XF 1.4 Poll Improvements

Welcome to the first Have You Seen for XenForo 1.4. We'll be posting plenty more of these over the coming weeks so keep checking back for more.

First up, we're going to cover the wide variety of improvements we've made to the poll system.

New Poll Options
ss-2014-07-09_11-37-32.webp

There are a number of new options and controls when you create a new poll:
  1. Polls are no longer limited to one or multiple choices. The creator can now control exactly how many responses a user can select. If they select the maximum amount, the other options will automatically disable to indicate this.
  2. Voters can now change their votes, if the option is selected. This is useful to handle cases where people make mistakes, a response is missing, or if people just change their mind.
  3. Poll results can be limited to only be viewed by people that have voted. This can help to limit gaming of polls or "groupthink".
The options surrounding public votes and poll closing remain as is.

Editing a Poll
These new options spill over into the existing system for editing a poll, but there are some important changes.
ss-2014-07-09_11-48-20.webp

First, a poll can be added directly to an existing thread. This can be done by the thread creator or a moderator.

The thread creator can also edit an existing poll with some limits. If there are no votes in the poll, they have full access to edit everything about it or to simply remove it. However, if there are votes on the poll, some options remain editable and new responses can be added; the question and existing responses cannot be changed. Moderator poll editing remains roughly unchanged.

Moderators always have the option to entirely remove a poll. Additionally, they can also reset all votes in a poll without changing any other options.

Finally, if you merge a thread with a poll into a "basic" thread (just a simple discussion), the poll will be maintained.

Control Polls per Forum
ss-2014-07-09_11-54-29.webp

Each forum now has a control over whether polls can be created in the forum. As noted in the screenshot, polls will be maintained when moved (or merged) into the forum.

That's all for today. Check back for more later. :)

Just a reminder: Please do not post suggestions in this thread (even if you feel they are related). Use the dedicated suggestion forum so they can be tracked; suggestions made in this thread are unlikely to be implemented.

If a thread has already a poll, can we add another one without deleting the existing one?

Also how likely are polls going to be tied to an individual post rather than a thread in the future?

No, you can only have one poll per thread.

If you would like to see polls as posts, there is an open suggestion you should toss your support for. :)

To conclude, I would just add this button to the thread_create template:

upload_2014-7-9_16-37-6-png.77500

When you click on this button, the above screen is displayed.

Quick suggestion regarding this HYS (nothing new, nothing unrelated): please do this by default.

Way more cleaner.

You are totally right. There has been a suggestion for this since 4 years (the start of XF). Please add your likes and feedback there: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/poll-as-collapsed-option.312/

Only a small question ... Does "Allow the results to be viewed without voting" mean only during the poll (if poll ends at a specified time) or all time? The question for me is: If a poll ends in two weeks and I'm not able to vote - will I be able to see the result after the time ends or not?

Very nice. The only two things missing with polls IMO is the ability to display a user name when they vote. And set a limit for poll option. So 1 poll question could have 3 categories but you only can have 1 person on cat 1, 4 people on cat 2. etc.

It would help in signup for events.

missed opportunity imo......i surely think that when people vote they should have the possibility to add some text why they voted for this particular reason. Next i think other people can add comments to that.....so you have an open discussion on the poll subject.

Yes....they can...true....but i just suggest they can write a line of text in the poll after voting instead of creating a post.

Top Bottom