Implemented Permission system: View own threads only

Cezz

Just curious if xenForo's permissions already allow this or not... in vBulletin you can set the permissions of a forum so that only the owner can see and post in a thread...

This is really useful on sites were users can keep a sort of private journal (pregnancy sites etc)... or on sites where you can create a draft forum for things like reviews etc...

I have used this a number of times and hope that xenForo allows it... Infact I guess it does but I thought I would ask, and if possible also ask to see a screeny of the permissions screen... :)

Upvote 27
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ahhh think you mis-understood... I don't mean setting permisions on a per-usergroup or individual user basis.... I litratlly mean I can create a forum named "DRAFTS" and if say I post a thread in that forum... I and only I can see it (and maybe mods)... but you can also post there and everyone else and we will all only see our own posts...

This is not vital but it is well used on two of my sites and I would like to have it...

To be honest, to me that's something of a niche thing. I think it would be better as a mod. I know it comes standard in vB, but IMO it's not a must.

Not the hardest permission to add, but no we don't have that at this time.

Ok cool to know... maybe move this to a suggestion then as it would be useful in the sense I use it and I have seen some other sites use it for things like personal pregnancy journals etc also.

Thanks for quick answer Mike :D

Ahhh think you mis-understood... I don't mean setting permisions on a per-usergroup or individual user basis.... I litratlly mean I can create a forum named "DRAFTS" and if say I post a thread in that forum... I and only I can see it (and maybe mods)... but you can also post there and everyone else and we will all only see our own posts...
Gotcha.

Luckily phpBB has the ability to save draft threads/posts and PMs so everyone effectively already has their own private forum.

To be honest, to me that's something of a niche thing. I think it would be better as a mod. I know it comes standard in vB, but IMO it's not a must.

It is a permission setting though, its something that I have seen quite a few sites use personally... ok it isn't used much but just like the ability to set permissions on a forum that only the owner can post in their own thread (also used) this one permission would be useful to some and if it is easy to implement into the existing permission system and can be done so with very little added code it would be better built in...

My point here is to plugin to the the permission system via a mod and add this functionality would probably take a chunk of code... to add it as standard into the system I would suspect to take 1-2 lines if that depending on the rest of the code.

Gotcha.

Luckily phpBB has the ability to save draft threads/posts and PMs so everyone effectively already has their own private forum.

The other use I have seen for this is on pregnancy sites and a number of other sites where users can basically create their own thread in said forum and keep a private record there (like a private journal)... I am sure there are some other uses also just can't think of them... But the Draft feature in phpBB wouldn't fulfil this...

/me goes looking for an example...

I never thought of using a forum set up that way for a 'drafts' forum. Nice idea.

I use this feature in a 'talk to the admin' forum. Thousands of posts/private conversations in that. Until the PCs have attachments & searching capabilities like a forum I would appreciate this feature very much if it was easy to add.

I never thought of using a forum set up that way for a 'drafts' forum. Nice idea.

I use this feature in a 'talk to the admin' forum. Thousands of posts/private conversations in that. Until the PCs have attachments & searching capabilities like a forum I would appreciate this feature very much if it was easy to add.

Ahhh cool another great idea, I like it... much better than having 1000's of PM's from users also they are all kept in one neat forum that all admins/mods can see instead of just one...

So that is now 3 user cases :D

But why??? when a simple permission setting on a forum does the job just fine...

And how does that help with Abomination's idea?

Just curious...
@Brandon_R: A mod is not necessary, and as stated above (Ceri May's post), having a simple forum permission that would allow users to only read their own threads is a way better idea than a full out mod that only does one thing.

Meh.

But why??? when a simple permission setting on a forum does the job just fine...

And how does that help with Abomination's idea?

Just curious...
I think he means the AJAX save/draft mod that was requested; he doesn't realize you're talking about something a bit different.

I use this feature too for one on one conversations with clients when working with them, much easier than PM's or emails, all nicely in the one spot.

Ahhh cool another great idea, I like it... much better than having 1000's of PM's from users also they are all kept in one neat forum that all admins/mods can see instead of just one...

So that is now 3 user cases :D
I also have a company feedback forum. As the executives come/go I add/delete permissions as appropriate so the company can get private feedback what people are saying without the negative things being public.... and the people giving the feedback are not aware of who exactly is seeing the feedback. In our case, because of corporate changes at the top level, we will probably close that though.

In addition it is often used on forums to talk to the 'staff'. Where admins & mods can see peoples requests & input. "Hey please move this thread" type of requests. The staff on forums also change occasionally.

After much thought I wrote a rather lengthy article on all the ways they could be used somewhere. The feature is extremely powerful.

Top Bottom