[rellect] Favicon for Links

[rellect] Favicon for Links 2.1.0

No permission to download

refael

rellect submitted a new resource:

Favicon for Links - Automatically adds favicons to links in messages.

What is a 'favicon'?
A favicon is a graphic image (icon) associated with a particular Web page and/or Web site. Many recent user agents (such as graphical browsers and newsreaders) display them as a visual reminder of the Web site identity in the address bar or in tabs. (from W3C)

What I will get by installing 'Favicon for Links' in my forum?
This addon automatically adds favicons to links in messages.
It does that in...

Read more about this resource...

there is always the same image, a little lock image. or is this, because i have a private/closed community?

and when i disable your addon, there is now a little earth image!!! man, what is this? how can i remove this earth image, just remove your addon?

Last edited:
there is always the same image, a little lock image. or is this, because i have a private/closed community?

and when i disable your addon, there is now a little earth image!!! man, what is this? how can i remove this earth image, just remove your addon?
Send me a screenshot or a URL to your site. Need to see what's the problem exactly.

About the earth image, it's just the default favicon in case where no favicon found for the URL.
You should clear your cache to remove it because it is added by css.

Last edited:
It looks up the favicon every time the post is displayed? Is it cached? 'Cos it's going to slow a thread display down a hell of a lot, isn't it?

It looks up the favicon every time the post is displayed? Is it cached? 'Cos it's going to slow a thread display down a hell of a lot, isn't it?
Currently I'm using a 3rd party service to pull the favicon, so your server isn't affected by the process of retrieve a favicon from a url.

If you have quite a few links on a page, it could potentially slow it down though, right?
Well loading the favicons means few* more HTTP requests (1 per link),
but this shouldn't cause to a noticeable change in the load time.

* I'm planning to reduce the HTTP requests to only one, by making css sprite of all the favicons in the page. But this is planned for later version.

Well loading the favicons means few* more HTTP requests (1 per link),
but this shouldn't cause to a noticeable change in the load time.

* I'm planning to reduce the HTTP requests to only one, by making css sprite of all the favicons in the page. But this is planned for later version.
You can use datawriter to cache the content so you dont have to make request everytime and that speeds things up.

Tutorial here
http://xenforo.com/community/resour...ia-sites-using-oembed.2281/update?update=5842

Well I got the world icon too and I know that the site in question ESPN has a favicon. Haven't tried it for other sites yet only ESPN.

You can use datawriter to cache the content so you dont have to make request everytime and that speeds things up.

Tutorial here
http://xenforo.com/community/resour...ia-sites-using-oembed.2281/update?update=5842
There's no need to cache anything since the favicon comes from external service.
Well I got the world icon too and I know that the site in question ESPN has a favicon. Haven't tried it for other sites yet only ESPN.
I fixed the issue, it will be released in a few minutes.
Personally I would do it on post creation if it's possible like Chris Deeming's auto link title addon.
I could do that but it means that old posts won't get the favicon for links (without querying all posts and edit them to add the favicon). It also means that once the addon is removed, the favicons would still be in the message.
I prefered to go with a reversible technique.

I actually thought about using it in signatures but there should be an option to now allow in signatures if the site owner so decides.

There's no need to cache anything since the favicon comes from external service.
Did you actually read the link I put. If that 3rd party service goes down then you will end up with lots of requests to nowhere. Anyway its upto to you or the user who tries this addon.

Did you actually read the link I put. If that 3rd party service goes down then you will end up with lots of requests to nowhere. Anyway its upto to you or the user who tries this addon.
First, thanks for your concern :)
The service I'm using is from Google, so it is very reliable.
If there will be requests to store favicons internally, surely I will use cache for that.

Noted. Will add this option in the next update.
Also, I noticed on images as well.
52ig.png

If someone posts a img and links it, it will also show. Not something I want as some people link their logos and such

Top Bottom