Playstation 4 Discussion

They're not. Basically, because the PS4 doesn't have a Cell processor (probably due to price concerns), they can't run any PS3 software that isn't specifically emulated/cloud streamed, regardless of source. Both will require you to buy again - assuming they offer the game on the PS4 PSN. :(

EDIT: Updated link to a better article.
Its a good thing they dropped the Cell, and went for a standard architecture. It is also rumored that the PS4 will support DirectX 11, both of which are good moves, cause it makes it easier to develop for it. Its a huge blow on the digital content part though, it basically means that Sony still dont understand digital distribution, and it will be just as crappy on the PS4...

I'm not a big fan of consoles, hardly play games on consoles but the ps4 does look like it'll be something special. I'm tempted and will no doubt make the purchase come release, the driving game and the whole concept when showcased really does grab you into the whole experience. Waiting... :D

They're not. Basically, because the PS4 doesn't have a Cell processor (probably due to price concerns), they can't run any PS3 software that isn't specifically emulated/cloud streamed, regardless of source. Both will require you to buy again - assuming they offer the game on the PS4 PSN. :(

EDIT: Updated link to a better article.
Hope they enjoy bankruptcy, because they just alienated a large portion of their customer base who actually did purchase on PSN.

Hope they enjoy bankruptcy, because they just alienated a large portion of their customer base who actually did purchase on PSN.
Why? Those same people already own the PS3, they just need to hook up a new device to their home rig. I've owned every console (real console, ie Sony/MS/Atari/Sega) since the Atari 2600 and haven't changed my habits. I know I will buy a PS4 and the new XBox regardless of backwards compatibility. My existing console will take care of that.

I didn't buy a PS3 because originally of all the bugs they were having. By the time they finally resolved those issues, they removed the power to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games. Which was a shame because the original version I was interested in.

PS4 I would suspect would follow PS3 and deny this as well, but also deny ps3 games. Add in the fact that they're likely to restrict re-sold games.... From the patents they've applied.....

It's to bad. Sony had a good thing originally, but somewhere along the line they drop the ball and got greedy.

I didn't buy a PS3 because originally of all the bugs they were having. By the time they finally resolved those issues, they removed the power to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games. Which was a shame because the original version I was interested in.

PS4 I would suspect would follow PS3 and deny this as well, but also deny ps3 games. Add in the fact that they're likely to restrict re-sold games.... From the patents they've applied.....

It's to bad. Sony had a good thing originally, but somewhere along the line they drop the ball and got greedy.
Noone would be foolish enough to blacklist the pre-owned market. It simply is too large.

Trust me Mr Anonymous, they will not do it.
They don't appear to have any plans to, but believe me - if they wanted to, they would. If not for how badly the PSP Go (remember that?) burned them, I imagine they would have gone ahead and done it for the PS4.

They don't appear to have any plans to, but believe me - if they wanted to, they would. If not for how badly the PSP Go (remember that?) burned them, I imagine they would have gone ahead and done it for the PS4.
Total bollox. The die hard fans will move across regardless.

Total bollox. The die hard fans will move across regardless.
I never said they wouldn't. :p I'm just pointing out that if Sony legitimately thought they could make more money by cutting off the pre-owned market, they probably would. As it happens, we've neatly proven to them (via the PSP Go) that it's not a large enough reward for the risk that they'd have to take.

I never said they wouldn't. :p I'm just pointing out that if Sony legitimately thought they could make more money by cutting off the pre-owned market, they probably would. As it happens, we've neatly proven to them (via the PSP Go) that it's not a large enough reward for the risk that they'd have to take.
They have stated that the pre-owned market is safe.

They have stated that the pre-owned market is safe.
Yes, I know that:
As it happens, we've neatly proven to them (via the PSP Go) that it's not a large enough reward for the risk that they'd have to take.

It's also written in the article I linked a page back, which I read before posting. I'm not saying "They're going to ruin the used-game market", I'm saying that if they felt it to be worth it, they could.

I have to question why they own the patent for it then. Large companies don't bother to patent technology they have zero plans to ever use.....
Tell you what, bite me when Sony use that patent as it will be the death of them. Maybe they patented it to protect the "market". Time will tell.

How is he spreading false news? He means about his physical disc.
Yeah, and I said there's a point behind Gaikai's acquisition. The whole point of it is to solve the backward compatibiltiy problem for PS4. Like I, and Teapot said: PS3 and PS4 use different architectures.

Gaikai will possibly allow for streaming of your games from your disc, much like the same way that [with OnLive] even though your computer doesn't meet the requirements of the actual PC game, OnLive streams the game to you regardless. In fact, the graphics card that powers the game is being "streamed" to you on top of the game being streamed to you. Gaikai in the stage it was in before the actual company was acquired, behaved almost the same way.

All you had to do was meet the OnLive/Gaikai general minimum specs, let them worry about the rest.

The only difference between the two of them is that with your PC, you use the OnLive client to stream the games. Whereas, with Gaikai, all you'd need is something like Flash or JavaScript, to be able to stream from your browser or Facebook [when you log in].
The PS4 is not backwards compatible, meaning any games you currently own will need to be re-purchased unless they owner past purchases that were non-digital (God knows they better honor digital purchases).
That's true for PSX/PS2 and maybe PS3. Though, your PSN purchases on PS3 won't work with PS4.

