1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.0 Real-World Page Loading Speed

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

Mine caches for 30 minutes I think, no reason not to have it hourly to be honest

2. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Going to slowly increase it until it seems a reasonable number

3. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Don't end up at 12 hours!

4. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

In that case, it might be better to have the users use an actual static image (not run through a PHP script at all), and then use a 30-min cron job to update all of the images. :) The advantages of the cron method increase as you increase the interval. But that's discussion for another topic. ;)

5. Loyddd

Loyddd New Member

:cool: everything is good now. Congratulation !

6. Disjunto

that involves me knowing what images need to be generated

7. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

The way I envisioned it was at first the user goes to a "creation" page, where they pick settings, etc. They click "Generate", and this makes a file like /images/136.png where 136 is the user id. The user then uses an image tag to include www.example.com/images/136.png in their signature. The cron job would simply get a list of all the files in the /images directory, get the user ids (from the filenames), and then go about it's business updating each image. :)

8. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

But then even if the user stops using the file you are still going to generate it every 30min...

Way I have it ATM, is when someone loads the image it checks how old it is, if older than xmin then it regenerates it, otherwise it uses the cached one... personally I think 30min is too long though... might go with 10

9. Disjunto

Yeah, but I would need to store the selected settings somewhere. It's all a bit complicated :p

I prefer just adding a few ms to some unlucky sods page load time, and keeping my cache directory free from unused sigs

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are definitely advantages and disadvantages. :)

11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Is this server just very powerful or am I missing something here? The forum is very fast.

12. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

The software is fast. :D It's being run on a modest dedicated server with another medium-large forum. :)

13. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The only other site to achieve this speed is a site hosted in France.

14. majdi

majdi Well-Known Member

does xF support gzip?

15. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Yes, anything served through PHP is gzipped. :) Static files like images and JavaScript can be gzipped through your webserver (Apache, nginx, etc.)

16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Kier stated that the bs files and CSS, I think HTML
    Output is gzipped

17. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

Nice! Amazing fast load time :eek:

18. RobS

RobS Member

Currently, I struggle to get below 2.2 - 2.6 seconds.

Below 2 seconds is awesome.

1 second and I might just have to break into your server room and check you're not cheating. You wouldn't use a supercomputer, would you?

19. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

No, we use a very modest server, which is already running several other sites including a very busy vBulletin 3.8 installation.

20. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, it's faster than my server. You're running Apache on Red Hat aren't you?