is very interesting! I like the general idea, however, there's just too much on that page for me. It's too 'busy. I wouldn't use it much as such.

Great area for all the "media!" I like it because there currently is no area for all the forum's media.

(groups, attachments, etc)

Almost like widgets in a sense? I think that's why keeping the members page as is but making this in addition. I can easily see this as a modification down the road if it's not implemented by the devs.

Not a bad mockup Princeton. It wouldn't have to be in place of the member list either, it could be added as a new central "members" page, and the plain listing of all members could still be accessible somewhere.

that's whole idea - if done correctly you can add whatever you want to it ... the whole point is that we will have a central area to add all these extras
Ok then I see what you're saying. So Mike and Kier would need to either create or redesign a member page and widget capabilities?

Almost like widgets in a sense? I think that's why keeping the members page as is but making this in addition. I can easily see this as a modification down the road if it's not implemented by the devs.
we don't need additional files ... the "central hub" and view all members list can be called via the same file

Ok then I see what you're saying. So Mike and Kier would need to either create or redesign a member page and widget capabilities?
basically, the only thing that's needed is to take the members.php page change the default list (give us options such as use avatars only, list online members as default, list all members as default, etc) and add the appropriate hooks (top, bottom, sidebar, etc)

we (admins) can then add to the page and really make it something that is worth placing on the main navigation ... this will give everyone the power to customize their "members" page

Princeton I see where you're coming from as in not wanting to bloat the forums any more than they need to. However some folks still may like the old fashion members page, which is why I suggested additional link for this. I myself would love for this to completely replace the members page as I have no use for it. BUT I am thinking about the whole community, so again I'm on board with you're mock up but options are always nice.

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but the members' list in it's current state will most likely be changed. This idea obviously relies on some things that don't exist, though the news feed could be used as alternative. Most likely, I'd probably put a "top members" type view in place of what we have, such as top trophy/like/posters. The A-Z list is really not of much use beyond a small community.

Really? I think the A-Z list is more useful in a larger community.
They mentioned that it tends to create bloat (I think) in larger communities.

I usually use the search feature, because its more time-efficient then going through multiple pages looking for a member.

The Members page on xenForo is no different. Isn't this a waste of valuable space? Are we missing out on an opportunity here?

Yes, it is a waste and yes there is so much room for improvement to make the Memberlist actually useful for once and all! We have been requesting this over and over and over again on... 'the other side/site' ... and still to this day I have to discover a forum product that gets it. Why do they all look the same and has no one come up with a much better social oriented one, indeed. I totally love your mockup; it looks awesome! Beautiful and attractive (on several levels) Thanks for producing this and getting a discussion going.

Since XF is so socially orientated I proposed this earlier:

The benefit of Memberlists nowadays > make them more useful

Yeah, I always wondered (in vBulletin and other boards) what the actual benefit was of providing a memberlist like that, consisting of sometimes a HUGE amount of pages. The only thing I used this overview for was:

• Searching for a member,
  • Sort the list so I could get an insight in who posted the most or got the most reputation
So, where do I need a list, consisting of thousands and thousands of members, for? What purpose does it serve?

That is why I already love the sidebar of XenForo: it is implemented in a very useful way on the memberlist over here, showing us the Highest postings members and Newest members, together with a Search fields. Great!

But, to make XenForo unique and build further on the obvious social focus of XenForo, I believe this 'most x'-pages idea is wonderful.

Why not dish the list completely and present the enduser with an summery of the 'most x' members there? Just like XenForo already does on the right in the sidebar... but then moved over to the left/center of the screen. So when you go to http://xenforo.com/community/members/ you are immediately presented with this summary, without seeing a pretty useless list. Like this:

Newest Members
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Highest-Posting Members
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Most likes received
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Most trophies earned
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

I mean, something really useful and interesting, presented immediately to the community member the moment one enters this screen. No need anymore for any list.

Edit: See the attachment:

View attachment 824

In vBulletin we had this Advanced Search for members. That was another way to get some overviews out of it. And then we had the Statistics or something like that in the Admin Control Panel, which was the only way we could get some TOP-statistics easily. But... those ACP data was not available/visible to the community!

I mean, top/most x-data like that is interesting for the community aswell... makes a member'list' more interesting and usefull when data like that is presented in a nice elegant way to the endusers.

So, I am happy to read this:

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but the members' list in it's current state will most likely be changed. <cut> Most likely, I'd probably put a "top members" type view in place of what we have, such as top trophy/like/posters. The A-Z list is really not of much use beyond a small community.

Great!

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but the members' list in it's current state will most likely be changed. This idea obviously relies on some things that don't exist, though the news feed could be used as alternative. Most likely, I'd probably put a "top members" type view in place of what we have, such as top trophy/like/posters. The A-Z list is really not of much use beyond a small community.
anything is better than the list as default...
also, please add hooks throughout so that we can add to it - it will sure make things easier for admins to create a better (more valuable) page

Really? I think the A-Z list is more useful in a larger community.
it's not "instant" ... people have to look through the list and that could take some time; hence, why people don't use it

one is better off using the search

Top Bottom