1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Redirect merged threads

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by xf_phantom, Jun 7, 2013.

1. xf_phantom

xf_phantom Well-Known Member

I would really love to see a thread redirect by merged threads seperate from the public "expire" feature.

If you merge 2 threads, 1 won't be accessible anymore (if you don't use the expire feature, or if it expired).
    The user will get only a stupid error message
    This is bad for SEO and for the usability.
    I think it would be much better to make a permanent redirect to the new thread.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    erich37 likes this.
  2. xf_phantom

e.g. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/drag-and-drop-forums-in-node-tree.25835/

there brogan linked to a thread http://xenforo.com/community/threads/visual-node-tree-arrange-tool.5076/ which was probably merged with another thread...:D
    How can i found the thread now?:p (or was it deleted? )
    If it was deleted, it would make sense to see the "not found" error, but not if it was just merged with another.
    Even a notice "this thread was merged with ......" linking to the new thread if the user has perms to see the new thread, would be userfriendlier then the current situation

3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They do redirect. That thread was just deleted. I'd show you one, but the expiring redirects aren't there anymore.

xf_phantom likes this.
  4. xf_phantom

I mean without the "expiring" feature.

It shouldn't be visible in the node list, BUT if somebody calls the old url (e.g. comming from google or another page with an old link), it should still redirect to the new thread, even the "public redirect notice" expired

5. xf_phantom

but i just realized, that it's not really necessary,

I could create an addon which makes the merged thread redirects expiring in 100 months

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That would show up in the thread list though, which is presumably not what you want...

xf_phantom likes this.
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You set merge thread redirect expiry lengths.

Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 2.40.20 PM.png

8. xf_phantom

Yea that's what i wanted to do, but just got an error as i tried to use 900 months^^

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'expiry_date' at row 1 - library\Zend\Db\Statement\Mysqli.php:214

Just trying to find the bug^^

I could create probably an cron do update them once a month:D but it's not exactly what my suggestions was, because the threads would still appear in the thread list @Mike mentioned this too
    Maybe i could hide them with an addon or change all the fetch queries, but i don't like to use addons changing too much in the core

summery=> that's why i made this suggestion, it's much better if it's in the core and i don't need to worry about this:cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013