1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding upgrade of search

Discussion in 'Enhanced Search Support' started by cmeinck, Mar 26, 2013.

1. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

I read the release notes and it appears to be no different than a typical XenForo upgrade. I just want to be sure, because the initial setup of search was not something I was able to do without seeking paid assistance.

Thanks!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Presumably you mean ES.

As long as you comply with the requirements listed in the announcement, it's just a standard add-on upgrade.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-enhanced-search-1-0-1-released.47025/

Requirements
    XFES requires that you have elasticsearch 0.16.0 or newer installed. As such, this add-on is only applicable if you have root access to your server (such as with a dedicated server or VPS). XFES also requires XenForo 1.1.1 or newer.

3. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

So no restart of ES is needed?

4. Brogan

You should rebuild the search index.

I'm quoting Mike here...

"A rebuild is not required, but to get the benefits, you will need to. But to get the benefits, you need to click "optimize" on the ES setup page, which would then force you to reindex as it would remove all of the old data"

5. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To expand

Stuff indexed before 1.0.1 will work as usual, but 1.0.1 includes serveral performance / size improvements (removing the source file), which will not take effect on old content until a full re-index is done. There is a new option in the search settings page one of them being "optimize" which will force you to re-index anyway.

6. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Where is this "optimise" option?

7. Brogan

The optimize option won't show up unless it's needed.

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  8. Anthony Parsons

Thanks... as I don't have it after upgrading. Slavik updated my server the other day to the latest ES and Java... so I was wondering about that. I updated ES, rebuilt and couldn't find an optimise option on my search page. Whew!!!

9. Brogan

Same here.

I want my search index to be rubbish now just so I have the option :D

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  10. Anthony Parsons

Ah ha... seen on my main forum when updating just ES. Huge index... nice touch, as well as the delete option.

11. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I've just run the upgrade on CycleChat and changed the index name in the process (so I had the old and new ones to compare); old index 2.1GB - new optimsed index 1.2GB ... :D

Nice upgrade guys.

Thanks,
    Shaun :D

12. Anthony Parsons

Can I just confirm, that the optimise option is one option on the page that you use "after" rebuild, not before? I've used it prior, it still appears. I've used it after, it still appears.

13. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

If you don't use ES, where does the default search store the search words? In vBulletin they were in a table called "words".

14. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Before, it will have to wipe out the index to properly optimize. I'm not sure why it's appearing still for you though. The only way I could check that is with FTP (or similar) access.

xf_search_index.

15. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Now that I'm using ES, there are about 2,500 rows of old data in my xf_search_index, I assume it's safe to truncate this table.

Also is the xf_search table still being used? There are about 2,100 rows of data in it, should I truncate that too?

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can truncate the index, but not the search table.

17. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Does ElasticSearch use the xf_index table, or is this table being used by other parts of the Xenforo program?

I wish there was a way of reading the BLOB data using phpmyadmin so I could see the contents of the xf_index table.

18. Anthony Parsons

Mike, there is a recent ticket I started that Jake helped with, that contains data for you to access the site.