Redirect Issue on IIS

Hey everyone,

I am trying to install xenForo for the first time. I am doing this on Windows Server 2012 with IIS8 but I'm coming across an issue that goes on about redirect loops. For example:

This webpage has a redirect loop The webpage at http://xxxxxx.com/install/index.php?install/ has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer. Here are some suggestions: Reload this web page later. Learn more about this problem. Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

Unfortunately the fix for it was a hotfix for IIS 7.0 and I assume it should have been fixed in the newer versions? Does anyone have any solutions so I can get this installed.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi,

We have mostly only Windows servers but we're still running 2008 R2 with IIS 7.5 -- we didn't run into this issue at all, that I can remember. So I would assume it's just a configuration issue in your case.

A few things off top of my head:

1) Make sure HTTP redirect is not enabled.
2) Check your bindings for the domain
3) You may want to try deleting the virtual directory from the IIS manager and recreating it with a fresh mapping.
4) Try a different browser, just in case.

Does IIS 8.0 still use the web.config file? Check it for any rouge entries.

One other thing... just in case, disable or remove the URL Rewrite settings for XF if you already had them setup. (a just in case measure... I *did* run into an issue with this at one point)

Hi,

We have mostly only Windows servers but we're still running 2008 R2 with IIS 7.5 -- we didn't run into this issue at all, that I can remember. So I would assume it's just a configuration issue in your case.

A few things off top of my head:

1) Make sure HTTP redirect is not enabled.
2) Check your bindings for the domain
3) You may want to try deleting the virtual directory from the IIS manager and recreating it with a fresh mapping.
4) Try a different browser, just in case.

Does IIS 8.0 still use the web.config file? Check it for any rouge entries.

1. Isn't enabled
2. Just checked the bindings
3. Just tried that and the error still happens
4. Doesn't matter on the browser

I believe IIS 8 still uses the web.config file but using something called helicon manager to deal with the htaccess files.

One other thing... just in case, disable or remove the URL Rewrite settings for XF if you already had them setup. (a just in case measure... I *did* run into an issue with this at one point)

I assume that's something done when you've installed it?

Hmm... I stopped using Helicon with IIS 7.5. (had it for IIS 6.0)

IIS 8.0 should have the same URL Rewriting module (0r more improved) that IIS 7.5 had available.

You can use this page to set your URL rewrite: http://xenforo.com/help/friendly-urls/ (refer to IIS section)

If you remove Helicon, any difference?

I assume that's something done when you've installed it?

For IIS 7.5, I added the URL Rewrite Module to IIS and used the link above to set the rewrite rules (same as what's in the .htaccess). << I did this after the base install was done.

I'm not sure what else there is... that would cause your issue.

@nrep, this particular issue may not be what you're seeing. When it's an install redirect, that can often indicate the files haven't been uploaded correctly or the wrong URL is being used. If it's after an install, it may be something else; it can be hard to be certain as the loop can be caused by bad custom redirects. Otherwise, it might imply that data isn't being passed along to XF correctly.

@nrep, this particular issue may not be what you're seeing. When it's an install redirect, that can often indicate the files haven't been uploaded correctly or the wrong URL is being used. If it's after an install, it may be something else; it can be hard to be certain as the loop can be caused by bad custom redirects. Otherwise, it might imply that data isn't being passed along to XF correctly.

Thanks, I was barking up the wrong tree with this question it seems, as this occurred when the server was first provisioned. It turns out I had to enable ASP.NET 4.5 extensions on the application pool, otherwise the rewrite rules wouldn't work properly. Not entirely sure why, but the rewrites work fine now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom