Recommend Hosting Please!!

denisx04

Keep getting an 500 external error ( and we haven't even launched )

So please recommend me a good host to switch over to.

It's likely not the host, and more likely something you're doing on your end...file permissions problems, etc. Why you don't paste the error logs and we can try to get you sorted out on your current host?

I would like to recommend www.hostiso.com, we host with them numerous xenForo forums, and they not only provide fully optimized hosting but also full support for xenForo, CDN and much more ...

Nimbus - very reliable - FAST targeted support - and the guy I talk to most has his own XF so he understands it.
Also for me a good option as the are in the UK same timezone as me, so support contact is easy, with telephone contact if really needed.

XFhost is very good too. Mike at XFHost once rescued me from a disaster zone with immense patience and efficiency. He is a member here, see above. Very nice guy.

I'd recommend choosing between those two as proven services.

hostiso only appeared recently too new to trust yet unless you want o experiment with a minor site.

Shared Hosting: StableHost and HawkHost
VPS: KnownHost and WiredTree

Used them all, 100/10 rating for all of them. I never, ever had a second of downtime, both stablehost and hawkhost use litespeed and they are super fast. Knownhost and wiredtree, well no need to talk about them, you should know them already, golden lions out there for Managed VPS Solutions...

Never tried xFHost, but it's always a good idea to support people in the same community :) If you read good reviews about them, go with em ;)

I tried xfhost.net for a period of 15 days. I experienced the following:
- quick support
- constant downtime (atleast 6 in that period)
- a few things such as chris deemings addon installer did not work as Mike did not set permissions properly. Had to redo the permissions so that my existing addons would work such as sitemaps etc.
- cpanel memory usage did not work and was told it was too hard to get it fixed and to not use that feature.

I would never recommend them. I am still waiting on the 30 day money back guarantee...

In the end it was simply not worth all the trouble. I have since moved to a dedicated VPS in my own region (australia/nz), low latency, excellent quick support, and 0 downtime in about 1.5 months. VPSCity.co.nz is my new host and highly recommended for ppl Australia/NZ.

Welcome to xF Host Denis! I'm happy your site is no longer kicking 500 internal errors left and right for you :D

I tried xfhost.net for a period of 15 days. I experienced the following:

- quick support

Thank you. Kind of odd, that your review is both good and bad, almost seems one side of it is a bit exaggerated.

- constant downtime (atleast 6 in that period)

6 times in 15 days? I don't think we would have as many people recommending us on this site as we do that being the case. I show 2 tickets where you had issues, the first was time outs, this was within the first day with us and DNS had not updated yet. The other was a site error you were receiving and that was caused by memcache being mis-configured in your config file.

- a few things such as chris deemings addon installer did not work as Mike did not set permissions properly. Had to redo the permissions so that my existing addons would work such as sitemaps etc.

This is not a matter of me not setting up permissions properly, if you look in the add-on thread, it has been even responded by Chris the security concern with using it with Fast-CGI. The addon is intended more for a handler like suPHP. So it is not that it is not set up correctly, it is we will not make the changes required for it in exchange to lower the security level of our servers.

- cpanel memory usage did not work and was told it was too hard to get it fixed and to not use that feature.

Not sure what your talking about here..

I would never recommend them. I am still waiting on the 30 day money back guarantee...

When did you request it? Looking up your account, I show a cancel request, cancel reason being "Service was very good but too much latency from Australia/NZ". I can not locate any ticket you requesting a refund. Please let me know the ticket number so if can get that squared away for you.

Reactions: rdn
Keep getting an 500 external error ( and we haven't even launched )

So please recommend me a good host to switch over to.

You might want to mention what sort of traffic you expect, etc......

If it is really a startup (low to medium traffic) and you need a bit of hand holding..and are US based, Mike can probably help you.

If, on the other hand, you expect millions of page views per month (yeah, that's possible), then you need to consider a lot of factors before switching.

I have switched over to XFHost. Just want to thank Mike Edge for the quick transfer and instant support. A+ so far.

I don't know about xfhost but Mike is a nice and a guy with knowledge on the field.Fixed my server over a firewall issue though it was not in xfhost.But I fear that he forgot to reply to my pm and mails after that :o.
Finally:he never asked me to do a review so it's just authentic :P

Sorry Vijaichander, must have missed your reply some how. My inbox tends to fill up on some days. Feel free to contact me again.

Thank you. Kind of odd, that your review is both good and bad, almost seems one side of it is a bit exaggerated.

dont get me wrong, i think you are a good and helpful guy. But i do think that you are way over your head trying to be a one man shop hosting so many sites.

6 times in 15 days? I don't think we would have as many people recommending us on this site as we do that being the case. I show 2 tickets where you had issues, the first was time outs, this was within the first day with us and DNS had not updated yet. The other was a site error you were receiving and that was caused by memcache being mis-configured in your config file.

have a look at my pingdom stats for the time my site was with you...yes i do understand that ppl like to support other forum regulars on here, but there have been numerous sites that i know of that tried hosting with you, and then moved away. A sample of these sites are 8thos.com, xfshowcase.com, technologyhub.org etc. btw the memcache was configured by you.
xfhost.webp

This is not a matter of me not setting up permissions properly, if you look in the add-on thread, it has been even responded by Chris the security concern with using it with Fast-CGI. The addon is intended more for a handler like suPHP. So it is not that it is not set up correctly, it is we will not make the changes required for it in exchange to lower the security level of our servers.

Thats strange, my current host did not have such a hard time fixing it up.

Not sure what your talking about here..
You asked me to check webalizer stats instead of cpanel resource usage when i said the cpanel resource usage functionality is broken. They are two completely different things.

When did you request it? Looking up your account, I show a cancel request, cancel reason being "Service was very good but too much latency from Australia/NZ". I can not locate any ticket you requesting a refund. Please let me know the ticket number so if can get that squared away for you.
im sorry i didnt realise i need to request money back guarantee since i did not last the month, and i had previously asked you about the trial and you said in a pm to me on here that i would get my money back if i moved back within a month. Not to mention you send me an invoice for the next month a few days later after i had sent you an email cancelling the service.

I like you Mike, i dont want to have some sort of animosity towards you, or rubbish your livelihood. But im just saying that there are far far better web hosts for xenforo around. You are helpful and quick to respond, but i feel that there are far more experienced and knowledgeable ppl around when it comes to hosting who can get things fixed asap and know what they are doing. I did not appreciate my site going on and off like a yoyo just because you were 'performing a patch' every couple of days....i dont experience that anywhere else.

Top Bottom