Portal/CMS

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
I know there have been several working on things like this in the past.

Has anyone been going in this direction?

1. I would like it to be the front page of my forum.
2. I would like to promote the first post in a thread to an article on the front page.
3. I would like posts in the thread to appear as comments on the front page and would like comments on the front page to appear as threads.
4. I want permissions so that only admins can promote an article.
5. I want to be able to control the order the articles are displayed in.
6. I would like it to allow me to set the articles up as double column of articles.
7. I want categories or an index of some kind that would allow the users to only have articles show inside of that category.

Has anyone done anything yet? The demand for a cms is getting pretty bad. The guy who finally makes this and monetizes it a bit would be making bank IMO. Personally I've run out of things I can do with xenporta and it doesn't look like Jaxel is ever going to update it or expand it. Maybe someone can take the project from him and build from it???

I believe some developers are waiting for some stability to come back with XenForo. Once everything with the trail and lawsuit pulls through I would imagine you'll see many developers flock to work on it. We have had a much better experience developing for this as opposed to any other forum software.

We had begun working on a portal/CMS system a few months ago, but pulled the project to focus on Simple Forms 2.0. I don't know if we will go back to it, that's dependent on how XenForo shakes up.

I'm hiring a great coder and a great designer for a new portal page bc Jaxel's xenporta does not work great for big boards or even active sites and causes major loading issues, especially if you want to look at older articles...bc he doesn't cache any other page besides the home page and the queries seem extremely slow. Plus all the site errors I get using it...but since we are using it now, I can't really get rid of it as I won't have a homepage then. I have my own ideas that I'd like implemented and if you are wanting to invest in this, then we can talk about more features to add to it (which will likely increase the final quote).

Please PM me if you are interested. This will be a $xxxx.xx type of investment with up front deposit, so serious inquiries only. I won't waste my time entertaining someone's ideas if they are going to invest as Idk if this will be a publicly made addon, or just one for the investors.

Is anything smaller than $XXXX serious? Some of us are not rich....

Can't help if you plan to be choosey, but in my opinion beggers don't have the luxury of being choosey.

We all need a decent CMS. You could make this better available to all of us, and let us help in ways that do not clean out our entire monthly paychecks......

Is anything smaller than $XXXX serious? Some of us are not rich....

Can't help if you plan to be choosey, but in my opinion beggers don't have the luxury of being choosey.

We all need a decent CMS. You could make this better available to all of us, and let us help in ways that do not clean out our entire monthly paychecks......
I think he means the final price will be 4 digits, and that he only wants people who are serious about investing into it to contact him.

It's just to prevent those people who say they're interested, then back out. The final price is shared between all the contributors, so if someone backs up it delays the add-on for everyone.

I think he means the final price will be 4 digits, and that he only wants people who are serious about investing into it to contact him.

It's just to prevent those people who say they're interested, then back out. The final price is shared between all the contributors, so if someone backs up it delays the add-on for everyone.

Well thats what I mean. What exactly is a serious quote? If a guy gives you $10, he's running on bare bones, and that's coming out of his food money for the month......would that not be serious? Who judges that?? Not everyone in this forum is going to donate huge amounts of money to this, we simply don't have huge amounts of money. What about all the small donors? Anyone who works with money can tell you that money builds. I just came across it and found it massively selfish personally. We all need a solution, not just the 1% of the forum world.

If you can't afford to pay a coder that puts a lot of hours into a massive addon for the site, why should you be given it for free? This reminds me of what is going on in America right now. You say you need it but there are at least 4 options right now for your homepage (wp bridge, xenporta, widgets portal, that joomla bridge mod, I forget the name). If you can't afford to hire someone, then you are SOL. We've all been there. Many have started from nothing, not even knowing any bits of coding, and have grown empires. You learn to live with what you have. You can't have everything. You are right, beggars can't be choosers (and you are begging to only pay $10 when I'll be paying probably 40x that - money is money, you say you need food, I need to invest into a practice I'm going to buy). I'm not begging anyone to help fund this, but it would be nice to split this 3-4 ways and I thought it would be good for those individuals who do want to jump aboard as we will all be splitting the costs for a great coder. If no one is interested, I'll be hiring him anyways and keeping it to myself. Selfish? Perhaps, but I'm the one putting up all the money for it and everyone is begging for a better solution but don't or can't put any money into it. My money, my choice. If I'm the only one with this, it gives my site a much more unique feel to it, which is a big plus for any big board.

