Implemented Please put the Quote button back as a stand alone button in the editor toolbar

AndyB

Quoting text is a very often and important function in communicating on a forum. Placing the quote button under a drop down was a bad idea IMHO. Please put the Quote button back as a stand alone button which can be easily seen and clicked.

Thank you.

Please Like this post if you want to see this changed!

Last edited:
Upvote 64
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Quoting text is a very often and important function in communicating on a forum. Placing the quote button under a drop down was a bad idea IMHO. Please put the Quote button back as a stand alone button which can be easily seen and clicked.

Thank you.

If you're quoting someone you surely almost always hit the quote button next to a post. Inserting the quote bbcode without the quoted content is something that I assume happens very rarely...

If you're quoting someone you surely almost always hit the quote button next to a post. Inserting the quote bbcode without the quoted content is something that I assume happens very rarely...

Not when quoting articles, though, and similar things. Although I personally think it's fine as is.

No it happens often and is a very important way of identifying quoted text from the authors own words.

For example if text from a Wikipedia article is being added to a message, it is very important to use the Quote button and also to show the source link.

Example:

Quotations are used for a variety of reasons: to illuminate the meaning or to support the arguments of the work in which it is being quoted, to provide direct information about the work being quoted (whether in order to discuss it, positively or negatively), to pay homage to the original work or author, to make the user of the quotation seem well-read, and/or to comply with copyright law. Quotations are also commonly printed as a means of inspiration and to invoke philosophical thoughts from the reader.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation

This is something I said to someone the other day - how I wish the Quote button still had its own place on the editor instead of in the dropdown. On one site, I use the quote button a lot - I've now resorted to manually typing in the BBCode because I'm sick of tracking down the dropdown containing it along with spoiler, code etc.

I understand what you mean but I'd disagree with "often". I'd say its no more common than spoiler, code, etc.

Perhaps "often" is the wrong word to use.

The problem is the average forum user will not find the hidden Quote button and resort to other methods of highlighting quoted text. They resort to using bold, italics or using the quote character, all these make the post very difficult to read. In addition when the Quote button is not used, when a post is replied to the quoted text becomes part of the quote in the new post and it becomes very confusing what has been quoted and what is the authors own words.

This is something I said to someone the other day - how I wish the Quote button still had its own place on the editor instead of in the dropdown. On one site, I use the quote button a lot - I've now resorted to manually typing in the BBCode because I'm sick of tracking down the dropdown containing it along with spoiler, code etc.

Don't forget to Like the first post so the XenForo team can identify this issue as important.

The problem is that the average forum user will not find the hidden Quote button and resort to other methods of highlighting quoted text. They resort to using bold, italics or using the quote character, all these make the post very difficult to read. In addition when the Quote button is not used, when a post is replied to the quoted text becomes part of the quote in the new post and it becomes very confusing what has been quoted and what is the authors own words.
I think this is a good point as well. The people here on xf are forum admins, for the most part we have a good idea how to use most aspects of the software. For 90% of forum admins here, their users are not admins in their own right. The quote button isn't logically placed anymore. I tested it out on two non-tech savvy people. I asked them to quote a post. . . . they took ten minutes trying to find the quote button because it's not visible as a speech bubble (or other indicator). They didn't think to look inside the "insert" button (which until you mouse over it doesn't really indicate Insert anyway - it looks more like a wraparound option but that's another story entirely). Long story short, they ended up copying and pasting what they were quoting and typing in bold above it QUOTE:-

I agree but it was done due to width constraints on devices with narrow screens.
Bah.. mobile styles.... let's just pretend they don't exist - they're more annoying than anything else ;)

Seriously though... I'm less likely to use Undo/Redo and Use BB Code Editor buttons, than I am to use the ones in the Insert button..... I vote for lumping those ones together and freeing the others.

Free Quote and Code buttons, I say! :D

I am for hiding Text Color, Font Size and Font Family under one button, maybe put Underline there to as I think it shouldn't be used as it can be mistaken for a link.
Outdent and Indent could be hidden aswell maybe under Alignment. I think Quote, Code and Strike-through should be more visible than the earlier mentioned buttons.

The problem is the average forum user will not find the hidden Quote button and resort to other methods of highlighting quoted text. They resort to using bold, italics or using the quote character, all these make the post very difficult to read. In addition when the Quote button is not used, when a post is replied to the quoted text becomes part of the quote in the new post and it becomes very confusing what has been quoted and what is the authors own words.

You can easily rectify that by creating a thread and showing how so and so features work. :)

I agree but it was done due to width constraints on devices with narrow screens.
That can be easily overcome, though.

I recently released this add-on:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/restore-strikethrough-in-editor.2999/

It re-adds strikethrough to the main editor toolbar, but it also uses media queries to either show or hide the button vs the option in the drop down based on view width.

That could be a very simple tactic to show more by default and push more into the drop down when screen real estate is less.

Top Bottom