reCAPTCHA Cracked.

hows recapthca doing today? is it efficient?
needed to turn new registrations off, looking for a solution till switch to xenforo

If it is that bad you may as well shut the forums down.
yep, considering
biggrin.png

It's simple to beat the bots, for IPB I first made Ultimate Bot Blocker modification then updated it to AntiSpam System which allowed the admin/owner to create his own database of random questions and answers. Upon registration, the script would run and choose a random question to display. It was up to the board owner/admin to create "humanistic" questions so that only humans could answer. I guess it worked because IPS added it to their core software "Random Question & Answer On Registration".

i found a plugin, name "NoSpam! for vBulletin 3.7", ill try it tomorrow
to be honest, it is lame to ask such stupid questions to people when they are registering but what can we do...

It's funny how I came to make the modification that led to the random question modification. I make a noob mistake and left the setting "User Validation" to "No E-mail". This let hundreds of spammers in and instead of checking my settings, I just made a mod to handle it. lolz

Back on topic, if reCAPTCHA has really been broken then a modification has to be made that requires human thought, something beyond the machine world (Matrix?).

Why is is lame ?

Once I added the human question...

What is the color of Blood ?

There were no more bots joining, I guess if you don't change the question a script could be programmed to attack you, but none of the Xrumer morons have taken the time to write it yet.

"whats the color of sky?"
"3+12=?"
"two apple and five apple, total how many apple=?"
"2 orange and 1 kg orange equal x litre orange juice?"

not lame?

sorry, these are lame questions for me, i mean it is lame for me to ask people when they are registering.

i am not defending not to do anything. recaptcha service can do somethings instead.
for example, if an ip address is suspected for spam attempts over the last 7 days, then they could serve harder image verifications or ask something more complex, like choosing the pictures that contain cats.

we are loosing the battle against spam, because captcha is dying..

reCaptch isn't everything:

• Email confirmation required
• Answer stupidly simple question (but one that needs human comprehension)
• Subscribe to forum stop-spam service
• Exclude all registrations from "mail.ru" and a host of .cn domains
• Use picture question (again, requires comprehension)

Then after they've registered, put them in a "newbie" user group with:

• limited posting rights
• no signature capability
• no "extras"
• no access to PMs

... and only promote them to full membership once they've reached 20 or more posts.

This also helps to deal with human spammers as they have to put much more effort in and rarely want to hang about making 20 or more posts to get their links in - and in turn it puts them on the radar so you can deal with them quickly, and before they do any damage.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Agreed, why is it reCAPTCHA's responsibility to stop spam for you? Unless you are paying them, they don't HAVE to do anything for you. In the end it is the board/site owner's responsibility to keep spam out.

Hey Shaun, i am doing almost everything what you say, but no success for few days, more than 100 spam registrations. too annoying to see their bizarre names in online users pages.

Calypso, i didnt say it is recaptchas responsibility, did i mate? I said someone like them can offer, actually i am saying "should offer" now. you will see what i mean in very near future because it is going worse and worse everyday. And, yea i am ready to pay for that kind of service.

peace..

added random questions, re-enabled the registrations,
reduced the spam dramatically but still a lot registering, think they are human

Top Bottom