What is your point with different architecture? The PS1 - PS2 had different architecture from the PS3, yet they managed to have backwards compatibility, through emulation. Besides, what people are really pissed about is the fact that any title they have bought on the PS Store they have to rebuy on the PS4, Sony will not honor those purchases, and all your discs are basically useless. Why even bother buying games on the store, when any hardware change might render your game useless?

Besides, streaming games have been available for a long time, but it is a reason why it never took off. It just isn't as good, and judging from the online experience on Sony networks, I doubt it will be any good there either (Store is dead slow and downloads speeds are horrible). Besides, how many times are you willing to buy the same game? And also, why on earth should you bother buying any game for the PS3 now?

What is your point with different architecture? The PS1 - PS2 had different architecture from the PS3, yet they managed to have backwards compatibility, through emulation.
Back then, it was easy to create an emulator for PSX on PS2, hence why it was readily available elsewhere. Hell, there was an actual retail emulator for PSX with Bleem. It was all ready by the time PS2 was released, so all Sony had to do was modify one emulator they felt ran the PSX games like a butter. It has been increasingly hard to develop new emluators for future consoles such as PS2, and PS3. From my worldview, at the moment of this writing, I had not heard of a popular emulator making the rounds. Which tells me Sony is not willing to pay hundreds of thousands just for emulation. PS3 as it was before Sony helped developers out with SDK manuals, and support, was hard to develop for by itself... What makes you think it's easy to emulate a PS3 title? Let alone PS2...? You ever wonder why Sony opted for BC through chip in the first place? The first 60GB model and beyond? It's because it would take years, and a lot of cash to make emulation a reality. That chip was a costly shortcut.

Try emulating every single one of the 2,000+ PS2 games, and then come back here. :whistle:
Besides, what people are really pissed about is the fact that any title they have bought on the PS Store they have to rebuy on the PS4, Sony will not honor those purchases, and all your discs are basically useless. Why even bother buying games on the store, when any hardware change might render your game useless.
Once again, the systems have different architectures. The PSN games you bought with your PS3 was coded to be played on PS3. You can't just put the pre-existing PS Store on PS4, and expect PS3 games to play flawlessly on PS4, it's the same reason why you don't play a game on PC that was designed for ATI Radeon graphics cards, when you have a Nividia GeForce card in your motherboard. It will create problems. It's common knowledge. Developers have to code the game to work with the cards it's intention of reaching... If they want to reach Nividia cards, it will. If it wants to reach ATI cards... It will.

Back then, it was easy to create an emulator for PSX on PS2, hence why it was readily available elsewhere. Hell, there was an actual retail emulator for PSX with Bleem. It was all ready by the time PS2 was released, so all Sony had to do was modify one emulator they felt ran the PSX games like a butter. It has been increasingly hard to develop new emluators for future consoles such as PS2, and PS3. From my worldview, at the moment of this writing, I had not heard of a popular emulator making the rounds. Which tells me Sony is not willing to pay hundreds of thousands just for emulation. PS3 as it was before Sony helped developers out with SDK manuals, and support, was hard to develop for by itself... What makes you think it's easy to emulate a PS3 title? Let alone PS2...? You ever wonder why Sony opted for BC through chip in the first place? The first 60GB model and beyond? It's because it would take years, and a lot of cash to make emulation a reality. That chip was a costly shortcut.

Try emulating every single one of the 2,000+ PS2 games, and then come back here. :whistle:

Once again, the systems have different architectures. The PSN games you bought with your PS3 was coded to be played on PS3. You can't just put the pre-existing PS Store on PS4, and expect PS3 games to play flawlessly on PS4, it's the same reason why you don't play a game on PC that was designed for ATI Radeon graphics cards, when you have a Nividia GeForce card in your motherboard. It will create problems. It's common knowledge. Developers have to code the game to work with the cards it's intention of reaching... If they want to reach Nividia cards, it will. If it wants to reach ATI cards... It will.
The emotion engine was the actual processor from the PS2, and only the US version had this chip. They did decide to leave this out to cut down production costs of the console, and then decided to maintain BC through emulation, until they decided to drop that as well. Besides this time they are going from PPC to x86, where there are several excellent porting tools available, which means that developers can port their games with minimal effort and sell them as new, even though you have purchased them before. To make matters worse, Sony has announced their plans to seamlessly port games to the PS4, but have no intention of honoring purchases made on the current iteration of PSN. Its like they are saying "we know you want to play the games you currently own on the next console for us, and you can, if you buy it again". This is actually the most disturbing part of the entire BC issue.

You want a PS2 emulator? http://pcsx2.net, open source and everything, up for the grabbing. Sony can use it on the PS4, assuming they follow the terms of GPL, i.e. making any improvement available back to the community. They don't even have to pay for it, they just have to make it run on the PS4....

Your ATi vs nVidia comparison is way off, by the way. Its not like you can't play Borderlands 2 on a PC with an ATi card. Heck, with small hacks you can even use it with Phys X features. You can experience some issues with different cards on PC, usually fixed with patches if the developers are serious, ignored if they are just milking the title.

Top Bottom