Public THANKS to Mike Edge

ibaker

Towards the end of last year and early this year I, like I guess many others, became so frustrated and disillusioned about having forum web sites. The forum software industry was in a mess with XF completely stagnated and no communication, vb was going down hill fast and with vb5 is now in the death throws of extinction and what I signed on for with XF, an exiting new future to be a part of and enjoy a ride into greatness, was all but gone.

I got depressed every time I opened my site and even more depressed every time I came here seeing the turmoil and fights and a future that looked to me like having to pay a large premium for any little thing if I wanted to continue using XF. BUT, that is getting to a point of being just a sour memory now that these forums are starting to become helpful again, I am seeing Mike (XF Mike) posting again helping us all, we see 1.1.4 released and whilst there is still no word on what 1.2 is likely to bring, I am seeing some great vibrant activity back here at XF which has fuelled my enthusiasm, providing a much brighter future, that has encouraged me to get back into things.

The point of this is that this was topped off with some great help and support I received about moving to a new server and the technologies that I could use like SSD drives, Percona etc. Then Mike Edge offered to set my new server up and migrate my sites over to it...what a godsend, a relief, a solution that with my very little knowledge of server admin was something that I would accept with open arms.

Mike handled it all. He did everything allowing me to relax knowing it was in safe hands. The communication from Mike was 2nd to none and I was aware of every step he was taking and within only a few hours the whole thing was done. Not only was all sites migrated over (one being around 2.5gb of data but Percona was installed instead of mySQL, ElasticSearch was installed and set up for my main site, DNS was all done and even a cacheing system (memcache) installed.

The server is purring so nicely and the sites are amazingly hassle free...I was so impressed with what and how Mike did it I paid him a little more as a donation to what my normal server admin guy was going to charge me for less work.

If anyone can avail themselves of Mike's services then don't hesitate.

Thanks Mike for a job extremely well done and for XF for providing a new future in forum software

Wow, thank you very much for the ultra kind words Ian. It was a real pleasure to work with you. Do feel free to contact me at any time again in the future!

I too received excellent help and rescue from Mike Edge. I was also very depressed earlier this year due to a bad hosting situation. Mike spent several days sorting out all the mess left by his predecessor.

I do want to correct one thing in the OP though. He says
whilst there is still no word on what 1.2 is likely to bring
which is not correct. We have quite a bit of info - check the implemented tags, and there's the TMS feature as well. Think that's in Have You Seen ...
- this is yet more evidence that we need global alerts on the announcement threads.

Margain, it is things like "Is the Editor going to be updated" to fix things like smilies on iPads etc and is there going to be better Admin functions etc etc etc...I am in the middle of rebuilding my site and want to keep it as clean as possible and not have to install addons that may not be needed in a week, a month, in 3 months etc and that also includes styles, mobile style, auto mobile detector, and the Calendar mod...is there going to be an XF calendar, do I install some kind of article system when there may be some other XF solution built in that could be used...I am hoping for some direction on what may or may not be so I can make better decisions in my rebuild process...that is all

Ian yes I understand but I was answering the exactr thing you said which sounded like there's no info.

The routemap issue you're really talking about goes way back. I remember us calling for it on VB 3.6 and 3.7 !!!
But the developers just don't do it and rarely do on any software I think because there are too many variables interacting to make it realistic to predict.

I am almost certain there is not going to be a Calendar, nor an Articles system as Ive seen those mentioned. (I'm hoping to release my RM Articles this week but it's only an edit of the RM)
There is almost certainly going to be an XF mobile/ responsive style.
There is an XF system like TMS on the way for redesigning templates though it is being hotly discussed. Currently it's aimed at devs for addons but we're hoping to persuade XF to make it friendly for general template edits.

I too received excellent help and rescue from Mike Edge. I was also very depressed earlier this year due to a bad hosting situation. Mike spent several days sorting out all the mess left by his predecessor.

Thank you for the nice words, Glad I was able to get that mess you had all sorted out for you :)

What services does Mike offer? :)

Anything xF or Linux related from upgrades to securing your server to setting up new software. I also own xF Host, we were the first xF only host, hosting many xF instances from small boards starting up to big boards with several million posts all though a shared server setup with each of our servers offering 64GB RAM and Percona MySQL on SSD drives. Feel free to start a PC with me at anytime if you need anything :D

Top Bottom