Phrase system/translation

Crowd Sourcing Languages

XenForo puts up a page that contains a list of languages, perhaps you can create your own. From there you can see every phrase in the system, or perhaps a subset, depends. You may submit your translation for each phrase. Others may do the same, each translation is kept. Users may vote for which phrase translation is the preferred version.

At the end of the day, the users of the language in question end up generating the language pack in a distributed manner.

At least, I believe is what will happen here.

It basically means that we all as users can create a central list of translations for each language... So xenForo themselves do not have to do all the translations and you do not have to do it manually on your site... It is all crowd sourced.

Not only is it fully phrased, we have developed a crowd-sourcing translation system built on top of the XenForo framework, so that you all can help us to produce non-English versions in record time.

We will deploy the translator on XenForo.com hopefully in the next few days.
Really liking this!
Will there be some sort of quality testing/administration with languages? For example, will there be one or more people who will "oversee" the translation processes?

One of the things I love about vB is the fact that they offer a very good professional German translation of the software. From frontend to backend to errors.

And I've made some less than great experiences with non-official translations especially at IP.Board (one reason why I didn't move my vB forums there).

There is a German saying that goes a little something like this:
Too many cooks spoil the broth. (Translated loosely)

If there will be no officially checked translation then I think the solution described by Kier is the best way to go.

There is a German saying that goes a little something like this:
Too many cooks spoil the broth. (Translated loosely)
We have this in English, too~ "Too many cooks spoil the stew". Now I know where we got it from, haha.

I am definitely looking forward to XF's language capabilities. I was thinking a wiki style system would be great, but this voting system will be even better!
Glad to see the future is looking brighter every time here :)

what can i say ... obviously the professional translations are the better choice for all (XF itself and customers/users), but i think that without the hobbyist translations you can't develop the xf project fast ... cause i don't think that there are many people in the 'business' that want to pay what they believe to be free ... so what's the solution?
No doubt professional translations could be a selling point for XenForo. I think it'd should be part of the product. There are not that many widely-used languages in the world. Maybe 10 or so.

There is a UK based company that offers professional software translations to many languages. XenForo should probably contact them and get a quote to see how much it would cost them.
http://www.todaytranslations.com

Volunteers who are working with the software could provide a professional translation too.

Often it's better to have a translation made by these volunteers because companies may not have enough background knowledge.

Volunteers who are working with the software could provide a professional translation too.
Depends on personalities and circumstances. For example, vBulletin's Russian pack is very well translated by one of the users (zCarot), but Dutch translation sucked till professional translation was made available. Why take chances?

XenForo is aiming to be a top-notch forum software and differentiate itself from the rest crowd by offering a high-quality product. Language packs should be an important part of such a drive. Imagine XenForo with a sloppy translation. Bad user experience guaranteed!!

Depends on personalities and circumstances. For example, vBulletin's Russian pack is very well translated by one of the users (zCarot), but Dutch translation sucked till professional translation was made available. Why take chances?

XenForo is aiming to be a top-notch forum software and differentiate itself from the rest crowd by offering a high-quality product. Language packs should be an important part of such a drive. Imagine XenForo with a sloppy translation. Bad user experience guaranteed!!

I understand your point and of course I see the need of professional translations. But the devs's language is english so their main concern could be the english speaking audience. A professional translation may be very expensive, so the won't pay much for translations (my guess).
But nevertheless we will see what they decide and how this phrasing system will look like.

A section of the forum could be made to discuss the best phrases to be used by the software. It would be a mess of languages in there, but it could work :) I'm very proud of my own vB translation, but could discuss phrases to be used with people who speak my language with no prob.

Top Bottom