Implemented  Recent actions

---MAD---

Howdy,

Instead of our profile being pretty much empty unless we are popular enough to know enough users to post on our walls, how about displaying recent actions?

Ie "---MAD--- liked post x.", "---MAD--- posted y in thread z.", "---MAD--- recieved trophy D", "---MAD--- commented on user a's profile".

Would give profiles a bit of activity and more reason for other users to visit profiles and make use of them.

Thoughts?

Upvote 9
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
From a technical standpoint, I wouldn't expect to see something like that, at least in the short term. That would involve creating effectively another view of the news feed, but also adding filter rules. A new tab to represent this is significantly more straight forward--probably a 15 minute job to add as the info is all there, ready to go. :) For me, that seems to give most of the benefit.
Et voila! Generally speaking, it duplicates a lot of stuff from the postings tab, but this isn't guaranteed.

I don't like it much if everything I do gets listed for everybody to see. Sure, they can often find it anyway if they try but... it's just a little too much stalker info. Are we able to to turn this off on ourselves user based, so this info won't show up about me?

I don't like it much if everything I do gets listed for everybody to see. Sure, they can often find it anyway if they try but... it's just a little too much stalker info. Are we able to to turn this off on ourselves user based, so this info won't show up about me?
There's always been a privacy setting for this in your account (the news feed option). This view doesn't provide anything different from what someone who's following you would see.

+1 we need a privacy option for this.

There's always been a privacy setting for this in your account (the news feed option). This view doesn't provide anything different from what someone who's following you would see.
I think getting an update when I post something is quite different from listing every single action I've taken for everyone to see. And there's no way of turning it off completely, the most private option is to set it to 'people you follow only'.

I think getting an update when I post something is quite different from listing every single action I've taken for everyone to see. And there's no way of turning it off completely, the most private option is to set it to 'people you follow only'.
Untick the checkbox.

Et voila! Generally speaking, it duplicates a lot of stuff from the postings tab, but this isn't guaranteed.

Thanks! Really useful.

2 little questions (nothing important whatsoever :)):
  • Is there a reason why the contents of [Profile Posts], [Information], [Postings] are left-aligned and the contents of [Recent Activity] centered?
  • The order is now: [Profile Posts], [Recent Activity] , [Information], [Postings]. Wouldn't it be more logical to have this: [Profile Posts], [Recent Activity], [Postings], [Information], because the first three all have to do with your 'activity/interaction' ([Information]-tab seems a bit 'lost' now in between them). Or one could this: , [Information], [Profile Posts], [Recent Activity], [Postings] and then let the landing page default to [Profile Posts].

what if you make it so that "recent activity Tab" is only visible to yourself if you in fact "follow" that specific user ?
So you will only see this Tab when you follow the user.

what if you make it so that "recent activity Tab" is only visible to yourself if you in fact "follow" that specific user ?
So you will only see this Tab when you follow the user.

Why? the info is already public ..

I expected this to be better but no worries, im sure it will be polished off by the release time after suggestions has been, well, suggested.

It needs to add more content types in there as all it does now is give info already given by the Postings tab.

I was rather expecting to show activities as per examples listed in the screenshot at this thread.
Not more or less duplicating the posts, but rather see what the user Likes, that the user opened a new thread, that the admin banned somebody, or even show that the user is now following a certain person, etc.

I think that would be cool: "Peggy is now following user ABC"

The information that Peggy changed her avatar is already build in, this is perfect.

I was rather expecting to show activities as per examples listed in the screenshot at this thread.
Not more or less duplicating the posts, but rather see what the user Likes, that the user opened a new thread, that the admin banned somebody, or even show that the user is now following a certain person, etc.

The information that Peggy changed her avatar is already build in, this is perfect.

^This. It's not really of any added value to (almost) repeat what we already have in [Postings], is it? :). In fact, we need to have everything else BUT the facts that a person replied to a thread. We already have this in [Postings]. It is redundant information. If it can not be combined together (as the great mockup suggested), then just include every activity in [Recent Activity], without listing the postings. Just my 2c.

I expected all what you said except the X banned Y. I think we should leave that in privacy :).

Top Bottom