Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

I know exactly how you feel; I bought into that as well.

This is a bit of a different situation though. Not only have we actually SEEN what's available for purchase, there's also this line in the pricing announcement:

So, we won't even at the risk of receiving a sub-par product as the final version (XF is most excellent right now IMO, but I know the dynamic XF duo will not release what they consider Gold until they are satisfied, which in the past has been a very high standard).

As far as the re-activation fee, I would anticipate it would be many months after upgrade expiration that any fee such as that would be applied.
9 months after the date of expiration.

Yep, pretty much as expected - twice the normal yearly fee. Possibly not popular, but good from a business point of view.

Its designed to encourage you to keep paying yearly. Much better for thier cashflow if customers do that. :)

Personally I see the renewal fee pretty much as the Vendor Lock I was afraid off. $60 would sound fair to me. On the other side, I will also decide the amount of licenses I purchase to compensate with my direct plans instead of longer term - It is a matter of choice :)

I agree, lets say you:
buy your license: $140
- That gives you 12 months of updates

After the 12 months is up, you find there is no worthy updates so you decide not to purchase updates, however 8 months later, you finally find some worthy updates. That means you have to spend $40 and you will only get 4 months of updates....

That makes me cringe.

I agree, lets say you:

After the 12 months is up, you find there is no worthy updates so you decide not to purchase updates, however 8 months later, you finally find some worthy updates. That means you have to spend $40 and you will only get 4 months of updates....

That makes me cringe.
Right now,the terms about reactivation isn't clear.It hasn't been announced officially.I'm still waiting while I'v bought one license to support the development of the product.
According to my understanding,the words in red isn't accurate.

I agree, lets say you:

That makes me cringe.

What are you talking about? After 12 months then you have to pay $40 for 1 yr's worth of renewals. Not 4 months....

The part that bugs me is this forcefulness of having to renew. If I don't renew withing 2 yrs, I have to pay $80 to renew. I could easily just buy another license.

Right now,the terms about reactivation isn't clear.It hasn't been announced officially.I'm still waiting while I'v bought one license to support the development of the product.
According to my understanding,the words in red isn't accurate.

And that is their downfall. I don't want to purchase a 2nd license and then find out later.

What are you talking about? After 12 months then you have to pay $40 for 1 yr's worth of renewals. Not 4 months....

The part that bugs me is this forcefulness of having to renew. If I don't renew withing 2 yrs, I have to pay $80 to renew. I could easily just buy another license.
Words in red is not accurate.I guess you are talking about the reactivation fee and it's not out offically.

Words in red is not accurate.I guess you are talking about the reactivation fee and it's not out offically.

True, but Ashely sounded like he's up for it.

And anyways, lets say it isn't out yet. It's possible we buy a license now and then get tacked on with this fee.

I'm basically saying everyone is taking a risk now buying more than 1 license. Because, you could be tacked $80+ for multiple licenses with reactivation fees.

Bear in mind that we want customers to renew the licenses consistently which will support the ongoing development of XenForo. We want a reasonable and sensible process that supports this. The word 'reactivation' is being used to demonstrate that it is different from a renewal when in reality it is a type of renewal.

The reactivation fee is unlikely to be more than 2 renewal fees.

Example: Regular renewals
Year 1 $100/$140 purchase
Year 2 $40 renewal month 12
Year 3 $40 renewal month 24
Total $180/$220

Putting this in reverse, at the end of 3 years, it should cost the same (more or less) for any customer who benefits from an update in a 3/4 year period.
Example:
Year 1 $100/$140 purchase
Year 2 $0
Year 3 $80 reactivation fee (payable from month 13)
Total $180/$220

We will confirm the details before the sale and keep in mind that these are examples for the purposes of illustration.
I think it's not fair for the user 2.
He didn't get any support service from Xenforo in year 2,but paid the same money as user 1.
Please remember that the renewal fee $40 includes two parts services:Support service and Update service.
It would be reasonable if you apply different pricing police for support and update separately.Sometimes,I didn't need the support service but update service is essential.

I still don't get why we can't have the same setup as we did with vB?

This starting to sound like IB's tactics.
I can see this fee trying to push us to help the devs. But, it doesn't mean I won't renew at all. It might mean, I could renew 1 and a half year possibly. Or at somepoint renew. Though I think even in 1 year so many updates would be out. I can't see someone wouldn't renew. Though, I know for hobby sites, it's a tough blow to them with this reactivation fee.

For sites making money.. well it's probably chump change. I don't run a site for profit, so really this reactivation fee hurts me more than anything else.

That would be cute if its true - you would basically be paying $40 for 21 months - i.e. buy a licence, after the 12 months, wait another 9 months (a few days under) then pay $40 to renew for another 12 months, then wait another 9 when it expires before renewing ..... repeat until done.

Top Bottom