Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

Here's the flip side though to the recent argument... do I really want my Modification area that I paid my renewal for to have access to be filled with mods that are outdated simply because the author chooses not to renew?

More than likely we're making a huge fuss out of something that won't even happen as I have a feeling that all the major mods that I'll be using the author would upgrade immediately. Just food for thought

Are you talking about you or your coder? As for you, of course you would want support and access to mods - the question is whether or not it's worth the price for renewal. That's up to you. As for your coder, he needs customer access to support his mods. The question is, who pays for it?

But if the mods are free, the coder dosent really need customer support. A lot of coders release mods because they have created them for their sites.
As for me, If my sites running with no issues, I wouldnt need support or additional mods.

But if the mods are free, the coder dosent really need customer support. A lot of coders release mods because they have created them for their sites.
Regardless, coders need customer access to support their mods. There's no question about that. The question is, who pays for their access - the coders themselves, the members who use their mods, or XenForo Ltd?
As for me, If my sites running with no issues, I wouldnt need support or additional mods.
That's your choice.

We seem to be going around in circles here. How do you want coders to support their work? Not one of the 3 possibilities I mentioned?

You're missing my point - everyone with a XenForo license (coder or not) *wants* to have an active license - to renew their license when it's about to expire.

While I don't have a problem with the fee after 9 months, I don't think your thinking here is true. Some people won't renew just because they want to stay active.. A great deal of people that buy a license won't be part of these forums unless something happens (ie IB buying vB) or if they need support. There are a great deal of people that won't need support and just want to run xF.

This developing team will need to make each release something 'worth having' to create a need or want to renew.. Under the pricing model, this is where we the customer wins.. If they only offered so-so releases it's not worth our money to renew and we hold out.. If they release outstanding releases each time then we will want to renew.

Thinking everyone will want to renew each time whether or not there is something worth renewing for isn't a good way to think in my opinion.

Jamie

Regardless, coders need customer access to support their mods. There's no question about that. The question is, who pays for their access - the coders themselves, the members who use their mods, or XenForo Ltd?
No one needs to pay - they just need to allow anyone with a licence access to those forums, whether its an "active" licence or not. There is no good reason not to.

That's your choice.

We seem to be going around in circles here. How do you want coders to support their work? Not one of the 3 possibilities I mentioned?

Your right, But I still dont understand what your getting at.
Make the modification section open to everyone, whether they have an active licence or not. The modifications should have nothing to do with Xenforo Ltd.

No one needs to pay - they just need to allow anyone with a licence access to those forums, whether its an "active" licence or not. There is no good reason not to.

That's a different issue entirely. I was talking about the current pricing strategy as it applies to modders.

Clearly, XenForo Ltd. means to encourage that all license holders maintain active licenses. I can understand that point of view, as license holders who go inactive for a time, then renew are getting the benefit of XenForo's R&D during the period their licenses were inactive. Or did you want them to stop improving XenForo while your license was inactive?

That's a different issue entirely. I was talking about the current pricing strategy as it applies to modders.

Clearly, XenForo Ltd. means to encourage force that all license holders maintain active licenses. I can understand that point of view, as license holders who go inactive for a time, then renew are getting the benefit of XenForo's R&D during the period their licenses were inactive. Or did you want them to stop improving XenForo while your license was inactive?

I think the above is more apt. Some people will always want to upgrade, some will want to wait until theres something worth upgrading for.

I feel that we could probably benefit for discussing who's allowed in the mod section in a different thread. This has gone off topic from the Reactivation Fee, I know it's part of it but just my 2 cents!

But its worked for many other forum platforms and they havent gone out of business. Some people will always want to upgrade, some will want to wait until theres something worth upgrading for.

I'm sorry Dave but I don't see how keeping a minimal fee to keep up with maintenance after a period of time would make XF go out of business, it may make a few users upset as displayed in this thread but I feel everyone will renew right at their 12 months or in the generous 9 month grace period. As for multi-licensing I feel there's a strong "exploit" have you and discounts should be looked into for that

Just because something worked well for another platform, doesn't mean this setup won't work for this platform.

I think the above is more apt. Some people will always want to upgrade, some will want to wait until theres something worth upgrading for.

Which other forum software company's pricing strategy do you want XenForo to use? It has to be the whole strategy though, not just one part of theirs added to the rest of XenForo's.

Waiting for "something worth upgrading for" means taking advantage of the company's R&D. That costs money. Who should pay?

I'm sorry Dave but I don't see how keeping a minimal fee to keep up with maintenance after a period of time would make XF go out of business, it may make a few users upset as displayed in this thread but I feel everyone will renew right at their 12 months or in the generous 9 month grace period. As for multi-licensing I feel there's a strong "exploit" have you and discounts should be looked into for that

Just because something worked well for another platform, doesn't mean this setup won't work for this platform.

To an extent I agree with you. If I had just the one licence, If there was no worthwhile updates I would probably wait the 9 months and then upgrade just to avoid the $80 penalty. I do however believe it should be abolished, lowered or made 12 months. If $40 of that is to cover the upcoming 12 months, that means I would be paying $40 for the past 9 months, so ive lost 3 months.

