XF 2.1 Redirect issue on an Installation on IIS 8.5

I am having an issue getting the initial install to run.

For background information, first, I should state I performed an initial install on a Server 2012 and install ran fine without any issues.

We are now ready to install on our main test server so we can test a database migration etc moving a long time Vbulletin over.

On my initial install I ran it on a server that happened to have Helicon installed, mysql running as local host. (just background info really)

For our main test server, Helicon is not installed so I followed the friendly url advice stated here

IIS is pointed at the root domain, and I have the install files in a sub folder /forum/

When I try to run the install, it starts and gives the appearance it may be running with busy mouse, then suddenly it redirects to
root/index.php?install/

I double checked my first run install, and IIS is set up the same, pointed at root with the install being run out of /forum/ with the only difference being helicon not installed on the server that fails.

All updates have been run on the OS, >NET is version 4.8 I think and all patches are up to date.
I verified that folder permissions are correct on the 2 data folders for the IUSR

I checked the url rewrite in IIS on the sub folder, and it does not show any errors, and all 3 rewrite rules do appear to be correct in the web config in the /forum/ folder.

Since this is only a test install the root web only contains a test txt file in order to be able to verify easily the web service is in a running state.

I have attempted to run the install on various browsers, Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Opera and all do the same thing with the redirect.

Is the syntax on the rewrite rules slightly different for IIS 8 or 8.5

What am I missing?

Rick
Universal4

For background on licensing, I would like to publicly state, any test severs we are using are behind additional authentication and are absolutely not available to the public so as to conform to licensing, and only the final install will be available to the public once we work out a migration and are happy with the results etc.

Last edited:
As I stated previously, I had already successfully installed and ran xenforo stock install on IIS previously, using helicon so redirects were handled in the /forum/ folder by htaccess.

It turns out that we needed to move the web config file changes into the root folder, on a server that is not running helicon, and once we did the install ran properly, so I will now get to work on testing a migration.

Rick
Universal4

If you would have moved just the web.config file to the forum directory the install would have worked there too. IIS doesn't recursively look through the document root for the file. It has to be in the directory you are running the files from. The reason it worked with helicon is it used the default .htaccess file supplied in the xenforo zip. If a web.config file had been supplied the install would work.

Top Bottom