We can't have it all from the start unless you are the great coder and designer for your site. If you are neither, then you need to use your money to get what you need, or utilize what is already free. If you have a small site, Jaxel's mod works alright and I'm sure the widget portal does too. I'm looking for something that will be coded properly and have the features that I need specifically tailored to my site. If you can't afford to split it evenly, then I'm likely not interested. You are begging, I am choosing. I just made the post to give a few people the opportunity to jump aboard. Think of it more as a courtesy.

It doesn't offer what we need. Plus, the bridge has issues with it such as no canonical links, duplicate content (same as canonical problem I suppose), can't promote thread to article, no caching addon works, etc. Plus, then I have to hire a designer and coder to get things done the way I want. If I'm going to hire someone, I might as well hire someone to do it with xenforo to make things easier as bridges aren't the most easy thing to deal with.

If you can't afford to pay a coder that puts a lot of hours into a massive addon for the site, why should you be given it for free? This reminds me of what is going on in America right now. You say you need it but there are at least 4 options right now for your homepage (wp bridge, xenporta, widgets portal, that joomla bridge mod, I forget the name). If you can't afford to hire someone, then you are SOL. We've all been there. Many have started from nothing, not even knowing any bits of coding, and have grown empires. You learn to live with what you have. You can't have everything. You are right, beggars can't be choosers (and you are begging to only pay $10 when I'll be paying probably 40x that - money is money, you say you need food, I need to invest into a practice I'm going to buy). I'm not begging anyone to help fund this, but it would be nice to split this 3-4 ways and I thought it would be good for those individuals who do want to jump aboard as we will all be splitting the costs for a great coder. If no one is interested, I'll be hiring him anyways and keeping it to myself. Selfish? Perhaps, but I'm the one putting up all the money for it and everyone is begging for a better solution but don't or can't put any money into it. My money, my choice. If I'm the only one with this, it gives my site a much more unique feel to it, which is a big plus for any big board.

We can't have it all from the start unless you are the great coder and designer for your site. If you are neither, then you need to use your money to get what you need, or utilize what is already free. If you have a small site, Jaxel's mod works alright and I'm sure the widget portal does too. I'm looking for something that will be coded properly and have the features that I need specifically tailored to my site. If you can't afford to split it evenly, then I'm likely not interested. You are begging, I am choosing. I just made the post to give a few people the opportunity to jump aboard. Think of it more as a courtesy.

Who said anything about free? A courtesy? I see it as a slight against the community who has been begging for a decent CMS for over a year (3 of your 4 options are not useable, the one that is sucks, and we're all aware of it) People who can fund it denied because they are not in the 1%. No one is asking for anything free. We're asking to be a part of a project, we could all benefit from, that you see so fit to keep from everyone else. You are not choosing...you are dictating.

Rich people who think they own everyone else. This is what this nation has come to. The rich own it all, the plebeians get nothing. Then we went ahead and voted Obama back in...we're going all the way. We're taking America out. Thanks for being a part of the fall of the American dream.

Do us all favor. Keep your CMS. Someone will put up a pool where everyone can contribute and make a CMS without the rich. It's just sickening.

For the people who don't understand, a common way of getting an addon developed is splitting costs between people who can afford, or are willing to invest into the initial development of an add-on. Whether it is kept private, or goes public is up to the investors and the developer (Most developers choose to keep resale rights). To prevent having to shoehorn a bunch of features that are specific to every investor, most developers prefer larger investments from less people.

Top Bottom