Lack of interest Redirect merged threads

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

xf_phantom

I would really love to see a thread redirect by merged threads seperate from the public "expire" feature.

If you merge 2 threads, 1 won't be accessible anymore (if you don't use the expire feature, or if it expired).
The user will get only a stupid error message
The requested thread could not be found.
This is bad for SEO and for the usability.
I think it would be much better to make a permanent redirect to the new thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
e.g. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/drag-and-drop-forums-in-node-tree.25835/

there brogan linked to a thread http://xenforo.com/community/threads/visual-node-tree-arrange-tool.5076/ which was probably merged with another thread...:D
How can i found the thread now?:p (or was it deleted? )
If it was deleted, it would make sense to see the "not found" error, but not if it was just merged with another.
Even a notice "this thread was merged with ......" linking to the new thread if the user has perms to see the new thread, would be userfriendlier then the current situation

I mean without the "expiring" feature.

It shouldn't be visible in the node list, BUT if somebody calls the old url (e.g. comming from google or another page with an old link), it should still redirect to the new thread, even the "public redirect notice" expired

but i just realized, that it's not really necessary,

I could create an addon which makes the merged thread redirects expiring in 100 months

You set merge thread redirect expiry lengths.

View attachment 48337
Yea that's what i wanted to do, but just got an error as i tried to use 900 months^^

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'expiry_date' at row 1 - library\Zend\Db\Statement\Mysqli.php:214

Just trying to find the bug^^

I could create probably an cron do update them once a month:D but it's not exactly what my suggestions was, because the threads would still appear in the thread list @Mike mentioned this too
Maybe i could hide them with an addon or change all the fetch queries, but i don't like to use addons changing too much in the core

summery=> that's why i made this suggestion, it's much better if it's in the core and i don't need to worry about this:cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom