XF 1.0 Real-World Page Loading Speed

This isn't so much a 'have you seen this feature' post as one that goes some way to explaining why interacting with XenForo is such an immediate, pleasurable experience.

The following is screen-grabbed from Google Webmaster Tools.

google-webmaster-tools-page-load-speed-png.420

Attachments

• Google Webmaster Tools Page Load Speed.webp
    Google Webmaster Tools Page Load Speed.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 5,906
I edited your code and even if the stats if the image was created in the past 3min it will not be re-generated... I may increase this number but I am not sure ATM...
Mine caches for 30 minutes I think, no reason not to have it hourly to be honest

Mine caches for 30 minutes I think, no reason not to have it hourly to be honest
In that case, it might be better to have the users use an actual static image (not run through a PHP script at all), and then use a 30-min cron job to update all of the images. :) The advantages of the cron method increase as you increase the interval. But that's discussion for another topic. ;)

In that case, it might be better to have the users use an actual static image (not run through a PHP script at all), and then use a 30-min cron job to update all of the images. :) The advantages of the cron method increase as you increase the interval. But that's discussion for another topic. ;)
that involves me knowing what images need to be generated

that involves me knowing what images need to be generated
The way I envisioned it was at first the user goes to a "creation" page, where they pick settings, etc. They click "Generate", and this makes a file like /images/136.png where 136 is the user id. The user then uses an image tag to include www.example.com/images/136.png in their signature. The cron job would simply get a list of all the files in the /images directory, get the user ids (from the filenames), and then go about it's business updating each image. :)

The way I envisioned it was at first the user goes to a "creation" page, where they pick settings, etc. They click "Generate", and this makes a file like /images/136.png where 136 is the user id. The user then uses an image tag to include www.example.com/images/136.png in their signature. The cron job would simply get a list of all the files in the /images directory, get the user ids (from the filenames), and then go about it's business updating each image. :)

But then even if the user stops using the file you are still going to generate it every 30min...

Way I have it ATM, is when someone loads the image it checks how old it is, if older than xmin then it regenerates it, otherwise it uses the cached one... personally I think 30min is too long though... might go with 10

Yeah, but I would need to store the selected settings somewhere. It's all a bit complicated :P

I prefer just adding a few ms to some unlucky sods page load time, and keeping my cache directory free from unused sigs

Currently, I struggle to get below 2.2 - 2.6 seconds.

Below 2 seconds is awesome.

1 second and I might just have to break into your server room and check you're not cheating. You wouldn't use a supercomputer, would you?

Top Bottom