Lack of interest Redactor: Smilies should be drop down

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
To me, it feels completely unintuative to click the smilies button, to then have them apear at the bottom of the reply box, this becomes especially apparent in very long posts. If I want to apply formatting to anything else using the editor, its all at the top, so why would smilies be any different?

A small suggestion to make the smilies box a drop down once again as it was on tinymce.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I prefer it the new way, personally. First thing I do now is click the smiley button and open them up so they're on display at the bottom while I'm typing. It's going to be great for those sites with a gazillion smilies. Open it up and find a relevant smiley, without having to stop, click the smiley button, scroll through the dropdown menu... etc etc.:coffee:

I actually read the update as an alternative, so it seems that this should be an option. I personally don't mind either way.

I prefer it the new way, personally. First thing I do now is click the smiley button and open them up so they're on display at the bottom while I'm typing. It's going to be great for those sites with a gazillion smilies. Open it up and find a relevant smiley, without having to stop, click the smiley button, scroll through the dropdown menu... etc etc.:coffee:

Agreed.

The new placement is far more usable for those that use alot of smilies which most of us do. Plus all the reasons Az mentioned.

He could probably make it an overly with a template edit... Not sure how that'd work tho...

I hope not. This is taking a step back to 1999 when you used to click that "more Smilies" link to view all smilies essentially this would be a enhanced popup, imo an unnecessary one. The smilies below text area works well and better than any overlay (enhanced popup) would.

Perhaps its the fact that there's a little space between activating smilies and the container. A nice solution would be when you click in the text area the smilie container opens.

@Shelley : Agreed. I much prefer the new way, but I feel like an overly can be accomplished if need be. (y) Also, its instantaneous post-initial load...

Instead of having the smilies drop down all the way at the bottom, why not have it drop down right under the editor buttons that spans the whole width of the editor. Maybe have two rows of the smilies, and have it scroll to view the rest.

Never used smilies lists. Whether it's just a list or a popup I still don't get that idea of loosing my text cursor out of sight and then clicking on an image and guessing where is pastes. I solved that issue a long time ago: just learned smilie codes that I need most. For rare smilies it's not important is it a list or a popup. ;)

Instead of having the smilies drop down all the way at the bottom, why not have it drop down right under the editor buttons that spans the whole width of the editor. Maybe have two rows of the smilies, and have it scroll to view the rest.

Below it allows the system to 'scale' correctly. If you had 80 rows of smilies the buttons now become extremely far from the text and closing them becomes more difficult. (y)

The advantage of having smilies down there is that you can insert multiple smiles without opening a dropdown over and over. You have a better overview of your smilies and this opens the possibilty of having categorized smilies via tabs.

To me, it feels completely unintuative to click the smilies button, to then have them apear at the bottom of the reply box, this becomes especially apparent in very long posts.
<snip>
A small suggestion to make the smilies box a drop down once again as it was on tinymce.
Actually I think that this way is more intuitive, in long posts your cursor/focus point is at the bottom. So after clicking the smiley button once the full list is now always in view and it's right where your focus is at.

xf.webp

The old way requires me to go up, click the smiley button, and select the smiley every time I want to add one.

xf2.webp

If I want to apply formatting to anything else using the editor, its all at the top, so why would smilies be any different?
Most formatting can be done with keyboard shortcuts, which means I seldom have to scroll up.

Here's an idea... give the user (or admin) the option to have the smilies automaticly viewable whenever the editor is loaded. That way they are seen automatically instead of having to click on the smilie button every time.

Top Bottom