Postbit - "kitchen style"

Accreal

looks awful. I certainly understand that this is just a demonstration that you can put more information. But nevertheless want to look at this beautiful xf what now seems. I would like to look nicer by default (for those who want to use standard style - xenforo.)

Kier finds it awful too;) You can always change it to this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/style-properties-ii-a-closer-look.3690/#post-56513

I think people just have to unlearn the habit of pushing as much information as possible in the message user info (or postbit in vB terminology).
I would have thought that the 'Kitchen Sink' title would have been sufficient hint that this is not a style we endorse or take seriously.
When there are 2 kinds of postbit-that's good. It is well that you can choose between displaying postbit.
Just wanted 2 versions will looked nice...

...people just have to unlearn the habit of pushing as much information as possible in the message user info (or postbit in vB terminology).

I already said this elsewhere, but I was completely surprised this week by some members' requests to have things removed from the postbit - including medals and post count. (Not my board, just one I help out at.) They didn't like the clutter.

When there are 2 kinds of postbit-that's good. It is well that you can choose between displaying postbit.

The way I see it (and believe me) in the beginning I didn't like the minimalistic postbit look. Then after a few days I could see the reasoning behind it that data like post count, location etc etc is just redundant bloat. It's all placed inside the membercard separate from the postbit.

To touch upon what you said in your first post. "it doesn't look nice?" is this a good enough argument to warrant putting redundant data and cluttering up a postbit? For me it's not. You weed out the bloat and this alone (think long term) gives you the option of re-inventing the postbit area by adding other features that have not even been thought of by other products.

The minimalistic look opens many doors to (i'll say again) to re-invent the postbit area. It may not seem like it now because many people are in this mindset of settling for what other products and thinking that the standard is what you are delt with. It's not. That is yet to come imo and xenforo postbit area has many options to implement with adding to exisiting clutter but inserting features that may come in the future. If that made any sense.

Whats the point of replicating what already exists? Why is it people are trying to turn XF into VB and VB into XF? Seriously... people need to just let go and either make the change or stick with what they use. But it must stop that people want to change products, but then have that product replicate exactly what they had before.

One thing I will say about the kitchen sink style is that the "report, like, reply" buttons need to be pushed down to the same line as the bottom of the postbit. Looks horrid how it is now.

One thing I will say about the kitchen sink style is that the "report, like, reply" buttons need to be pushed down to the same line as the bottom of the postbit. Looks horrid how it is now.

Have you suggested this in the suggestions area JVCode? I think you should if you haven't as this suggestion is a good one and makes sense to have them pushed down.

Have you suggested this in the suggestions area JVCode? I think you should if you haven't as this suggestion is a good one and makes sense to have them pushed down.
I believe it was discussed and I also believe Mike said that it's technically hard to do because you don't know the length of a post or something.

I believe it was discussed and I also believe Mike said that it's technically hard to do because you don't know the length of a post or something.

I'm not a designer or nothing, but does it matter that length? the end of the postbit is the end of the postbit, no matter how long, short, fat, or thin it is. Isn't there a rule you could set for it?

I'm not a designer or nothing, but does it matter that length? the end of the postbit is the end of the postbit, no matter how long, short, fat, or thin it is. Isn't there a rule you could set for it?
To be honest this is a little over my head too, but here's what I think is the problem: with tables you can set a height, in CSS-based design you have no tables so you can't specify the height. That height is based on the variable content in a block-level element. So the signature/links will be placed below the content in a post, the content in that post will push the signature below it....

So when the left user info block has a height that is more than the content in the post, the signature will float to the top of the post instead of to the bottom (end of the user info block). Since you don't know where that end is (it's variable) you don't know the exact placement for the signature/links.

This is a typical CSS problem and I'm afraid there's not much that can be done about it until some genius finds a way....

Devs/designers/coders please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well the message content does have a minimum height attribute and I mentioned this before:

Code:
.message .messageContent {
min-height:100px;
}

I don't see why the css can't be edited to reflect the height of the postbit.
I did it in Firebug and it seemed to work OK.

post.webp

Setting a min-height is not a problem indeed. Of course the problem is to know the exact height here... Let's say you increase the min-height to 300px or whatever is needed. That may work ok in the current kitchen sink style, but when the left user info box has a lesser height the signature/links will be too low. So although you can set the min-height, there is no way to know the exact height of left/right content.

It does but that's all you can do really.
Set a min-height for each style based on the longest possible user-info block.

Not ideal I agree but better than having sig's way further up.

Your trick works when making a custom style indeed. When the admin knows the length of the left user info he can set a min-height for .messageContent.

But if the devs would set a minimum height with the default style, based on the longest possible user-info block, the signature/links would be too far below the content and user-info block. So that's what I tried to explain, the devs can't set a one-fits-all CSS.

Top Bottom