Playstation 4 Discussion

It can't hurt to complain. We were having speed problems with our cable modem service. The service guy checks our signal strength, says it's super low. Spends half a day running new cable and reterminating every wire in the house. Signal strength is still low. Goes out to the pole (why not start here... really?) and it's low there too. Goes down to the end of the neighborhood, and it sucked there. Bottom line, there was a bad switch or something WAY downstream that was causing all the problems. It took a month or two to get the parts and get it all patched up, but the problem was affecting several neighborhoods, we were just the only ones to complain.

My neighbor thought his connection sucked because he was downloading too many movies and was being throttled. :LOL:
Find out what router requirements are required to get your own, buy a decent one, and you'll notice a huge improvement in the quality.

Most ISP issued routers throttle your connection, so you'll never actually get your full speed (At least in the US).

Routers don't determine your internet speeds, the cable modem does. The ISP can set it remotely.

ISPs throttle whichever modem you use - so buying your own won't increase the speeds.
Back in the day, I hacked a DOCSIS modem and installed firmware that uncapped the speeds. So did a friend in New York.
We were both caught because they saw the crazy fast traffic. My ISP did nothing as long as I used their modem again, but his made him pay hundreds of dollars in extra bandwidth.

Buying your own modem is expensive and you won't gain anything. Often your ISP will detect the modem change and block your IP.

Routers don't determine your internet speeds, the cable modem does. The ISP can set it remotely.

ISPs throttle whichever modem you use - so buying your own won't increase the speeds.
Back in the day, I hacked a DOCSIS modem and installed firmware that uncapped the speeds. So did a friend in New York.
We were both caught because they saw the crazy fast traffic. My ISP did nothing as long as I used their modem again, but his made him pay hundreds of dollars in extra bandwidth.

Buying your own modem is expensive and you won't gain anything. Often your ISP will detect the modem change and block your IP.
I prefer owning my own modem. I often always had problems with whatever leased modem they gave me (always) and got tired of being double billed on their hardware.

DOCSIS 3 modem cost me about $75 and ever since than I've saved double that.

Routers issued by ISP's are two-in-one, and the firmware does often limit how much you can upload and download.

Most ISP's publish guides for buying your own router/modem combo, however they warn that they cannot help with remote diagnostics (Which is a farce, every issue I've ever had is a wiring issue).

I'm a PlayStation guy, so of course I'm excited about this supposed "reveal"! (y)

Hopefully this reveal is something biiiiggggg.......

Wow a thread about the PS4 that turns into a Wii U discussion, then about download speeds, next crappy modems, and then back to the PS4. For a second there I though I was on my own forum where threads are off topic by the first post. :ROFLMAO:

Would suck if I can't play Uncharted 3 on it. I can't even play it on my PS3 because it doesn't play discs anymore and they haven't released a downloadable version of it yet.

I'm not much of a gamer. If Sony restricts re-sale/transfer of purchased games I doubt that it will fly. I use a software application that has to be authorized via the internet each time it is used, it is absolutely worthless if I don't have a connection. When they take the personal out of computer, it will be a sad day.

Jeff

Is a console with proprietary games really needed anymore? Why not a pc or linux box with options to connect to various distributors like steam?

Is a console with proprietary games really needed anymore? Why not a pc or linux box with options to connect to various distributors like steam?
Because many games aren't made for PC (Which sucks), or the they're badly ported (Which sucks more).

I mostly just deal with PC games though ;).

I'm not much of a gamer. If Sony restricts re-sale/transfer of purchased games I doubt that it will fly. I use a software application that has to be authorized via the internet each time it is used, it is absolutely worthless if I don't have a connection. When they take the personal out of computer, it will be a sad day.
We're talking about two completely different beasts.... Two animals....
Would suck if I can't play Uncharted 3 on it. I can't even play it on my PS3 because it doesn't play discs anymore and they haven't released a downloadable version of it yet.
Stop spreading false news, man! The PS3 games you have now will be playable at some point on PS4. Gaikai's acquisition was meant to solve this Backward Compatibility problem. Between PS3, and PS4, the CPU/Processors, and GPU's are vastly different. For example, the Cell was a joint development of Toshiba and IBM, PS3's GPU's were designed by Nividia, while the PS4's CPU/GPU is designed by... AMD.

