Playstation 4 Discussion

Not really, the rumored specs are nothing major to write home about. Only thing interesting would be that they will be going for a stock CPU, which means they will have to port or rewrite their firmware.

Wii U sold fewer than 60,000 units in the US last month
by Mark Tyson on 18 February 2013, 11:00

The Wii U appears to have suffered a spectacular post-Christmas sales slump, in the US at least. Data from market analysts at the NPD Group estimate that only 57,000 Wii U consoles were sold throughout the whole of the 50 states during January.

The figures, described as “shockingly low” by Yahoo gaming news reporters, are under half the number expected by analysts, even though Nintendo slashed Wii U sales forecasts right at the end of January. In addition January 2013 was a long month, as it contained a fiscal leap week, so numbers are even worse that they initially appear.

To put the Wii U sales in perspective we can look back at the Wii’s launch in 2007. In the second month following the Wii’s launch it sold 436,000 units. Also the ageing Microsoft Xbox 360 sold 281,000 units during January 2013 in the US, almost five times as many as the new Wii U.

Are these latest sales figures a warning sign for Sony and Microsoft, or do they show that there is a good opportunity for a true next-gen console? What can Nintendo do now?

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/51821-wii-u-sold-fewer-60000-units-us-last-month/

--
So do people think the REALLY bad Wii U sales will carry over to the PS4 ?

Are these latest sales figures a warning sign for Sony and Microsoft, or do they show that there is a good opportunity for a true next-gen console? What can Nintendo do now?

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/51821-wii-u-sold-fewer-60000-units-us-last-month/

--

I don't think itwill. A badly made launch by nintendo, and tbh not very good games I would expect that to help sony not go against them. Nintendo unfortunately imo did this themselves, you can't expect to have the same success they had with the wii if the innovation isn't there which at the time the wii most certainly did imo.

I'm very excited about the upcoming PS4, hopefully a great success!

Ps. Please don't pollute this thread with Wii U, Digital Doctor. This is a thread about Playstation 4. Thanks :)

It depends on whether or not they do disable the usage of second hand games, and how they handle backwards compatibility.

The fact that the PS3 already cannot play PSX or PS2 games makes it unlikely that backwards compatibility will exist on the console, and more likely they'll push PSN sales. Unless the PSN titles are cheap, I'm not going to pay for what I already own, and could just play on my comp.

If it's a more powerful version of the developer systems, it's going to be pretty fast. If they put it the next generation AMD APU, that alone could come close or exceed 1 TFLOPS. If they make a custom APU with a more powerful GPU... X86 should make it easier on developers since it's the same on PCs.

im more interested in the next xbox, my ps3 ended up being no more than a blu ray player, i much preferred the 360 for games

I'd love for the PS4 to be much better as a browser. I could see working with a bluetooth keyboard and having email notices pop up while watching Netflix, streaming music, etc. — more of a total home entertainment device.

--

LMAO the Wii U isn't even up to par with what the new PS4 and xbox will be. It took this long for them to get a console out the door that has the same graphics and capabilities of the 360 and PS3, which is far to late.

I read two good essays about the next-gen consoles today. The first is from Ben Kuchera at PAR:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...-ps4-and-next-xbox-need-flexibility-not-power

The second is actually a response of sorts from Chris Kohler at Wired:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/the-minecraft-test/

I agree with both of them. The "winner" of the current console cycle was determined by who provided the best service (XBL), not who had the best hardware. This next generation, the service aspect is going to make or break them. And if this is for real, then the next gen consoles may all end up DOA.

^ Explains why the Wii U is failing. People want more than just good hardware now. Nintendo is so far behind in the online space it's not even funny. It's almost as if they have learned almost nothing from the Wii. Should have enlisted outside help. EA was going to partner with them initially but talks fell through, no one knows why.

But yeah, social, online and connectivity with the living room is going to be huge for these new consoles.

I just bought Ni no Kuni on PSN, and it spent about 10 - 13 hours to download (I think it averaged at around 600 kb/s download speed, calculated). On Steam I usually average at 2mb/s (I think it is capped at 2, cause it usually never goes above). If they can't get digital content right on these ecosystems, both in terms of pricing and download speeds, they will fail miserably. I think that will be as much of an importance for the next generation, especially seeing the surge in indie games lately. I once heard a rumored cost of putting a game on PSN, and the cost of patching said game, and it wasn't anywhere near what a small indie team could ever afford.

I don't know why it caps at 2, but I haven't really looked in to it. I think my modem is about to crap out as well, but I am too lazy to do anything about it....

I also did a speed test a week or two ago, where I had almost double speed up compared to down (think it was 20 something mb/s up, 12 something down).

That's seriously not right... o_O

There may also be a software setting in Steam... I know it asks you at some point what type of connection you have. I don't know if that rate limits you based on that response.

I always set it to LAN now I'm on 60mbps.

It might be that you are connected to a different server than I am. If I remember right, Steam choose the network based on where you are. I can't really remember what I set my connection to, all I know is that I can still use my internet while steam downloads at 2mb/s, and I am not that impatient while downloading, so I think 2 is a nice compromise.

I have been thinking about complaining to my ISP about my connection, cause it seems so shoddy at times lately, but I honestly think it is the router / modem crapping out, and I am too lazy to really do anything about it....

It can't hurt to complain. We were having speed problems with our cable modem service. The service guy checks our signal strength, says it's super low. Spends half a day running new cable and reterminating every wire in the house. Signal strength is still low. Goes out to the pole (why not start here... really?) and it's low there too. Goes down to the end of the neighborhood, and it sucked there. Bottom line, there was a bad switch or something WAY downstream that was causing all the problems. It took a month or two to get the parts and get it all patched up, but the problem was affecting several neighborhoods, we were just the only ones to complain.

My neighbor thought his connection sucked because he was downloading too many movies and was being throttled. :LOL:

Top Bottom