• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.3 Recommendation for subforums

upnet

Does anyone have recommendations on how I should go about adding subforums to my site? I want to add a section for different cities around the world. If I just create child forums under a category it lists them all out. Considering I might have 20-50 cities, this isn't a reasonable solutionn for me. Here is a screenshot of a category i created 'markets' with a few sample cities. I would be populating this list with at least 10 cities for now, and probably up to 50 in the future. Any advice or examples would be apprecaited.

MARKETS.jpg

Amaury

By default sub-forums are shown in a popup menu, like so:
upload_2014-6-24_19-20-36.png

So it shouldn't cause any display issues for you to just make child nodes.

upnet

Thanks for the response. I must be creating them incorrectly? I tried before creating a forum and then creating forums as the first forums children, but it still came up in a list like the screenshot I showed. Am I missing some aspect of creating sub-forums in XF1.3?

upnet

Here I created a forum node called 'Markets' and then I created the other nodes as forums as well but as childs of the Market forum, but it all just appears on the home page?
MARKETS.jpg

AndyB

I suggest each city have it's own forum. Having 50 forums in a category called Cities will be fine. I suggest you show them in alphabetical order. Be sure to number the cities (internal Node Tree number) with a gap of say 10 so you will be able to add new cities and have them show in the correct order.

upnet

I suggest each city have it's own forum. Having 50 forums in a category called Cities will be fine. I suggest you show them in alphabetical order. Be sure to number the cities (internal Node Tree number) with a gap of say 10 so you will be able to add new cities and have them show in the correct order.
Hey AndyB - do you have an example of what you mean? Like my first screenshot but all the cities listed out on the front page? I'm thinking I don't want it to be 4 scrolls worth on the 1st page. How do I get the sub-forum dropdown like "resource and add-on release"?

Amaury

What you have are forums, not sub-forums. In this case, for example, Markets is a category and Seattle, Tampa, Boston, Los Angeles are forums.

What you could do is this: leave Markets as a category and create a forum under it called Cities or something like that. Then make Seattle, Tampa, Boston, Los Angeles, and whatever else sub-forums of Cities.

upnet

I must not understand how to create sub-forums. What I have done is create a forum node and then make it a child of the category/forum node of 'markets'. Can you tell me what I'm missing to create a sub-forum?

AndyB

Hey AndyB - do you have an example of what you mean? Like my first screenshot but all the cities listed out on the front page?
Correct.

Here'e a link to my forum and it has over 100 forums on the forum list.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/

It is important to try it on the three types of devices your members will be using, full size screen, tablet and mobile device.

I'm thinking I don't want it to be 4 scrolls worth on the 1st page. How do I get the sub-forum dropdown like "resource and add-on release"?
Sub-forums should be avoided IMHO as they are difficult to use on mobile devices.

upnet

Got it! Thanks Amaury! So that leads me to another question though. Can I put my existing forums that you see in the first screenshot into a new category? I didn't realize they should have one when I created them :\