Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

not sure if this has been discussed here before.

here is a situation where the customer pays a penalty.

if someone pays the enhanced renewal fee of USD 80 after supposedly one day after the nine month period...

he paid a fee that would have fetched him 2 years of updates and support. but he would get it for just one year instead. so by not paying for just nine months, he loses support for 12.

Waiting for "something worth upgrading for" means taking advantage of the company's R&D. That costs money.

Don't make rubbish because "this function is good for you".("I, as a developer do know it!")
Make what the customers want and then they will pay their renewals religiously.

Who should pay?
No one.
That is the developers business how to fund their pleasure.(Let them play with their useless toys)

From a business point of view, I see why this system would work. What I don't like about is that even if you don't upgrade it seems you have to renew just to access the work that others, not xenforo ltd itself created.

Also, while some run forums as a business and as a way to earn additional income, I do it mostly as a hobby for now and I own various licenses to play around and test ideas with. Just because of my own time restraints, I may go months at a time between using them.

Those are my biggest concerns really.

I like how on VB you can enable email addresses that can access the vb.org mods. As some of your other admins might need to have access too. Plus you continue to keep getting access even when your updates run out. With this system, it is totally limited to only the 1 active account, unless you share that account with your other admins (which would be really bad/wrong). And then you lose access to all updates from the free 3rd party mods.

From a business point of view this might entice more people to keep upgrading. But overall it will give many people a bad taste in their mouth and word of mouth will go right down.

This topic has been well discussed, so, I'll therefore just try to summarize my point of view...

Personally speaking, I believe it's a more palitable approach (for me at least), that the incentive for me to renew be that, I want to gain access to better and updated software versions with additional features etc, and not that I'm renewing mainly to avoid paying a "penalty" down the road for not doing so.

To the point, I believe the software itself should be the incentive to renew.

As for how the mods and modders and handled, I pretty well see things the same as how Paul M does.

-Chris

I like how on VB you can enable email addresses that can access the vb.org mods. As some of your other admins might need to have access too. Plus you continue to keep getting access even when your updates run out. With this system, it is totally limited to only the 1 active account, unless you share that account with your other admins (which would be really bad/wrong). And then you lose access to all updates from the free 3rd party mods.

You can add usernames in the client area to gain access to Customer only forums here. They get access to the forums only the way it looks to me.

My thoughts, having 21 months to decide if you want to keep your license active is more than enough time. If you don't renew before then and updates come out that you would like to have then in my eyes the reactivation fee is justified. Although I think something in the range of $60 would be easier to swallow for those that like to get their moneys worth, if that is what you want to call it. People keep bringing up IPB $25 for 6month support and no reactivation fee, well they also forget to mention you cannot download the last version that was available to you before expiration. Talk about being forced into renewing, although no extra fee is incurred you should still have access to that version available to you.

Losing access to download/post in the Mods section is hard to swallow because some of the Mod makers & designers do this just for a hobby and ask for no money. XenForo LTD does not really gain anything by not letting non-active licensed users have access to customer forums. The users of the mods and the whole community loses out in my eyes.

Overall I am happy with the license structure and you cannot expect a new company to follow 5-10 year old guidelines for licensing. It comes down to the software/licensing meeting your needs or not.

If an active license is required to use the Mods forum, then I predict that XenForo.com will not be where the lion's share of mods are posted. Instead they'll be posted on a dozen third-party sites and we'll have an even more disconnected community than vB.org.

This is already happening, not because of the license structure I don't think but just because Mod makers have their own sites and see chance to expand what they already have or plan to switch to. But I can see your point and it will probably turn into that if the current license is not looked at more closely. Hate to say this, and is pure speculation but I think there will be a paid addon section controlled by xF that will be unaccessible to non-active license holders and that is why we see the current license. Again speculating there...

It would be nice to see some form of control by XF in terms of "Ultra Premium Mods"... by this i mean 100% dedicated mods, as half the Mods of vb.org are simply half cut / restricted mods which are only being posted to make users need to upgrade to "Premium / Paid versions" i think if XF do indeed produce their own Quality Mods.. then we would be happy to pay extra "Re-Activation Fees" to access these mods / updates..

There are way to many cowboys out there already, most of the mods on vb.org that are restricted to force users to purchase premium versions very rarely get updates / more features... the devs make their money and run off.. have the mod websites end up being turned off eventually (usually the time one decides to look for updates)... So if XF does indeed provide Premium Mods / Quality Mods then license holders will / should be happy to pay for re-activation fee's knowing that the mods will be supported for life and not just a few weeks.

I have no problem with a reactivation fee, it's fine as far as I am concerned.

I do concur with others though, those whose licenses fall inactive should still have access to modifications. But...it isn't a deal breaker for me, simply because I will always keep my license active. I knew the terms when I bought it.
I at first said that I'm not affected too. But now that I think about it...even those who pay for current licensing will be affected. If the mods/styles are not opened up to ALL licensees (regardless if they have paid their fees or not), then it will create a disunited modding/styling community. You and I and every other current licensee will have to go to 3rd party sites, register, remember where we got said mods, post in different forums/communities for support, etc...

The issue of where mods/styles are found primarily, and who has access to them (all licensees or only those who are currently paid up) affects the entire XF community in a substantial way.

My thoughts, having 21 months to decide if you want to keep your license active is more than enough time.

Its not 21 months though! I dont renew my licence and think "I must do that again in 21 months".

Month 12 I download the latest update and get my site looking and running how I want with modifications/template edits etc. From that moment I only have 9 months.

From a business point of view this might entice more people to keep upgrading. But overall it will give many people a bad taste in their mouth and word of mouth will go right down.
You can add several forum users, to a license. In this way, several people you trust can access the restricted areas.
http://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

From the beginning, we are keen that customers understand what they are buying, how it works and what the costs are. We mentioned that we want customers to extend their licenses, regularly, and want customers to understand the value of extending their license and have them access areas where an active license is necessary. We proposed the license extension and reactivation fees with this in mind.

There has been much discussion, here and in this thread and serious amounts coffee has been consumed. We have considered the points and are disappointed that there is a perception that customers are being unfairly forced into extending licenses and that they are being penalised.

We have made some changes to how license extensions will work and to the areas of access, in order that customers understand the intention to provide benefit. The reactivation is no longer applicable (at all). Those customers with a license, will be able to access licensed customer areas, irrespective of the license status (obviously this does not apply where license have been chargedback or the likes).

Thank you for your support.

Excellent news Ashley.

That being the case, I can't see any further reason for complaint with regards to XenForo's pricing structure.

Additionally, anyone who owns a license will have full access to all the forums, including resources, mods and add-ons, no matter whether they have an "active" license or not.

This will please all license holders and make XenForo.com the place to go for mods which will in turn help to grow the community even more.

Excellent news Ashley.

That being the case, I can't see any further reason for complaint with regards to XenForo's pricing structure.

Additionally, anyone who owns a license will have full access to all the forums, including resources, mods and add-ons, no matter whether they have an "active" license or not.

This will please all license holders and make XenForo.com the place to go for mods which will in turn help to grow the community even more.
LOVE the news altho I've never been in a position to let a license lapse unless I meant it to but I could understand the discussion.
So does this now mean this thread can be closed?

Thats great news... :D Although im sure when i get a license ill keep it active.. But things change and times are uncertain.. I personally didnt mind the Penalty fee, But i didnt like the idea of loosing access to forums because i couldnt afford to re ante right away..

Top Bottom