Referral Contests 2 by Siropu

Referral Contests 2 by Siropu [Paid] 2.2.14

No permission to buy (€29.99)
The error is the reason the prizes are awarded multiple times. I have made a new change, please try it now.

I love the add on, but I do find the 'referral reward' and 'what drives contest rankings' aspects confusing. I know when someone asked for a demo of some kind on how to set up a contest, you referred them to the 'options' menu, but I think those options are not entirely clear. In the 'options' section, it has a single field to identify the 'referral reward' and a numerical field. It sounds like the only 2 option available for 'referral reward' are either 'trophy points' or 'DB credits' - is that correct? So let's say I select 'Trophy Points' - is the numerical field there the number of 'trophy points' the referrer gets for each referral? As far as a contest goes, when I am looking at the parameters available when creating a contest, there is a 'Prizes' section. I originally thought I could list items I might award in a contest here (a sticker, a hat, t-shirt, etc...) but it looks like the prize types available in the right hand field are either 'Trophy Points' or 'DB credits' - is that right? If so - what are the numerical fields for on the left in the 'Prizes' section? Would the top row be for first prize (let's say I put a '10' there - does that mean that the 1st place winner (most referrals during contest period) would earn '10 Trophy Points'? and if I place another line below that with '5' and 'Trophy Points' would that designate that the referrer with the 2nd most referrals would earn '5 Trophy Points'?

Basically, I want to run a contest where I can give physical prizes to our top 3 referrers during the contest period (t-shirt, hat, sticker, etc..). But I'm not clear if I should list those items in the 'Add Reward Type' section or if I have to use 'Trophy Points' there in order for the add on to calculate referrals correctly? It sounds like if I want to identify physical prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers, that this isn't part of the software and I would have to have a thread explaining that referrers who have successful referrals will be awarded 'Trophy Points' and that the 3 members with the most contest 'Trophy Points' at the end of the contest period will be awarded 'x' physical prizes. Is that correct?

Sorry if I am being dense here. I feel like the options are not as intuitive as they could be though - maybe most using this mod used a Xenforo 1 version, or have worked with referral add ons previously. For me, with no experience, it is a little muddy. I would really appreciate more info on the above so I can get how this works conceptually and in the settings straight. Thanks in advance!

So let's say I select 'Trophy Points' - is the numerical field there the number of 'trophy points' the referrer gets for each referral?
Yes.

Basically, I want to run a contest where I can give physical prizes to our top 3 referrers during the contest period (t-shirt, hat, sticker, etc..). But I'm not clear if I should list those items in the 'Add Reward Type' section or if I have to use 'Trophy Points' there in order for the add on to calculate referrals correctly?
The prizes section is optional so you can specify the physical prizes in the contests description directly.

So it it accurate to say I could set up the optional prize list as shown below and it wouldn’t impact calculation of points in the contest? I think it only makes sense to list the contest prizes in the ‘view prizes’ pop up...

87C07E22-8999-4BF2-843C-45221F6D67C3.webp

It is not designed to work with physical prizes, so the list won't show up unless you set trophy points or credits. I will add an extra reward type for that in the next release.

I think I am following now. So if I set it up as currently designed, I might have the prizes set for 1st place = 100 Trophy points, 2nd place = 50 Trophy points, etc.... and those trophy point #'s would show up under 'Amount' on the 'View Prizes' list above. And at contest close, the system would award those trophy points based on finishing position - have I got it right now?

We're just launching our Xenforo board (coming from a decade on vBulletin) so we and our users are only vaguely familiar with 'Trophy points' (and why anyone would be excited about getting them …lol..). I guess as you said, my only option is to reference the physical prizes for finishing position in the contest description.

Last edited:
I can't seem to get the email friend invite to send an email even as an Admin. After creating the email, and clicking send, I get a 'no invitation was sent' message'? Any ideas what the issue might be?

That could be the issue... I may have used an email I have assigned to a test account. I'll try a unique one - thanks wouldn't have thought of that...

Love this add-on so far!

I appended the referral parameter to the "share this page" widget to encourage more referrals. Amazing.

Love this add-on so far!

I appended the referral parameter to the "share this page" widget to encourage more referrals. Amazing.

For the semi-tech-challenged among us, can you be more specific? I assume you mean there's now a 'Refer from this page' link in the 'share this page' toolbar - but how did you set that up?

For the semi-tech-challenged among us, can you be more specific? I assume you mean there's now a 'Refer from this page' link in the 'share this page' toolbar - but how did you set that up?
For the share this page bit, i.e.:
1583106803023.webp1583106924337.webp
it now adds the referral bit to whatever page the widget is on, for example the twitter share button used to do this
1583107756073.webp
but now:
1583107828496.webp

To do this, I added the following to share_page_macros
HTML:
<xf:if is="$xf.visitor.user_id">
    <xf:set var="$refurl" value="?ref={$xf.visitor.user_id}"/>
</xf:if>

and wherever {url} was in the share buttons I have enabled, I added {$refurl} directly after

Top Bottom