Rant about WordPress

I personally wouldn't use wordpress as a forum.
As a site for blogging it's fine.
As long as you don't have frenemies following you around all day long trying to prevent you from using it.

Depends on your definition of fine I think. If I had a blog that got anything more than zero traffic, it wouldn’t be fine for me.

Have I mentioned how much I hate WordPress after having to deal with its guts? 😂
Problem is with you is that you're looking right in it at it's admin details.
It's terrible as a forum because it's too easy for people to get in. You're using cloudflare which i wouldn't bother using on wordpress.

Always ok as a blogging service.

As a forum it's crap.

What a pain in the ass dealing with WordPress media. Literally took me an entire day (plus a couple hours the next day) to figure out what filters/actions I could utilize in WordPress to do the same R2 stuff I did for XenForo. Not writing code... just tracing their ****ty code to find the hooks I could use. Persistence has paid off though... R2 seems to be working for WordPress media (I just deleted all the test media I uploaded). It plays well with other media that isn't stored on R2 (you don't need to move your existing stuff), it works with variations, works with the WordPress image editor, etc, etc...

1677046305036.png

The complaint on this one is that it takes 4 days to do half a day of work in WordPress. Also, I can't believe how idiotic WordPress handles/calculates uploads media paths. You know, because a massive amount of str_replace() on file paths is a is a really great way to get the true file path. So dumb (oh ya, I said that already)...

The government should come up with a medal to give the poor souls that spend every day looking at WordPress code. Or at the very least you should be knighted if you spend more than a year of your life looking at that crap.

You're right, it seems like using WordPress can be a real pain! However, you have to admit that it's remarkable how it's the most widely used CMS in the world for managing content, both by professional bloggers and major news outlets. Who knows, maybe the benefits outweigh the usage challenges.

i have one site using WordPress, I like it because it’s free, and you can achieve pretty much everything on it. But definitely won’t build a forum with it.

Wordpress content editing is very sluggish, especially using a theme with a front end page editor.
The Media library layout is rather lame and dated.
Out of the box the page load speeds aren't great, but you can reasonable page load speeds using caching.

Woocommerce is pretty good considering it's free.
The constant plugin updates and vulnerabilites are a chore to keep on top of.
I always disable the comments feature, as it's just a spamfest.

You get what you pay for I suppose.

Woocommerce is pretty good considering it's free.
The constant plugin updates and vulnerabilites are a chore to keep on top of.
I always disable the comments feature, as it's just a spamfest.

You get what you pay for I suppose.
Agree, planning to open an e-commerce website, and Woocommerce is definitely something I consider, especially that is free. With the right style, I think will be a good match.

You're right, it seems like using WordPress can be a real pain! However, you have to admit that it's remarkable how it's the most widely used CMS in the world for managing content, both by professional bloggers and major news outlets. Who knows, maybe the benefits outweigh the usage challenges.
Ya, it’s remarkable in the same sense that some people believe the earth is flat. It is incredibly crazy to me how much that crap code is being run. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe this isn't a bad thing, but it's definitely an annoying thing. WordPress.org reviews all plugins submitted before they can go live... in theory that's probably a good thing, however if you are going to do that, hire more people to do it. Currently a 49 day estimate. 😕

1686758986884.webp

It's funny as there's now a cloudflare table in how you want your xf forum to be moderated!

Sounds like through wordpress it's run on a lot of apps that annoy you

I'd consider to replace wordpress with: https://ghost.org/ (https://ghost.org/docs/install/)

Integrating with Xenforo (memberships, newsletter, comments, etc) with a bridge.
If I actually had a use for a blog/CMS like WordPress, I'd probably just build an addon for XenForo that did it all. It wouldn't be terribly difficult because WordPress doesn't actually do all that much when it comes down to it. I've certainly built a lot of things on top of XenForo that are far more complicated than WordPress. At least then I know it was coded properly.

I just don't have a need for a CMS/blog myself, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Top Bottom