XF 1.0 Quoting Multiple Posts

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.

Ok great, I like the separate quotes . Unfortunately, clicking on each reply button still sends you down to the bottom of the page, and you have to scroll up to click on other posts to reply. Not a problem when there are only one - four posts in the thread, but more than that, constitutes scrolling.

I also just realized that if you have quoted any posts on one page then go to another page in the same thread, you lose the posts you've quoted on the previous page(s).

Yup, when you toss in wanting to quote posts across multiple pages it gets hectic.

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.

cool feature to have..

Just had a thought, how about a button to collapse a thread's post down to 1 or 2 line post list preview text with check box to be able to select which posts to add to multi-quote ? That would allow spanning over multipage pages or at least as long as a the list view is displayable vertical wise.

Have number of line preview on collapse thread posts an option in admin control panel and/or end user settings options.

cool feature to have..

Just had a thought, how about a button to collapse a thread's post down to 1 or 2 line post list preview text with check box to be able to select which posts to add to multi-quote ? That would allow spanning over multipage pages or at least as long as a the list view is displayable vertical wise.

Have number of line preview on collapse thread posts an option in admin control panel and/or end user settings options.
I think that would make things too complicated for many avg joe users. This would constitute yet another, different view of content they would have to cope with. KISS.

Ok great, I like the separate quotes . Unfortunately, clicking on each reply button still sends you down to the bottom of the page, and you have to scroll up to click on other posts to reply. Not a problem when there are only one - four posts in the thread, but more than that, constitutes scrolling.

I also just realized that if you have quoted any posts on one page then go to another page in the same thread, you lose the posts you've quoted on the previous page(s).

I agree with this 100% the current system is unusable. The vB multiquote system is much superior.

I agree with this 100% the current system is unusable. The vB multiquote system is much superior.

Don't know what you mean by unusable, but it works just fine for me lol. It may not be as good, but that doesn't mean it sucks. :/ At least it has a multi-quote.

But like I said, better to have some option to multi-quote than none at all.

Anyways, like you said, it'll be changed / fixed I'm sure.

Perhaps the answer to this is to have the QR box "follow you about", like it does in vB4...one of the few things in vB4 I really like.

Perhaps the answer to this is to have the QR box "follow you about", like it does in vB4...one of the few things in vB4 I really like.

I don't like how it's inserted into the page between other posts. That to me is misleading. However, if it were in an overlay, that would be different....

It would seem some seem to forget that this platform is in its infancy, so there are going to be some annoying aspects until they're ironed out. So far I'm really impressed.

It would seem some seem to forget that this platform is in its infancy, so there are going to be some annoying aspects until they're ironed out. So far I'm really impressed.

Not really. Everyone is aware of that, but the devs explicitly have asked for feedback. As long as it's voiced in a civilized manner and constructive, what should be wrong about telling what does not work out for you? That means no disrespect for the work of anyone, it merely shows that you are prepared to engage in the software.

Very true, and called for comment. But customer(?) feedback is welcomed, as it helps shape it to what the majority of users like.

I think the current system is fine. But I agree, the scrolling up and down is a bit tedious at times in long threads. I rather mark a post as 'I will get back to this in a bit', and go through a few pages.

Top Bottom