Quick Reply For Guest

Quick Reply For Guest 1.0.9

No permission to download
Is the guest post sent to moderation? How is it stored while the user registers?
I took a look at this tonight on a test site. The guest post is actually stored in a new table so it doesn't show up in any queues or anywhere else that a normal post would. If the guest registers an account then the post in the temp table is submitted as a normal new post would be so at that point it'd be subject to moderation & so on. If the guest does not create an account then the cron job will delete the post from the temp table after a set period of time.

Is the guest post sent to moderation? How is it stored while the user registers?
I took a look at this tonight on a test site. The guest post is actually stored in a new table so it doesn't show up in any queues or anywhere else that a normal post would. If the guest registers an account then the post in the temp table is submitted as a normal new post would be so at that point it'd be subject to moderation & so on. If the guest does not create an account then the cron job will delete the post from the temp table after a set period of time.

Do you redirect them to login/register? How do they know they need to do that in order for their post to appear?

If anybody wants to see this in action, I've installed it on a live site at Cool Sci-Fi. Just click on any of the threads as a guest (eg: random thread). At the bottom of the screen you'll see the quick reply editor as if you were logged in. Enter a reply and hit the 'Post Reply' button. As soon as you do a pop-up overlay will be shown to you where you can register an account.

If you install it on your site, after uploading the files to your server and importing the XML file you will first need to go into your Options to explicitly specify which forums will allow quick reply for guests. It is a per forum opt-in choice, not opt-out. You won't see the quick reply box until you specify the forums.

For users who are already registered then if they do a quick reply as a guest and enter their credentials on the overlay then the post will be submitted seamlessly.

Are there the buttons for attachments, polls and more options?
On my site, no, because I have all guest permissions for posting content turned off in the ACP except for this new add-on. I have not yet experimented with trying a mixture of turning on some options in the ACP for guests in conjunction with this.

For users who are already registered then if they do a quick reply as a guest and enter their credentials on the overlay then the post will be submitted seamlessly.
Good, that is important for members who don't realize they are logged out

Good, that is important for members who don't realize they are logged out
I definitely like that part as well since I've done it myself at times. :D Go to write a quick reply to a thread, realize I'm not logged in, mumble as I scroll back to the top of the page to log in, mumble as I scroll back down the page again...

When users submit form. An overlay for login or register will be appear.
I don't think it's enoug. People that aren't familiar with forums won't understand why they have an overlay with login/register. An overlay with login/register and a message to the user would be more efficient in my opinion. See here:
Www.yelp.com
Try to write a review as a guest

I don't think it's enoug. People that aren't familiar with forums won't understand why they have an overlay with login/register. An overlay with login/register and a message to the user would be more efficient in my opinion. See here:
Www.yelp.com
Try to write a review as a guest

I think just change the submit button title to: "Login/Register to Posting"? is that enough?

Top Bottom