Browser issue Pressing enter in Android keyboard hides the keyboard

What's the normal process for a fix on something like this? Thanks!
check in beta and dev builds. if it is working fine in those browsers, it's likely that chrome developers messed something in current build and it should eventually get fixed in a future update. if beta/dev/canary are showing the same behavior, it becomes complicated.

So who is it is responsible? Google or Froala. Or whoever blinks first?

clint eastwood showdown GIF

I have this on 2.1 (lve) and 2.2 (sandbox) with Chrome on my Samsung S6 and one other forum user has reported it so far, so I think it's fairly new.

Back spacing to delete a space character hides the keyboard.
Tap in the text box to show the keyboard and then back space and the keyboard hides again. Tap to bring the keyboard back, type more characters and back space, and when you delete a space character, the keyboard hides again.
Also hitting the Return key hides the keyboard.
Firefox on Android is fine.
Chrome on iOS is fine.

Pretty serious bug and the advice has to be to use a different browser.

Last edited:
While I still need to see if I can come up with a simpler reproduction test case, it's worth noting that there is an open bug report for this same behavior in TinyMCE as well:

A quick test didn't trigger it in CKEditor though I didn't do much testing.

This certainly points to something that might be somewhat low level in Chrome that changed.

So I was going to post that I have yet to encounter this either here or on my own site and then, wham, it happens on another Xenforo site that I just joined a couple days ago. Now I need to test again on my own site. Maybe I just haven't been posting from my phone much or something.

(Yep, now I am seeing it here).

As an FYI - we have confirmed the issue and determined that is most likely related to Chrome 85.

It isn't really necessary for any more posts about it happening on other sites, versions, etc.

I'm going to leave this as confirmed for now, but I have created a reduced test case and reported this as a Chrome bug:

I have also reproduced this issue in 4 completely distinct RTEs in some manner, so that should emphasize the extent of applications being affected.

Credits to the QuillJS bug report as it set me on the course for a reduced test case, though I haven't been able to do a simple workaround yet (let alone one that could apply to XF/Froala).

For now, I can only recommend toggling the RTE off with the affected device. Given the extent of the breakage, I hope that the Chromium devs will consider expediting a fix.

Turns out my report was a duplicate, so it's being tracked here now:

The latest comment as of now seems to suggest that this a hot fix is going to be brought into a subsequent Chrome 85 build which should hopefully be available next week. I'll tag this as a browser issue to emphasize that, but I'll leave it open until we can confirm the fix starts rolling out.

Top Bottom