Lack of interest When merging a thread, redirect to the page it first appears in the merged thread.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

sub_ubi

When you merge a thread and use the option to leave a redirect in place, that link should direct to the point in the merged thread where it first appears.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If I leave a redirect, I would expect it to direct to the start of the destination thread.

The reason for merging threads is because they are the exact same topic, so it would seem odd to me that a link might go to half through a topic.

I can understand an argument in favour of the suggestion, but it does imply that maybe two thread on (slightly?) different topics are merged. Is there a good reason to do that I wonder?

If I leave a redirect, I would expect it to direct to the start of the destination thread.

The reason for merging threads is because they are the exact same topic, so it would seem odd to me that a link might go to half through a topic.

I can understand an argument in favour of the suggestion, but it does imply that maybe two thread on (slightly?) different topics are merged. Is there a good reason to do that I wonder?
we have resources that have discussion threads about that resource. if someone posts a new thread to ask a question about that resource, we merge it into the already existing, vibrant, robust, and active discussion --- when you click the redirect it would take you to the first post, first page of the discussion thread - this could be 50 pages back.

in my mind, and in our use case, the redirect should redirect to where the post itself is

we have resources that have discussion threads about that resource. if someone posts a new thread to ask a question about that resource, we merge it into the already existing, vibrant, robust, and active discussion --- when you click the redirect it would take you to the first post, first page of the discussion thread - this could be 50 pages back.

in my mind, and in our use case, the redirect should redirect to where the post itself is
Ah I wasn’t aware a resource could have more than one associated thread. On here there only ever seems to be one thread per resource.

Ah I wasn’t aware a resource could have more than one associated thread. On here there only ever seems to be one thread per resource.
it isn't, that is the point.

a resource would have a discussion thread.

let me make up an example

Awesome Bread Resource
- Awesome Bread Discussion thread - 50 pages

user might make a new thread "Question about Awesome Bread" --- this is a thread we would merge into Awesome Bread Discussion

user might make a new thread "Question about Awesome Bread" ---
OK so they around that situation here by replying “please post in the appropriate addon discussion”

In that case I would just merge with no redirect. Ideally you’d catch it before there are any replies so basically just move the post.

But yes, I do get your reasoning but the post would be showing in new posts.

So I get the point but I wouldn’t want this to be the default behaviour of merge redirects.

Top Bottom