Rant about WordPress

If I actually had a use for a blog/CMS like WordPress, I'd probably just build an addon for XenForo that did it all. It wouldn't be terribly difficult because WordPress doesn't actually do all that much when it comes down to it. I've certainly built a lot of things on top of XenForo that are far more complicated than WordPress. At least then I know it was coded properly.

A lot of people use the @Bob addon for homepage for their site.

I don't know if @digitalpoint runs other developers add-ons? I mostly see him just develop everything to fit his own needs.
Ya… I’m not opposed in principle, but I’m also very security conscious, so going through other people’s code to make sure it’s up to par without security issues (and then redoing that with every release) just takes more time than it does for me to just make it myself (and make whatever it is exactly what I want).

Also, coincidentally I do have my own add-on for making a home page/landing page. :)

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

1687535133297.webp

If I actually had a use for a blog/CMS like WordPress, I'd probably just build an addon for XenForo that did it all. It wouldn't be terribly difficult because WordPress doesn't actually do all that much when it comes down to it. I've certainly built a lot of things on top of XenForo that are far more complicated than WordPress. At least then I know it was coded properly.

I just don't have a need for a CMS/blog myself, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh, I would most definitely purchase a Xenforo CMS addon. I do have @Bob's blog addon, but an actual CMS for the pages aspect of my site would certainly be nice. I can only do extremely basic HTML layouts. I can't make fancy page designs in HTML/CSS, so a visual builder would be super, super helpful.

And yes, I've upvoted a few CMS-related suggestions and addon requests.

Okay, I got more... lol So I waited over 2 months for the "initial review". The WordPress plugin reviewers want to change the plugin slug / display name from something that adheres to:
  • Cloudflare's trademark guidelines
  • WordPress' own guidelines
  • ...and doesn't violate the DigitalPoint trademark... (the plugin itself has no affiliation with DigitalPoint the company)
...to something that violates:
  • Cloudflare's guidelines
  • WordPress' own guidelines
  • DigitalPoint (the company) trademark
It was:

Slug: app-for-cloudflare
Display name: App for Cloudflare®

they changed it to:

Slug: digitalpoint-app-for-cf
Display name: Digitalpoint App for Cloudflare

Cloudflare's guidelines: https://www.cloudflare.com/trademark/#when-allowed-how-may-i-use-the-trademarks?
Properly designate (with ®, ™, or ℠) all of Cloudflare trademarks the first time the trademark appears in text.
Correct: “My App for Cloudflare®”

WordPress' guidelines: https://developer.wordpress.org/plu...spect-trademarks-copyrights-and-project-names
The use of trademarks or other projects as the sole or initial term of a plugin slug is prohibited unless proof of legal ownership/representation can be confirmed.

Probably doesn't seem like a big deal, however I'm not trying to violate Cloudflare's guidelines. I'm also not trying to have users come to digitalpoint.com to try and get support by implying the company has anything to do with it.

...oh well, I guess we wait another few months for them to read my email response.

Don't talk to me about Wordpress.

I contacted them to get my support forum username changed. They replied that I can't, instead to just create a new user.

I did that and got both accounts banned for being a sock puppet. It took about two months to get it revoked.

Baby steps... lol took them a week and a half to respond to my email telling them why the original name and slug were in fact correct and that they should undo the "changes they made to the name and slug".

At least they agreed that the original name/slug were correct and changed it back. That was a waste of 10 days. Now they decided they want to verify that I own the domain. So that will probably be another week or two for them to see that.

Someday they might even review the plugin. 😂

Baby steps... lol took them a week and a half to respond to my email telling them why the original name and slug were in fact correct and that they should undo the "changes they made to the name and slug".

At least they agreed that the original name/slug were correct and changed it back. That was a waste of 10 days. Now they decided they want to verify that I own the domain. So that will probably be another week or two for them to see that.

Someday they might even review the plugin. 😂
I mean, given the trash that gets released to Wordpress (to the extent it's recommended to have a browser extension to review Wordpress extensions) they'll probably never look at it and just review it anyways :LOL:.

I mean, given the trash that gets released to Wordpress (to the extent it's recommended to have a browser extension to review Wordpress extensions) they'll probably never look at it and just review it anyways :LOL:.
I'm actually a little worried the code is going to be too advanced/over their head and they aren't going to be able to wrap their head around it/review it even if they wanted to.

WordPress's core has barely started using basic PHP classes (and even then they are mostly using them as static methods, not really as objects are intended to be used). Are they going to understand things like my custom Promise class to doing API requests in parallel, PHP Traits that exist dynamically based on the platform they are using or autoloaders that do completely different things based on if something is installed? Probably not...

I'm actually a little worried the code is going to be too advanced/over their head and they aren't going to be able to wrap their head around it/review it even if they wanted to.

WordPress's core has barely started using basic PHP classes (and even then they are mostly using them as static methods, not really as objects are intended to be used). Are they going to understand things like my custom Promise class to doing API requests in parallel, PHP Traits that exist dynamically based on the platform they are using or autoloaders that do completely different things based on if something is installed? Probably not...
They probably just pass it through an automated system, and don't actually review the code themselves unless something is flagged.

Given how many extensions have extremely poor performance and get through, I honestly don't see their review process being that thorough 🙃.

They probably just pass it through an automated system, and don't actually review the code themselves unless something is flagged.

Given how many extensions have extremely poor performance and get through, I honestly don't see their review process being that thorough 🙃.
Ya, hopefully they default to "let it pass" if they don't see/understand anything wrong with it.

Last I read, there were 800+ plugins in the reviews queue with a call for more volunteers to join the team.

Well, we probably all know what happens with items in a large moderation queue: staff often processes the quick ones first and the ones no one understands are left to the other staff in the hope that they have an idea. I see the concern Shawn has about method and code complexity.

Top Bottom