From what I've heard, I like it so far. The only thing I don't like is the controller. I feel it looks terrible. BUT if it handles well and I don't hand cramps, then I'm fine with it. I play in the dark a lot lol.

Stop spreading false news, man! The PS3 games you have now will be playable at some point on PS4. Gaikai's acquisition was meant to solve this Backward Compatibility problem. Between PS3, and PS4, the CPU/Processors, and GPU's are vastly different. For example, the Cell was a joint development of Toshiba and IBM, PS3's GPU's were designed by Nividia, while the PS4's CPU/GPU is designed by... AMD.
Well they said at some point you would be able to play those games, but they did not confirm with discs or downloads you already have acquired. Or did they? Hardware out the door will say if it is or is not and Sony guys said it won't be able to play them... so i'll have to buy all my ps3 games again?
Like with the ps3 fat and slim. With my PS3 fat I can play all my old games. With the slim I had to download them from the ps store :(

How is he spreading false news? He means about his physical disc.

The PS4 is not backwards compatible, meaning any games you currently own will need to be re-purchased unless they owner past purchases that were non-digital (God knows they better honor digital purchases).

From what I've heard, I like it so far. The only thing I don't like is the controller. I feel it looks terrible. BUT if it handles well and I don't hand cramps, then I'm fine with it. I play in the dark a lot lol.

Well they said at some point you would be able to play those games, but they did not confirm with discs or downloads you already have acquired. Or did they? Hardware out the door will say if it is or is not and Sony guys said it won't be able to play them... so i'll have to buy all my ps3 games again?
Like with the ps3 fat and slim. With my PS3 fat I can play all my old games. With the slim I had to download them from the ps store :(

The hardware seems to be quite impressive, I'll give it that. The fact that they went with 8GB of GDDR5 was a shocker though as until now consoles had at most ~512MB (XBOX 360 is 512 iirc, and the PS3 is 256 XDR and 256 GDDR3).

From what I've seen, the controller should be a bit more ergonomic, but you should keep in your mind that supplied controllers are made to be made for smaller/average hands so depending on your hand size you might want to look into a custom one.

The DualShock 4 looks really interesting. But I think it was rather dumb on Sony's part to not actually show off the console or the price. It was as if they revealed... The PS4 is going to be revealed at a later date.

The hardware seems to be quite impressive, I'll give it that. The fact that they went with 8GB of GDDR5 was a shocker though as until now consoles had at most ~512MB (XBOX 360 is 512 iirc, and the PS3 is 256 XDR and 256 GDDR3).

From what I've seen, the controller should be a bit more ergonomic, but you should keep in your mind that supplied controllers are made to be made for smaller/average hands so depending on your hand size you might want to look into a custom one.
Yeah, I've got larger hands. Off the bat R2 and L2 trigger buttons look smaller than the PS3's controller, so I will likely be seeking a 3rd party controller or hoping that a someone develops trigger caps.

It's not a public downside to the system in any way. Just for me it is haha. I know about the average hand size thing and I stare at my large hands every day and curse genetics. :P

The DualShock 4 looks really interesting. But I think it was rather dumb on Sony's part to not actually show off the console or the price. It was as if they revealed... The PS4 is going to be revealed at a later date.
I'm pretty sure they're just waiting for E3, so they have a crowd around them.

...unless they owner past purchases that were non-digital (God knows they better honor digital purchases).
They're not. Basically, because the PS4 doesn't have a Cell processor (probably due to price concerns), they can't run any PS3 software that isn't specifically emulated/cloud streamed, regardless of source. Both will require you to buy again - assuming they offer the game on the PS4 PSN. :(

EDIT: Updated link to a better article.

Top Bottom