• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 PHP 7.x changes...

digitalpoint

So I know the recommended thing to do is to upgrade to XF 1.5, but if that's not an immediate option (there's a whole lot of code that needs to be run through for that). If I were to upgrade my servers to PHP 7.1, am I going to be a sad boy with XF 1.4 if I've applied the PHP 7.x related changes to these methods already?

XenForo_Application::handleException()
XenForo_Application::getMemoryLimit()
XenForo_Input::_doClean()
XenForo_Helper_File::getTempDir()

Not looking for a definitive answer (easy enough to revert PHP if it doesn't work out), but is there anything else that anyone can think of off the top of their head before I do it?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I'd be surprised if any of your existing code that currently works on XF 1.4.x doesn't work for XF 1.5.x. I can't recall many (or any?) breaking changes and anecdotally I don't recall a great deal of talk of existing add-ons breaking down between upgrades either. Something to think about, at least.

Those areas you mentioned are certainly the initial ones that spring to mind, and I can't recall anything else specifically, so that should be ok.

digitalpoint

I'd be surprised if any of your existing code that currently works on XF 1.4.x doesn't work for XF 1.5.x. I can't recall many (or any?) breaking changes and anecdotally I don't recall a great deal of talk of existing add-ons breaking down between upgrades either. Something to think about, at least.

Those areas you mentioned are certainly the initial ones that spring to mind, and I can't recall anything else specifically, so that should be ok.
It's not so much compatibility of existing code between XF 1.4 and 1.5, it's more a process of gracefully removing and migrating the existing data to XF 1.5 when it has a feature standard that I had built for the old versions (two factor authentication for example).

Previous versions were a bigger issue (user notes, bulk thread management, forum watching, signature permissions, edit history/change log, user merging, email bounce handling, custom help pages, sitemaps, etc.) All stuff I had to build from scratch then "unbuild" gracefully. haha

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
There are also changes to do intval'ing in templates in certain scenarios to prevent notices, though they'll only be printed in debug mode anyway.

digitalpoint

Spent yesterday getting everything else on the servers updated (the biggest issue was migrating from geoip to geoip2 and PECL memcache to memcached... a lot of code had to be rewritten especially in my Wordpress stuff). But I think now we are running live with the right prerequisites for PHP 7.1. Might give it a whirl today.

IMG_4528.jpg

digitalpoint

I just started playing around with OpenSUSE Leap. Its different that is for sure. Coming from Ubuntu and Centos at least.
I really like it, but I've always been fond of opensuse (before leap) and suse enterprise. One thing I didn't like about enterprise is how long it would take to get new versions of stuff added to repos since it goes through like 3 years of testing for enterprise market. Leap basically is like a combo of the two. New versions of stuff combined with stuff taken from suse enterprise (for example infiniband hardware support which I need).