Redactor or TinyMce?

Redactor

• Total voters
That's what Mike and brogam keep saying but it still condemns us to use it on here!
Plus there are lots of admins who use XF as default. Making a feature customisable, even if far more so than the previous version, doesnt help them.

The ones that do like it just the way it is are not nearly as vocal as those that do not.

Also, how is it being much easier to customize not helping?

Finally new visitors here are not getting agood impression. Some may like it but plenty won't and a couple of simple edits would fix it so most would.

Where are you gathering this data from? One thread made about it?

Last edited:
Actually, maybe I don't need it to look like ckeditor. I just want to change the color of the dull gray to a light grayish blue.

Of course we can all style it on our own installations, but here's a thought... browsers have, some for far longer than others, support a user style sheet - a style sheet that can be applied a site or sites of your choice with your own markup.

Don't like the editor on this site? Use a user style sheet and replace it - even here.

Of course we can all style it on our own installations, but here's a thought... browsers have, some for far longer than others, support a user style sheet - a style sheet that can be applied a site or sites of your choice with your own markup.

Don't like the editor on this site? Use a user style sheet and replace it - even here.

Yeah @Naatan released a resource @Robbo created that did that for Xenforo.com forums.

How?
I still think it's pretty insulting to dump this fugly on us here - XF design has always been so pleasant before.

It isn't fugly - it isn't that bad.

I can see why some people don't like it. I can see why some people do. I can also see why it has caused the drama it has because it's one of those things that people really will interact with - but I can see the validity in Brogan and Mike's arguments.

The trouble is, if it is changed to something like you've indicated you'd like, it would probably cause more trouble than leaving it as it is :unsure:

At least with XenForo it *can* be changed without having to edit the core files. Some forum software I know of has that limitation to it. It's something I've been meaning to fix for a while for the sites that use that software (since not every site I run uses XF, I have one on IPB, one on vB 3.8, several on SMF and some on something else entirely... I go with what the community wants/needs rather than what is most convenient for me)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/?src=external-userstyleshome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe

Those 2 extensions make it so you can style any website and save it so the next time you visit it will look as you designed it. Working great for Redactor here :p

upload_2013-6-6_22-46-25.webp

Code:
.redactor_box {
    border: 1px solid #D7EDFC;
}

.redactor_toolbar {
    background: #f7fbff; /* Old browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%, #eff6ff 100%); /* FF3.6+ */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(1%,#f7fbff), color-stop(100%,#eff6ff)); /* Chrome,Safari4+ */
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* Opera 11.10+ */
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* IE10+ */
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* W3C */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#f7fbff', endColorstr='#eff6ff',GradientType=0 ); /* IE6-9 */
    border-bottom: 1px solid #D7EDFC;
}
.redactor_toolbar li.redactor_btn_group ul {
    background: #eaf4ff; /* Old browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%, #f7faff 100%); /* FF3.6+ */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(2%,#eaf4ff), color-stop(100%,#f7faff)); /* Chrome,Safari4+ */
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* Opera 11.10+ */
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* IE10+ */
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* W3C */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#eaf4ff', endColorstr='#f7faff',GradientType=0 ); /* IE6-9 */
}

.redactor_toolbar li a:hover {
    background-color: #D5EFFD;
    border-color: #A5CAE4;
}

.redactor_toolbar li a:active, .redactor_toolbar li a.redactor_act {
}

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/?src=external-userstyleshome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe

Those 2 extensions make it so you can style any website and save it so the next time you visit it will look as you designed it. Working great for Redactor here :p

View attachment 48253

Code:
.redactor_box {
}

.redactor_toolbar {
    background: #f7fbff; /* Old browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%, #eff6ff 100%); /* FF3.6+ */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(1%,#f7fbff), color-stop(100%,#eff6ff)); /* Chrome,Safari4+ */
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* Opera 11.10+ */
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* IE10+ */
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,  #f7fbff 1%,#eff6ff 100%); /* W3C */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#f7fbff', endColorstr='#eff6ff',GradientType=0 ); /* IE6-9 */
    border-bottom: 1px solid #D7EDFC;
}
.redactor_toolbar li.redactor_btn_group ul {
    background: #eaf4ff; /* Old browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%, #f7faff 100%); /* FF3.6+ */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(2%,#eaf4ff), color-stop(100%,#f7faff)); /* Chrome,Safari4+ */
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* Opera 11.10+ */
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* IE10+ */
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,  #eaf4ff 2%,#f7faff 100%); /* W3C */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#eaf4ff', endColorstr='#f7faff',GradientType=0 ); /* IE6-9 */
}

.redactor_toolbar li a:hover {
}

.redactor_toolbar li a:active, .redactor_toolbar li a.redactor_act {
}

Oh my God that looks WAAAAY BETTER.

That's REALLY good - it matches the XF house style very comfortably.
Thank you.

I actually don't really like the blue at all, light gray/s will always stand out more which the editor should. Just really bland being the same blue as secondaryContent. The gray really is fine with me and from what I have been playing with thus far it is far easier to style than TinyMCE's crazy amounts of CSS to get what you want. (Yes voted for Redactor :p)

Another, I actually like it also.
upload_2013-6-7_1-10-56.webp

i tried installing it with Stylish but it didn't work.

You can PC me if you want some guidance, but you have to enter the URL to match pages you're viewing.

Last edited:
But forum pages are dynamic so ... does it "keep up"?
It just recognises me link between USER + (repeated) CODE UNIT + DOMAIN
That it?

@ Qwk86gn the peach version is lovely too. Again this integrates with XF instead of looking like an imported component from another site. Very nice.

If you are using the Chrome plugin, you just need to set it to apply to "URLs on domain" and set it to be xenforo.com.

Top Bottom