Renewals are $55 now?

DarkGizmo

When did this increase happen? Weren't they $40? My license expired in January and I'm looking to renew now, about a month later and it says $55? Why the increase?

So I can get an extension just on Xenforo for $40? I bought Resource Manager but I'm not using it right now, so I have no desire to get an extension on it at this time.

No, once you've bought an add-on the renewal increases. You can't renew just XenForo.

You can have the add-on removed from your license, but you would need to purchase it again if you want to use it in the future.

To be honest - this is the most fair option.
You can have the add-on removed from your license, but you would need to purchase it again if you want to use it in the future.
Out of interest, what would then happen if say for example, XenForo's license expired but the Resource Manager had 9 months left before expiry?

No, once you've bought an add-on the renewal increases. You can't renew just XenForo.

Seems a bit unusual. I don't think I've ever seen a payment model like that before. I used to own an IPB license and I don't recall ever having to renew an addon in order to renew the core. Not trying to be combative here, just genuinely curious to know if there's some security or other good reason that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head for doing it this way...?

It's to prevent situations where you end up with versions that are compatible. (You update to XF 2.0 but you can't update an add-on to a version that works with that. Or vice versa.)

It also just simplifies the whole renewal process significantly.

It's to prevent situations where you end up with versions that are compatible. (You update to XF 2.0 but you can't update an add-on to a version that works with that. Or vice versa.)

It also just simplifies the whole renewal process significantly.

Thanks, Mike. Maybe it might be more fair to maybe just make it clear that no support will be available for either the addon, or the core if the problem involves an incompatibility with an old addon? Or if that wouldn't be practical, at least offer half-price on any future repurchases? I suppose it doesn't become an issue for too many people right now, because most people will make sure they actually need and will use an addon before buying it, but maybe up the road if and when you have three or four addon's for purchase it might get a little tricky. Peoples needs do sometimes change over time, and change again... Anyway, of course it's your show. :cool:

Seems a bit unusual. I don't think I've ever seen a payment model like that before. I used to own an IPB license and I don't recall ever having to renew an addon in order to renew the core. Not trying to be combative here, just genuinely curious to know if there's some security or other good reason that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head for doing it this way...?
I've seen this with desktop software and add-on modules. Personally, I like the XF model an extra $15 on renewal is a pittance for a years access to updates of both the core and the additional product.

Maybe it might be more fair to maybe just make it clear that no support will be available for either the addon, or the core if the problem involves an incompatibility with an old addon?
We can't refuse support for customers with active support.

So the simplest solution for all concerned is to ensure they are always able to upgrade to the latest compatible version.

We can't refuse support for customers with active support.

So the simplest solution for all concerned is to ensure they are always able to upgrade to the latest compatible version.

Yeah, I didn't really think that would work in practice, which is why I made the comment to the affect that it might not be practical. I'm just thinking of cases where a person might not need an addon or two for six months or a year, maybe because they've closed one forum and started a new forum that has different needs, and it seems a bit unfair they'd have to keep paying for other addon's, even if they're not using them, in order to update their forum - but on the other hand, they don't won't to give up their addon licenses because maybe they will want to to use them again some time up the road, maybe on another site, and don't want to have to pay out full price for them again. Seems like they'd be losing out either way. And if at some point there's three or four addon's - well, you get my point. Anyway, I get it, guys, I do. It's the simplest solution. I can't say for sure I wouldn't do the same thing in your shoes. (y)

Last edited:

I understand what you're saying. What I like is the xF is actively working on updates and upgrades - and their software works.

Having come from the VB 5 world, nice ideas but VB did not work well.

I'm willing to fairly support an organization that is constantly improving their product. The xF team has my support!

I understand what you're saying. What I like is the xF is actively working on updates and upgrades - and their software works.

Having come from the VB 5 world, nice ideas but VB did not work well.

I'm willing to fairly support an organization that is constantly improving their product. The xF team has my support!

Well, I suppose I could play Devil's Advocate and argue that there are other platforms that are being actively developed and that just work but that also have more lenient licensing agreements, but I won't. I don't have either of the addon's myself, so it's not an issue that really affects me personally at this point in time. I don't have a vested interest. And the XF team has my support too, or I wouldn't be using the software; and I will be renewing my license when the time comes. I'm just holding out for some better inline moderation options, more permission options for regular users, and better node management - then they'll really have me hooked. ;)

A quick question: my annual support ends tomorrow. If I don't renew it by then, can I still just renew it for example, a week from now?

Top Bottom