XF 1.0 Quoting Multiple Posts

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.

Not a bad feature but it's really not of much use for multi-quoting

As-is right now, when you click Reply to quote, you're shot down to the bottom of the page...Well, if you want to quote multiple people, you've got to keep scrolling up and down and up and down and up and down to include everybody.

Not a bad feature but it's really not of much use for multi-quoting

As-is right now, when you click Reply to quote, you're shot down to the bottom of the page...Well, if you want to quote multiple people, you've got to keep scrolling up and down and up and down and up and down to include everybody.

I agree with this remark. It is already a good start, but can be improved so we don't have to scroll up and down everytime indeed as you've already pointed out. There needs to be a way to 'mark' a posting for multi-quoting.

My practical experience with vb3.8 tells me I almost never use multi-page quoting actually, but I do love the way you can mark postings on a page and use them for multi-quote.

I must say that this is one of the very few things that I'm not happy with, as is. I don't like the nested quoting, so I've been cutting and pasting when I quote more than one post, in order to separate them so that I could reply to each in one post and it be understandable.

I also agree with the above remarks about the scrolling. When you click on Quote, you're taken to the reply box. You then have to scroll up to click Quote on another post, then you're taken back to the reply box and if you have someone else to quote, you have to scroll up again. Not user-friendly. But then perhaps I'm just being lazy. :confused:

I've renamed this thread. The feature is not supposed to rival Multi Quote on other systems, it's really just a way to quote multiple posts easily.

I've renamed this thread. The feature is not supposed to rival Multi Quote on other systems, it's really just a way to quote multiple posts easily.

Our point is that it's not currently a way to quote multiple posts easily ;)

I know you're absolutely slammed right now and don't expect these sorts of things to be polished, just want to send across the message that the feature right now is not of much use to me at all.

But it doesn't do that. :) I've had to take your post out of the nest, and put it in its place so that I can reply first to you, then to Ryan. That's the first problem - the nested quotes. Second issue is with all the scrolling to be able to quote more than one post, which could very easily become frustrating.

Our point is that it's not currently a way to quote multiple posts easily ;)

I know you're absolutely slammed right now and don't expect these sorts of things to be polished, just want to send across the message that the feature right now is not of much use to me at all.
Key word there, being easily. Not at all. :)

FWIW, Mike is in the process of changing the system so that it only quotes a single level - no more nesting by default.

So you did. Example:
But it doesn't do that. :) I've had to take your post out of the nest, and put it in its place so that I can reply first to you, then to Ryan. That's the first problem - the nested quotes. Second issue is with all the scrolling to be able to quote more than one post, which could very easily become frustrating.

Key word there, being easily. Not at all. :)

Seeing how this post is about multi quote posting, it's demonstrating how to post multiple quotes.

Got it. I wasn't sure if you were demonstrating the original feature or a fix/change that Mike made. It looked like at first that when you clicked "reply" to the first two quotes, it didn't go all the way down to the quick reply field like it's supposed to, but I'm assuming that's just a delay. I wasn't sure if it was something that changed or not. :)

Edit: nevermind, I watched it again and you didn't actually click on any links before you quoted Kier's post. Ignore me. :D

Ok great, I like the separate quotes . Unfortunately, clicking on each reply button still sends you down to the bottom of the page, and you have to scroll up to click on other posts to reply. Not a problem when there are only one - four posts in the thread, but more than that, constitutes scrolling.

I also just realized that if you have quoted any posts on one page then go to another page in the same thread, you lose the posts you've quoted on the previous page(s).

Top Bottom