1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[rellect] Favicon for Links 2.1.0

Automatically adds favicons to links in messages.

1. rellect

rellect Well-Known Member

rellect submitted a new resource:

Favicon for Links - Automatically adds favicons to links in messages.

Read more about this resource...

2. BamBam

BamBam Active Member

there is always the same image, a little lock image. or is this, because i have a private/closed community?

and when i disable your addon, there is now a little earth image!!! man, what is this? how can i remove this earth image, just remove your addon?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. rellect

Send me a screenshot or a URL to your site. Need to see what's the problem exactly.

About the earth image, it's just the default favicon in case where no favicon found for the URL.
    You should clear your cache to remove it because it is added by css.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. QenTox

QenTox Well-Known Member

Love the idea :love: I will try this out later when I get home. Thanks for sharing! (y)

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

It looks up the favicon every time the post is displayed? Is it cached? 'Cos it's going to slow a thread display down a hell of a lot, isn't it?

6. rellect

Currently I'm using a 3rd party service to pull the favicon, so your server isn't affected by the process of retrieve a favicon from a url.

7. Stuart Wright

If you have quite a few links on a page, it could potentially slow it down though, right?

8. rellect

Well loading the favicons means few* more HTTP requests (1 per link),
    but this shouldn't cause to a noticeable change in the load time.

* I'm planning to reduce the HTTP requests to only one, by making css sprite of all the favicons in the page. But this is planned for later version.

9. smartpixels

smartpixels Active Member

You can use datawriter to cache the content so you dont have to make request everytime and that speeds things up.

Tutorial here
    http://xenforo.com/community/resour...ia-sites-using-oembed.2281/update?update=5842

Adam Howard likes this.
  10. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

Well I got the world icon too and I know that the site in question ESPN has a favicon. Haven't tried it for other sites yet only ESPN.

11. Stuart Wright

Personally I would do it on post creation if it's possible like Chris Deeming's auto link title addon.

HWS and Adam Howard like this.
  12. rellect

There's no need to cache anything since the favicon comes from external service.
    I fixed the issue, it will be released in a few minutes.
    I could do that but it means that old posts won't get the favicon for links (without querying all posts and edit them to add the favicon). It also means that once the addon is removed, the favicons would still be in the message.
    I prefered to go with a reversible technique.

cjwinternet likes this.
  13. rellect

Adam Howard likes this.
  14. Ernest L. Defoe

Works now awesome job and thanks.

15. JordanH

JordanH Well-Known Member

Is there a way you can update this to not work in signatures?

16. Ernest L. Defoe

I actually thought about using it in signatures but there should be an option to now allow in signatures if the site owner so decides.

17. rellect

Noted. Will add this option in the next update.

18. smartpixels

smartpixels Active Member

Did you actually read the link I put. If that 3rd party service goes down then you will end up with lots of requests to nowhere. Anyway its upto to you or the user who tries this addon.

19. rellect

First, thanks for your concern :)
    The service I'm using is from Google, so it is very reliable.
    If there will be requests to store favicons internally, surely I will use cache for that.

20. JordanH

JordanH Well-Known Member

Also, I noticed on images as well.
    [​IMG]

If someone posts a img and links it, it will also show. Not something I want as some people link their logos and such