Implemented  Recent actions

---MAD---

Howdy,

Instead of our profile being pretty much empty unless we are popular enough to know enough users to post on our walls, how about displaying recent actions?

Ie "---MAD--- liked post x.", "---MAD--- posted y in thread z.", "---MAD--- recieved trophy D", "---MAD--- commented on user a's profile".

Would give profiles a bit of activity and more reason for other users to visit profiles and make use of them.

Thoughts?

Upvote 9
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
There are 3 tabs on a member's page; Profile Posts, Information, Postings.

Why not just add a 4th one; Recent Activity?

If 'Recent Activity' is going to be implemented at all, I think the 'Profile Posts' tab should be renamed to just 'Profile' and all the recent activity be integrated into there.

While I think that would be okay, that's an extra click which means less people are likely to see it, which means less people are going to click those links and see the posts/activity that user is doing, which means they are less likely to join in on the fun, so to speak.

I'd much rather it be merged with the Profile Posts tab, and the tab renamed to something to fit it. Otherwise putting a bock on the left side with the recent activity would be just as fine.

My problem is : i don't have a REAL problem with it, except that I think with a dedicated tab you are indirectly learning users that you have a page (tab) filled with activity

Kier liked this
Kier liked that
Kier posted here
Kier posted there
Kier liked this too
Kier liked that too
Kier posted here too

You learn it's just mostly repeat-data and after a while you go 'yeah, i am sure he likes stuff' .. and you stop going there.

I rather see a select blob of activity that just invites you to come back to see if there's more since last visit. For that user.

My problem is : i don't have a REAL problem with it, except that I think with a dedicated tab you are indirectly learning users that you have a page (tab) filled with activity

Kier liked this
Kier liked that
Kier posted here
Kier posted there
Kier liked this too
Kier liked that too
Kier posted here too

You learn it's just mostly repeat-data and after a while you go 'yeah, i am sure he likes stuff' .. and you stop going there.

I rather see a select blob of activity that just invites you to come back to see if there's more since last visit. For that user.

Well what Facebook does is show the latest of each type of activity. So If you liked 3 posts in a row, it would only show the latest item you liked, not all three (it does when you like different people's statuses though). So if I were to post in 3 different threads in a row, it would only show that the last thread I posted in.

More detailed information would simply be found in the news feed.

I'd say keep the recent activity out of the profile messages and in their own separate display. Exact implementation TBD.

I like the idea of displaying our recent actions in our profile. (of course with a corresponding Privacy option to switch this off).

The recent activity should be incorporated right into the Profile Posts tab; reason being that if you create a new tab for recent activity, the profile would still look deserted unless you switch to that tab. And if you make the Recent Activity tab selected by default, wouldn't that annoy users who do use the profile posts tab heavily & already have tons of content there?

A sample implementation which I'd love to have:

I love your mockup ( (c) Facebook was my first thought ;)) . Thanks! I don't mind if the profile looks deserted because of Profile Posts being the default [Tab]. I know I can click on the [Activity] tab to get access to it (I wouldn't want it to be the default tab). But you certainly have a point that it looks more interesting to see the member activity directly instead of an empty profile post page. Either way, as long as it is implemented (in one way or the other) I am really happy.

I agree, it should be seen directly because the default tab is essentially a wall with all your work on it instead of just a profile posts tab.

SHould'nt the Profile Posts tab be changed to Wall so you can add other things on it like this Recent Actions etc. Even custom mods could extend this interface.

Ah ok but shouldn't we change it to something less specific so we can add other things than Profile Posts like recent actions in the suggested mockup?

That depends whether Mike and Kier intend to implement the suggestion and if so, how they implement it.

Top Bottom