Implemented  Recent actions

---MAD---

Howdy,

Instead of our profile being pretty much empty unless we are popular enough to know enough users to post on our walls, how about displaying recent actions?

Ie "---MAD--- liked post x.", "---MAD--- posted y in thread z.", "---MAD--- recieved trophy D", "---MAD--- commented on user a's profile".

Would give profiles a bit of activity and more reason for other users to visit profiles and make use of them.

Thoughts?

Upvote 9
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
So basically print the every-one's-news-feed on the profile but limiting it to your userid? Could be done with a mod because the everyone-news-feed is consumable.

Howdy,

Instead of our profile being pretty much empty unless we are popular enough to know enough users to post on our walls, how about displaying recent actions?

Ie "---MAD--- liked post x.", "---MAD--- posted y in thread z.", "---MAD--- recieved trophy D", "---MAD--- commented on user a's profile".

Would give profiles a bit of activity and more reason for other users to visit profiles and make use of them.

Thoughts?

I think this is simply an excellent idea. Exactly because of the reasons you have stated. Has my vote immediately. *presses [Like]*

A summery of the last 5 actions would be nice, but I don't want active members on a busy board to have cluttered up social profiles.

A summery of the last 5 actions would be nice, but I don't want active members on a busy board to have cluttered up social profiles.

That's why I assumed this would be in a [Tab]. Not directly on the profile when you enter it: this belongs to the profile posts exclusively.

I like the idea of displaying our recent actions in our profile. (of course with a corresponding Privacy option to switch this off).

The recent activity should be incorporated right into the Profile Posts tab; reason being that if you create a new tab for recent activity, the profile would still look deserted unless you switch to that tab. And if you make the Recent Activity tab selected by default, wouldn't that annoy users who do use the profile posts tab heavily & already have tons of content there?

A sample implementation which I'd love to have:

Recent_Activity_in_Profiles.webp

I like shadab's mockup.

Not an entire new sidebar showing an entire list of stuff like on the other software. Just a nice simple paragraph of recent activities. Voted.

recent activity block that shows once a day, with recent 5 or 6 items, is something I support. It gives a quick impression of how active a user is, and what they're doing on the site.

I like that, though I wonder if we couldn't find a better implementation somehow, rather than copying Facebook quite so flagrantly?
I'll leave the implementation up to you, just giving the idea however we need to consider if this really a case of reinventing the wheel. I mean if it works we should use it but if there is a better way to implement this, you'll find it :D

PS. You just have a gut feeling when you know a suggestion is going to be implemented even before a dev posts it :D

Just call it "Some recent activity" and have it be 2 columns.

Kier has:

liked this message: $url, and replied last: $thread.title
has created a discussion: $url,
and moderated around the board.

I like that, though I wonder if we couldn't find a better implementation somehow, rather than copying Facebook quite so flagrantly?
I agree we could do with a less facebook-y implementation. An alternate presentation could be to the right of the profile header. You could easily make space for a 300px wide column to show the recent activity...

Alternate_Presentation.webp

Just thinking out loud. :)

I agree we could do with a less facebook-y implementation. An alternate presentation could be to the right of the profile header. You could easily make space for a 300px wide column to show the recent activity...

View attachment 1166

Lets keep thinking :D

I agree, Facebook gets it right but lets see if Kier can come up with anything better :)

Facebook gets it right though, so I see no reason not to.
If it's put under the avatar on the left can called Recent Activity, or put in a similar fashion to Shedab's second mockup, there's no reason it can't be used.

There can be more than one right way to do something. ;)

I like the idea of displaying our recent actions in our profile. (of course with a corresponding Privacy option to switch this off).

The recent activity should be incorporated right into the Profile Posts tab; reason being that if you create a new tab for recent activity, the profile would still look deserted unless you switch to that tab. And if you make the Recent Activity tab selected by default, wouldn't that annoy users who do use the profile posts tab heavily & already have tons of content there?

A sample implementation which I'd love to have:

View attachment 1164
Not only do I really like this idea, but I really like the "banned" reference in the recent activity :D

View attachment 1166

That looks like misuse of whitespace and adding clutter.

I rather want to think out of the box, and have the logical position for this, be the link on the left "last activity" to have a float:right link for more (or whatever) when clicked slides the content out to the left, sliding in content from the right with 'some recent activity' filling up the spot.

Top Bottom