Rant about WordPress

I'll gladly download it if/when it becomes available. For the few sites I have left, and don't have the time or energy to convert to something else, it's much needed.
Kind of just sitting in a holding pattern until WordPress.org sorts stuff out. Meanwhile, I've been keeping it up to date/feature parity with the XenForo version so it should be ready as soon as WordPress.org finally okays it.

To give an example, this what WordPress looks like speed-wide with the guest page caching system enabled (it's silly fast):

1693243692971.webp

I've been tossing around the idea of releasing it outside of wordpress.org because it's just taking too long, but haven't decided yet...

I imagine they're dissecting and studying it, conducting internal sessions complete with screenshots, all in an effort to learn what it truly means to write quality code.

Employee 1: Hey boss, he says he's Digitalpoint in person...

Boss: And I'm called Jesus...

Employee 2: No, no boss, we're not kidding, it's really him in person.

Boss: Well, darn, in that case, as a bonus this year, you all need to dive deep into every single character of that Zip folder. Let the team know not to accept the plugin until I've crafted the official apologies.

Kind of just sitting in a holding pattern until WordPress.org sorts stuff out. Meanwhile, I've been keeping it up to date/feature parity with the XenForo version so it should be ready as soon as WordPress.org finally okays it.

To give an example, this what WordPress looks like speed-wide with the guest page caching system enabled (it's silly fast):

View attachment 290443
I've been tossing around the idea of releasing it outside of wordpress.org because it's just taking too long, but haven't decided yet...
I have a merch store I need this for, so if you do or need a tester I can help.

I also don't care much if I run into issues, as I've had to restart this store like a million times due to POD services kind of sucking, and about to make my business partner just setup a print warehouse for us 😒.

If you do, let me know. Especially if it integrates with R2 buckets. No big deal if not, though--I have two WP projects to work on but I doubt I'll get into them until I'm done traveling for the year (mid October, most likely).

If you do, let me know. Especially if it integrates with R2 buckets. No big deal if not, though--I have two WP projects to work on but I doubt I'll get into them until I'm done traveling for the year (mid October, most likely).
It does (ability to use an R2 bucket for WordPress media). See:

It does (ability to use an R2 bucket for WordPress media).
Muy bueno. 👍

I just wish they had drag and drop image insertion built in--doing it through that media library is frustrating and about 15 years out of date. I had one plugin that enabled it, but heck if I remember which one it was.

If I actually had a use for a blog/CMS like WordPress, I'd probably just build an addon for XenForo that did it all. It wouldn't be terribly difficult because WordPress doesn't actually do all that much when it comes down to it.
If I could find something that had pages like WP, and posts, that would be plenty for me. The blogging systems I've seen to replace WP always lack a basic function or two I need.

Doing WP-type pages as nodes just seems...wrong? The closest I can think of is the Resource Manager, as it allows categorization...to an extent. Like you say, an addon (or extensive modification) would be needed and again, for a marginal site that won't get a lot of traffic, it's overkill. And even there, I have a couple of WP sites running on subdomains that I would really rather not have to revert to the primary domain just to use XF and not have to buy a crap ton of licenses just to organize auxiliary sites that feed the main forum anyway.

It does (ability to use an R2 bucket for WordPress media).
Can I use this on a "networked" install of WP? I have a handful of WP sites still, and it's much easier to manage everything via one WP installation vs. having separate installations. Alternately, if it works in a single site within a WP network, that would help also.

Just wondering, as I have to move a few things around and am just planning ahead. There is a plugin that offers R2, but it will not work on networked WP.

I love what you're doing here mate.

But I will add this.

I would never use wordpress as a forum. No matter how hard i would try and do so.
I'd use it as a blogging system on the site. A resource where other people can actually add their blogging system on their site.

As a forum, it looks very tricky to navigate around everything.
It reminds me a bit too much of the phpbb forums where you can use some of the coding but not all.

I love what you're doing here mate.

But I will add this.

I would never use wordpress as a forum. No matter how hard i would try and do so.
I'd use it as a blogging system on the site. A resource where other people can actually add their blogging system on their site.

As a forum, it looks very tricky to navigate around everything.
It reminds me a bit too much of the phpbb forums where you can use some of the coding but not all.
I wouldn’t use WordPress as forum or a blog or at all for anything really… so what’s the argument here?

I guess if you want to. But ya… I wouldn’t use WordPress for a single thing. I wouldn’t even use WordPress based e-commerce systems to sell WordPress plugins.

WordPress sucks more than I can put into words (which is why this thread exists… hah)
I'd recommend it as a standalone blogging service. It's for those who want to blog on there.
I agree with the other things you say too. That's the tricky part to it.

I guess if you want to. But ya… I wouldn’t use WordPress for a single thing. I wouldn’t even use WordPress based e-commerce systems to sell WordPress plugins.

WordPress sucks more than I can put into words (which is why this thread exists… hah)
🙃 other than it being cheaper than the alternatives, WooCommerce is absolute garbage 🥲.

@digitalpoint, I'm sorry for the change of topic, but I would really like to hear your opinion on Joomla as well. I've worked with Joomla for years, and I firmly believe it's better and more dynamic than WordPress.

Top Bottom