The second licence ive got, Its spare, just like ive got a spare IPB licence. I like to keep them for when I need them. At present, the second licence is definatly going to be sold in 3 months.

Which other forum software company's pricing strategy do you want XenForo to use? It has to be the whole strategy though, not just one part of theirs added to the rest of XenForo's.

Waiting for "something worth upgrading for" means taking advantage of the company's R&D. That costs money. Who should pay?

1) IP Board.
$25 for 6 months support. No penatly for not renewing.

2) IB Vbulletin
$195 for the entire life of the licence.

3) Jelsoft Vbulletin
$30 for 1 years support. No penalty for not renewing.

Waiting for something worth upgrading for means exactly that. Take vbulletin for example as its an established forum. A lot of people never upgraded from 3.6 to 3.7 because they didnt want all the social groups etc.
Other software can R&D without enforcing penalties for not renewing.

Personally.... ya... renewing at 9 months 2 days would completely suck just for the fact that I've missed by 2 days, on the other hand I do have a total of 21 months to decide to renew which is technically more than enough time.

Lowering prices are always a good thing for the consumer, but is it the right move for the guys running the show. Even a few people complained saying 140 for the license is too much but that didn't budge of course. As for the 9 months moved to 12 months I myself don't care for the 3 months but I can see where it could benefit some... however again is it the right move for the head honcho's.

1) IP Board.

2) IB Vbulletin
$195 for the entire life of the licence.

3) Jelsoft Vbulletin
$30 for 1 years support. No penalty for not renewing.

Waiting for something worth upgrading for means exactly that. Take vbulletin for example as its an established forum. A lot of people never upgraded from 3.6 to 3.7 because they didnt want all the social groups etc.
Other software can R&D without enforcing penalties for not renewing.

Those are not the whole pricing strategies though - just one small part. Did you want XenForo to use vBulletins entire pricing strategy then?

There is no "penalty" for not renewing. There is an additional cost to bring your license back up to date if it's been inactive too long. That's not a penalty.

Personally.... ya... renewing at 9 months 2 days would completely suck just for the fact that I've missed by 2 days, on the other hand I do have a total of 21 months to decide to renew which is technically more than enough time.

Lowering prices are always a good thing for the consumer, but is it the right move for the guys running the show. Even a few people complained saying 140 for the license is too much but that didn't budge of course. As for the 9 months moved to 12 months I myself don't care for the 3 months but I can see where it could benefit some... however again is it the right move for the head honcho's.

I can see why some people said that as its new software, missing features (calendar etc), lack of mods etc etc. I was happy paying $100 in the sale. If they hadnt of had the sale I think I would have just purchased another IPB licence.

The reason the 9 months should be moved to 12 if they keep the penalty, is because normally 12 months + 12 months = $80, so why should 9 months + 12 months = $80 as well?

Those are not the whole pricing strategies though - just one small part. Did you want XenForo to use vBulletins entire pricing strategy then?

There is no "penalty" for not renewing. There is an additional cost to bring your license back up to date if it's been inactive too long. That's not a penalty.

You mention the entire pricing strategy, perhaps you could enlighten me on the negative parts I missed out of IPB/Vbulletins pricing scheme because im trying hard to think of any.

IP Board - $149.99
$25 for 6 months support

Vbulletin - $195
Unlimited upgrades for the life of that release.

Of course its a penalty. Its a penalty for not renewing after your licence has been expired for 9 months.

Clearly, XenForo Ltd. means to encourage that all license holders maintain active licenses. I can understand that point of view, as license holders who go inactive for a time, then renew are getting the benefit of XenForo's R&D during the period their licenses were inactive. Or did you want them to stop improving XenForo while your license was inactive?

Sorry Howard, but I can't agree with you on this.

IPB and vB (under the old, old pricing scheme) have shown that a "reactivation" fee isn't needed to keep providing an excellent product. A reactivation fee is also different from all of the other paid forum software packages that I can think of and isn't going to be popular with a lot of customers regardless of whether it ends up affecting them or not.

There's also the fact that they never properly announced that the reactivation fee even existed, unless you read the fine print on the site or 2 threads on these forums you'd have never even known about the existence of the "reactivation" fee.

Now, I don't plan on letting my license go inactive, but I'm still not a fan of the whole idea of the "reactivation" fee.

To me that is a penalty, almost all other software lets you renew whenever you want for a set price that never increases.

If they're really as confident that most people will want to renew their licenses because of the quality of the software as they seem to be then I'd expect there to not even be a "reactivation" fee.

1) IP Board.
I have an IPB forum license, expired. I went to download the latest version available for my own license and I had the surprise to notice that I cannot download it anymore. When I asked why is this, they told me I have to pay $25, in order to be able to download my already paid product.

In conclusion, there is always "something" that will make you pay more, if you don't renew.
And frankly, I don't understand why do you guys compare a new product renewal system with old systems like Jelsoft's that were priced 10 years ago, in a totally different economy context. Your car that you purchased 20years ago was priced half the price same model is today.

Top Bottom