PWAs will break in iOS 17.4

I am of course saying all of this in jest. Apple needs to get its act together and stop behaving like a toddler who's been told they can't have sweets.
It's the same with android...
As for the article it had me saying words i cannot repeat

It was a joke because there are no Brexit benefits aside from this nonsense which may not affect us.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I find it funny how some journo who doesn't know what they're on about turns it into something political.
You poor Brits. I can't imagine somebody hanging some banter on you guys.
It's usually a heap of respect.

Apple developer said:
Why don't users in the EU have access to Home Screen web apps?

To comply with the Digital Markets Act, Apple has done an enormous amount of engineering work to add new functionality and capabilities for developers and users in the European Union — including more than 600 new APIs and a wide range of developer tools.

The iOS system has traditionally provided support for Home Screen web apps by building directly on WebKit and its security architecture. That integration means Home Screen web apps are managed to align with the security and privacy model for native apps on iOS, including isolation of storage and enforcement of system prompts to access privacy impacting capabilities on a per-site basis.

Without this type of isolation and enforcement, malicious web apps could read data from other web apps and recapture their permissions to gain access to a user’s camera, microphone or location without a user’s consent. Browsers also could install web apps on the system without a user’s awareness and consent. Addressing the complex security and privacy concerns associated with web apps using alternative browser engines would require building an entirely new integration architecture that does not currently exist in iOS and was not practical to undertake given the other demands of the DMA and the very low user adoption of Home Screen web apps. And so, to comply with the DMA’s requirements, we had to remove the Home Screen web apps feature in the EU.

EU users will be able to continue accessing websites directly from their Home Screen through a bookmark with minimal impact to their functionality. We expect this change to affect a small number of users. Still, we regret any impact this change — that was made as part of the work to comply with the DMA — may have on developers of Home Screen web apps and our users.

The upside is maybe we will simply get browsers doing native push notifications without needing to install a web app... hopefully.

Apple developer said said:
building an entirely new integration architecture that does not currently exist in iOS and was not practical to undertake given the other demands of the DMA and the very low user adoption of Home Screen web apps

Oh gee, I wonder why that is? Maybe because you nerfed PWA's for so many years in favour of native apps? This is a problem you created trying to keep everyone walled into the native app ecosystem.

Apple developer said said:
We expect this change to affect a small number of users.

Maybe because PWAs were so crap for so long, no one wanted to use them due to the artificial limitations that you imposed!

I don't find PWA's crap. I just don't think they're properly functioned out to actually work with other technology.

Psych! EU users will have PWA in 17.4.

Apple developer said:
UPDATE: Previously, Apple announced plans to remove the Home Screen web apps capability in the EU as part of our efforts to comply with the DMA. The need to remove the capability was informed by the complex security and privacy concerns associated with web apps to support alternative browser engines that would require building a new integration architecture that does not currently exist in iOS.

We have received requests to continue to offer support for Home Screen web apps in iOS, therefore we will continue to offer the existing Home Screen web apps capability in the EU. This support means Home Screen web apps continue to be built directly on WebKit and its security architecture, and align with the security and privacy model for native apps on iOS.

Developers and users who may have been impacted by the removal of Home Screen web apps in the beta release of iOS in the EU can expect the return of the existing functionality for Home Screen web apps with the availability of iOS 17.4 in early March.

Apple decided to do that all on it's own out of the goodness of their hearts

😂
Yep... because they received "requests to continue to offer support".

I just sent them a request to have their CPU development devision design CPUs that are drop in replacements for Xeon processors, but that are more efficient and use less power. 🤞🏻

Annoying that data center rack density is more or less limited because of how much power CPUs need.

Top Bottom