Implemented Permission system: View own threads only

Cezz

Just curious if xenForo's permissions already allow this or not... in vBulletin you can set the permissions of a forum so that only the owner can see and post in a thread...

This is really useful on sites were users can keep a sort of private journal (pregnancy sites etc)... or on sites where you can create a draft forum for things like reviews etc...

I have used this a number of times and hope that xenForo allows it... Infact I guess it does but I thought I would ask, and if possible also ask to see a screeny of the permissions screen... :)

Upvote 27
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I never thought of using a forum set up that way for a 'drafts' forum. Nice idea.

I use this feature in a 'talk to the admin' forum. Thousands of posts/private conversations in that. Until the PCs have attachments & searching capabilities like a forum I would appreciate this feature very much if it was easy to add.
Wow, that's a great idea! All of a sudden, I'm liking the suggestion more. :D

Wow, that's a great idea! All of a sudden, I'm liking the suggestion more. :D
I have thousands of posts in the talk to admin forum, actually it is a 'talk to me' forum where anything and everything is talked about. I have one thread 2000 posts long from a friend and pictures are shared/attached privately. Works really well.

In addition to being able to have attachments, they are completely searchable :)

Having the same permission possibilities (per user, usergroup and per forum) as in vB is essential for me. Doesn't have to work or look the same, but just the option to set permission for every user, usergroup and forum is something that every forum software should have.

BTW: a payed membership system, that automatically updates permissions is also essential.

I use this whenever I have a community wide vote to promote members to a VIP group, and for appointing moderators. In both cases, the votes are private, and no one knows how likely or unlikely someone is to win until the election is over. I guess it's a psychological thing when you see poll numbers.

It's just a single permission, and it would be a shame to not see it added. As a matter of fact, I'll add this thread to my signature, despite the fact it's not mine :D.

We actually would need this for our forum, too. I think people here who've said it's a niche thing are maybe right ... but for those who do use it on vb, it's become part of how we do things.

The most important way we use it at our place is that we have a forum set aside for members to report any concerns they have to us, and for us to deal with conflict with any problem members. In that forum, only the thread starter and our most senior staff members are able to read each thread. It gives us a totally private way to deal with conflict situations - and a place to lock members in to work through those issues, too, if needs be, so that they can't cause problems on the open forum. It also allows for a team of staff to respond to queries and concerns there, rather than just one, if pm's were used instead. We've used this system for years and really wouldn't want to be without it now. ;)

I'm just wondering if this is going to be implemented - it's something we really need for our forum and it would be useful to know if it's planned to be added... or should I request an addon for it?

This has been implemented in 1.1.

screen-shot-2011-09-21-at-13-11-46-png.18981

Set the node permissions by clicking the link in the node list. But if only the thread starter can see their thread, only they can respond.

I'm a bit confused on this. Is it possible to have threads in a node viewable by all, but restrict replies to the thread starters only?

Has this been taken away in the latest updates? It now doesn't seem to work..

I had an Applications thread where users submitting their Apps could only see their own posts, no other posts within that thread could be seen even though it was created by the user.

Sorry it's an old thread, I found this through google searching..

I've never heard of an implemented feature being removed..

Having users view only their threads in a forum is still possible.

I had an Applications thread where users submitting their Apps could only see their own posts, no other posts within that thread could be seen even though it was created by the user.
XF permissions have never applied at the thread level in that manner.

That must have come from an add-on.

You will need to identify which one and post in the resource thread for support.

Top Bottom