Implemented Redactor Jquery editor instead of Tinymce

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ah! so ckeditor actually breaks that functionality? nice feature:) Good to know. Even a plain textarea would have working spellcheck.
Yup, it does. A lot of them seem to break it on OS X and Linux.

We all know that no web WYSIWYG is 'good' they all suck big time, its just a case of finding one that does the job the least-bad. TinyMCE has working spell check but fudged HTML generation, CKEditor has broken spell check but (only slightly) better HTML generation.

Generally they are all 100% crap unfortunately, and there will never be a way to get them 'right'.

Also for what its worth - ANY wysiwyg will break spellcheck, it has to be 'reenabled' which is what TinyMCE seems to be doing - when you type in a WYSIWYG box, you aren't typing into a textarea, you're typing into an editable div. Hence why spellcheck tends to be buggy.

Respectfully, does a forum text editor really need "add-ons"? It's probably worth investigating how many of these features are actually necessary for the enjoyment and functionality of your site. If you look at any of the major (modern) social/community platforms, they generally have completely bare-bones editing. These platforms are well thought-out and designed like this for very good reasons. Tumblr has a slightly more comprehensive editor which is actually a customized TinyMCE config, but it's stripped right down to the essentials (bold, italic, links, list, upload photo).

The more I was looking at these editors, wysihtml5 seems like a really nice choice. Clean implementation and markup. Have you checked it out?

I would really like to have a chose of simple editor (bold, italic, links, underline, list, h1, h2, upload photo).

I would really like to have a chose of simple editor (bold, italic, links, underline, list, h1, h2, upload photo).
That's very similar to my list. I think that core set covers most visitor requirements in almost every scenario. You could even lose the h1/h2/underline without any impact. I'd consider any additional features to be edge-case stuff. Plenty will disagree with me, but I'd bet their philosophy is reflected in the appearance and experience provided by their forums.

Yup, it does. A lot of them seem to break it on OS X and Linux.

We all know that no web WYSIWYG is 'good' they all suck big time, its just a case of finding one that does the job the least-bad. TinyMCE has working spell check but fudged HTML generation, CKEditor has broken spell check but (only slightly) better HTML generation.

Generally they are all 100% crap unfortunately, and there will never be a way to get them 'right'.

Also for what its worth - ANY wysiwyg will break spellcheck, it has to be 'reenabled' which is what TinyMCE seems to be doing - when you type in a WYSIWYG box, you aren't typing into a textarea, you're typing into an editable div. Hence why spellcheck tends to be buggy.
Thanks for pointing this out. I just did some really brief testing. The short summary is that spell check seems to work for me across any modern browser on Mac using TinyMCE (older and new versions). CKEditor appears to consistently break spelling everywhere that I tested, even with their latest release. What a joke.

That's very similar to my list. I think that core set covers most visitor requirements in almost every scenario. You could even lose the h1/h2/underline without any impact. I'd consider any additional features to be edge-case stuff. Plenty will disagree with me, but I'd bet their philosophy is reflected in the appearance and experience provided by their forums.

Thanks for pointing this out. I just did some really brief testing. The short summary is that spell check seems to work for me across any modern browser on Mac using TinyMCE (older and new versions). CKEditor appears to consistently break spelling everywhere that I tested, even with their latest release. What a joke.

I would get rid of the code at first.I don't really know but I assume it uses a lot of css and js. Say how many forums are using that? 10%? less? There is a forum software that provides the code complitlly separate. One can install if necessary during the installation. Very handy decision tho.

H1 and h2 are kinda vital on my community. Most of the times we really need title and subtitle as some of the materials are 10-12 pages

I love that the developers of this fine product actually listen to what their customers want. It makes me glad that I use xF and not something else. Any other forum product while they let you suggest features but rarely add them.

Top Bottom