reCAPTCHA Cracked.

I haven't gotten hit at all. That's because I used the questions option. That seems to work the best when the questions is a bit tough.

I've seen bots crack "1+1 is" But using a tough question seems to be working for me.

Agreed. Ideally, it should be something that your target audience can answer easily, but that someone not interested in your forums would not.
"What root level command configures devices and optionally installs device software into the system utilizing the Configuration Rules object class?"
Anyone using my site would answer that without thinking about it. You can even Google it and get the answer easily. But a bot? Stopped cold.

Custom questions and other custom profile fields make it that much more difficult for robot (and even human spammers) to get through.

Fred, I tried to join Amiga.org and their question required knowledge of their history or OS and I have neither, so I gave up trying to answer their question and did not join the forum, so a vertical question that requires specific expertise or technical know how should be reserved for forums that want to qualify members so they fit in, this will keep out newbies and is not advised for most forums.

On vB, there was a script where it would search a directory of images, and each image had a name. Then it would list 5 images and it would ask you "which one of these images is <imagename>?". I think that would be the best method.

On vB, there was a script where it would search a directory of images, and each image had a name. Then it would list 5 images and it would ask you "which one of these images is <imagename>?". I think that would be the best method.

I used that mod quite a bit and found it very useful to fight off spam while using the Q&A mod also.

That was an amazing mod until it broke.

you can ask for other easier question such as
what is the name of our site?
What is the third word in this sentence? A. the

but, xenfore doesn't provide this option. I wish they did

We ask some random questions like this
(-26) minus ___ equals -4
And you have to enter into the blank the correct number.

Easy?

We ask some random questions like this
(-26) minus ___ equals -4
And you have to enter into the blank the correct number.

Easy?
Erm, if you run a forum for maths heads yes! Negative numbers confuse a lot of people. But I agree, a customisable question (preferably a choice of customisable questions) would be ideal.

After 8 years, we've had to start moderating new accounts now, which is hardly ideal :(

When using maths questions, add more numbers to the question to deepen the possible answers as some bots can work out simple questions:

Q. If you have four apples and eat one, how many are left?

This has two numbers, 4 and 1.

4+1
4-1
4*1
4/1

It's easy to work out the possible answer from so few numbers. This one is much harder to guess at:

Q. Fifteen people are invited to a party. Four of them leave early. Two of the guests have red wine, whilst five of them have White. The remaining four have seven Tequila slammers and 8 vodka shots between them. How many people were invited to the party?

Missing words questions are good too, especially if you make it relate to your board theme - as missing words require comprehension, which of course, the "bots" don't do very well. :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

If you decide to start again, I’d definitely pay attention not only to the quality of your outlinks (if you link to spammy/low-quality sites, that can look spammy to us) as well as putting more work into original content.

You must have missed his comment quoted above Kier.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/calling-for-link-spam-reports/#comment-485959

and

Starting this month, we will notify more webmasters of more potential issues we’ve detected on their websites, including:
- Spammy or abused user-generated content
- Abused forum pages or egregious amounts of comment spam
- Suspected hacking
These notifications are meant to alert webmasters of potential issues and provide next steps on how to get their sites fixed and back into Google’s search results.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/calling-for-link-spam-reports/#comment-486304

Top Bottom