Not planned Poor handling of the Like / Dislike option.

XenBurger

I just finally upgraded to 2.0 and subsequently 2.2

Dislike should not be hidden inside the "Sprite" section. Both should be visible on front end as a default feature - with the option to enable or disable one or both.

Putting it into the sprite area hides the "Dislike" option from view. Only "Like" is then visible, and unless someone happens to hover or click on "Like" they will never know "Dislike" is there.

More importantly, everyone is going to think we downgraded the forums because both were visible before. The like/dislike addon knew that both should be visible and designed it that way. Why didn't the XF devs? @Chris D

There is a very important role for the "Dislike" option on my (health) forums as bad information should be labeled as such. I don't want to have to pay someone to customize my forums just to accomplish this.

We should not assume users will "find" it either. That is going to be the standard Dev response I am anticipating.

Please fix this illogical usability choice, and add an option to display both in-line, on the front end. Both on mobile and desktop.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The decision was very much intentional.

We fundamentally disagree that negative reactions should be used because they can at times create a hostile atmosphere with people choosing to use them inappropriately or simply against people they don't like.

The reaction system is designed to be extended with whatever reactions you want using whichever graphics you like. If you need it for your forum, feel free to add it to your own forum, but it's not something we're going to be shipping the software with by default.

The tools are there.

As for the way that we "hide" the other reactions aside from "Like". If anyone has ever used any software that has any form of reactions system including other forum software or websites such as Facebook then the concept of hovering/holding over the "Like" button should be familiar to them.

There may be add-ons which have different display formats for multiple reactions but we currently don't have any plans to change our approach.

Last edited:
You can utilize the new downvote option in Q&A as both arrows will be present. So if this works for you, you could convert those discussion forums to Q&A, and they can react as well.

We fundamentally disagree that negative reactions should be used because they can at times create a hostile atmosphere with people choosing to use them inappropriately or simply against people they don't like.
This. I have made sure we have no real negative reactions. Even Angry made me nervous but I kept it and so far, it has only been used appropriately, i.e. anger at content, not users. I am quite pleased with the reaction system and its customizability.

I always disabled that back in the vBulletin days too. All the negative rep or dislike features do is start forum wars in retribution - with no redeeming features.

Top Bottom