Rant about WordPress

It can be added to the zero trust authentication step though and anyway, there's always a way through any defence, no matter how hard, so I maintain that it can still be useful at the end server level.
Ya no doubt... but if someone has your credentials you are using for Cloudflare Zero Trust Network Access, you have much bigger problems to deal with, and a 2 second delay isn't going to help too much. ;)

One thing I would recommend is setting up your server firewall to only respond to Cloudflare IPs when traffic is coming in on port 80 or 443. At least then someone can't just bypass Cloudflare by hitting your server IPs directly. Kind of defeats the purpose of security if you can just sidestep it. Like I have a daily cron task that grabs Cloudflare IPs from here: https://www.cloudflare.com/ips-v4

...with that, it builds firewall rules so the firewall only allows traffic on port 80 or 443 from those blocks.

Then it's much more difficult for an attacker to bypass things... because they would also need to originating inside Cloudflare's network.

You definitely can change the subdomain (but it's still for your Cloudflare account as a whole). If it's named after a XenForo installation, it's probably just the name you gave it when it first asked you the subdomain. Either way, the Team Domain can be changed at any time...
That is one complaint I have about CF--so many settings seem to be scattered in various places and for someone like me who does not spend much time there, I have to spend a lot of time trying to find where they've hidden something. I tend to set things up, test them, tweak until it works properly, then I'm done with it.

I've never seen that Team Domain setting or if I did at some point, it was probably a while ago and located in a different place.

I'll see what I can find for Team Domain on my account tomorrow...

It's under your Cloudflare account (account-level, before you pick a zone/domain) -> Zero Trust -> Settings -> Custom Pages

But ya... Cloudflare does a LOT of things. Easy to get lost sometimes.

I have to thank you for stuff like this...

One thing I would recommend is setting up your server firewall to only respond to Cloudflare IPs when traffic is coming in on port 80 or 443.

I learned more about how CF works from your posts, than by slogging through their documentation and forums. It just makes more sense the way you describe it. And I wish I'd known that link to their IPv4 addresses months ago when I needed it.

I keep my own servers tightened down quite a bit--SSH is limited to three IP addresses, for instance (my home Internet, and two others server with fixed IP addresses I have access to in case my home IP ever changes). Since Cloudflare has gotten so robust since I first started using it several years ago, I have a lot of work ahead of me to further secure everything with the tools they have available.

Ya no doubt... but if someone has your credentials you are using for Cloudflare Zero Trust Network Access, you have much bigger problems to deal with, and a 2 second delay isn't going to help too much. ;)
Well yeah, that's true for any system. I'm talking about when they're trying to brute force it. Remember, I'm suggesting an escalating delay starting at 2 seconds, which is very effective at killing off brute force attacks.

One thing I would recommend is setting up your server firewall to only respond to Cloudflare IPs when traffic is coming in on port 80 or 443. At least then someone can't just bypass Cloudflare by hitting your server IPs directly. Kind of defeats the purpose of security if you can just sidestep it. Like I have a daily cron task that grabs Cloudflare IPs from here: https://www.cloudflare.com/ips-v4

...with that, it builds firewall rules so the firewall only allows traffic on port 80 or 443 from those blocks.

Then it's much more difficult for an attacker to bypass things... because they would also need to originating inside Cloudflare's network.
When I was running my server on AWS, I did just that: ports 80 and 443 only. On top of that, when the server was brand new and hadn't been patched or configured yet, I set the firewall to only allow requests from my home IP, thereby insulating it from the outside world until it was ready for prime time.

Note that I've never used Cloudflare, so I don't know the specifics of its operation.

Well yeah, that's true for any system. I'm talking about when they're trying to brute force it. Remember, I'm suggesting an escalating delay starting at 2 seconds, which is very effective at killing off brute force attacks.
Right, but they can’t brute force anything without first getting access to your Google account (or whatever method you use for Zero Trust). As in the network packet never makes it to your server. I still don’t see the point of adding a 2 second delay if you are using Zero Trust.

It would be like only allowing your IP to get through your firewall and worrying about them brute forcing whatever it was they had to be on your IP to reach. But I guess whatever works… just seems like overkill to me. I suppose an attacker could break into your house to try and brute force your servers from your IP somehow… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Zero Trust makes it so network traffic (as in the underlying HTTP request) never even get routed to your server unless it’s first authenticated.

I've also installed the WordPress plugin. Looks good so far. :)

I'd love a function to block login from endless brute force attempts. 2 tries per on admin accounts, before it switches IP and tries again. I already added turnstile to wp-login but somehow that doesn't stop them.
BTW I used a plugin to add CloudFlare turnstile to all login forms, including Elementor and gravity forms: It would make sense to have your plugin add it.

Using a different login URL stops this dead in its tracks.

Good posts - I enjoyed reading them.
Apparently, if someone knows your server's IP address, this is a way to (ab)use Cloudflare to make a DDoS attack, even if you block non-Cloudflare IPs on your hosting server:

Of course, this is extra hassle, and the security you describe is pretty damn good.

Relja - a WP site owner thinking to start with XenForo and move comments/discussions to a forum since WP sucks for that. :)

I agree, it probably is overkill and hence why not implemented. I'm just talking about in principle where perhaps the highest stakes secrets must be protected, like government military information for example.
The highest government secrets are definitely not on a public web server that script kiddies can try to brute force. In fact the biggest secrets are on computers without network capability at all (can’t even connect to a local network inside their own building). 😀

The highest government secrets are definitely not on a public web server that script kiddies can try to brute force. In fact the biggest secrets are on computers without network capability at all (can’t even connect to a local network inside their own building). 😀
Air gapped computers, indeed.

I cleaned up my firewall. In doing so, I realized I could get rid of the fail2ban rules I had for ports 80 and 443. Getting rid of complexity is a good thing. With 80 and 443 open only to Cloudflare, I verified by trying to visit one of the sites on this server with the IP address, and as expected it timed out.

I want to add a blog to my forum, so what is the best way to go about doing that? Thanks
If WordPress works for you, then it’s fine. I was just saying that I wouldn’t use it, but I also don’t have a need for a blog. If I did, I’d write something muself from scratch.

Top Bottom