Lack of interest Realtime / Autoupdate Alerts

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
get dual alerts with new pm and even tho you read pm you still have to look at the alert for it to go away even tho you know what it is already

Right now alerts only update when you navigate to a new page. Doing Facebook-style alerting requires long polling, which is something that most peoples' servers are not really geared to support.

There are all sorts of things we could do, but we are only two developers right now and our todo list is already gigantic. For the moment we have to concentrate on developing features that bring the most benefit to the most people.

That said though .. I browse around enough and feel involved on this ( a xf forum ) site, that I didn't first realize it wasn't ajax updated. Goin to new content, or a friends profile, or updating a thread, etc .. it shows the alert in the top - and Then you have time to address it .. So it's all good with me. But yeah, an option to turn it on, so when you are idle on the ajax (plz!) news feed page, any alert incoming will show up after say 5 minutes .. even that would make being part of an active community worth it. I can totally see myself in the backend working on the site, with the news feed active on second monitor, getting an alert that the PM i was waiting for has arrived .. oh man! that would be so nice.

It would be great if the number of alerts are refreshed every x seconds, even if the user don't refresh the page, it's just a line of code.
Another interesting thing would be to play a sound for every alert like the facebook chat.

I've posted a lot of suggestions lol.

This time, would it be cool if once every X minutes, if we don't have the forum tab open (I.E we are on a different page), we can get an alert if we received a private message

I've posted a lot of suggestions lol.

This time, would it be cool if once every X minutes, if we don't have the forum tab open (I.E we are on a different page), we can get an alert if we received a private message
We do get an alert if someone sends us a privare conversation.

We do get an alert if someone sends us a privare conversation.
Sorry, I didn't make my self clear.

I meant, if we are in different browser tab/application, we can get an alert, or the title changes (like on facebook when someone chats to you, the title (in the browser) changes telling you, that you have a new message).

Sorry, I didn't make my self clear.

I meant, if we are in different browser tab/application, we can get an alert, or the title changes (like on facebook when someone chats to you, the title (in the browser) changes telling you, that you have a new message).
I was thinking about this today. It'd be nice to have this for both alerts and PCs. It could be combined into a single number, or differentiated with a slash ("3/1" = 3 alerts, 1 PC) or something.

Uhm, I have various opinions about this, and am not so sure with which one I am on board yet.

I couldn't figure out how to describe it any better.

Most of you probably have either a Facebook, a Twitter, or both. When there's a new tweet/posting/message/whatever, these sites dynamically change to show the number of new messages/alerts you have in the titlebar. While this isn't a game-changing feature, it would be nice to implement, in my opinion.

I am not sure what your saying but do you mean something like this, If your sitting on the index and say someone likes one of your posts the alert would shows up with out having to reload the page?

Look at the tab to the top-left:
title.png

Top Bottom