Performance compared to vBulletin?

Hi,

My biggest problem with vBulletin (3.8) is its performance. When you have a lot of posts, especially topics with thousands of replies, MySQL queries can take over a minute and crash the server. Recently I've had to actively seek out longer topics (2k+ replies) and stop them before they cause downtime.

What performance improvements will XenForo have over vBulletin? Is it better optimised for larger forums or are huge topics an inherent problem?

Thanks,

Phil

i think it is the amount of content of the posts which makes the loading of a particular page slow. It has nothing to do with number of posts in a thread! Thread quoted above has all he posts with only two three words in them.... it would be interesting to see how XF behaves when there a lot of bulky posts in a thread.

Just created this thread to test!
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-words-to-see-how-xf-behaves.4544/#post-71638

Thanks

The problems I've been seeing have been queries that vBulletin does when, say, it's counting the number of posts in a topic. For example:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS posts​
FROM post AS post​
WHERE threadid = 5348 AND visible = 1​
AND dateline <= 1228073906;​

These kind of queries can take over a minute, at which point my host has been killing them, which also briefly takes the server down with it.

Once I had figured this out, I got rid of any topic above 2,000 posts in length. This solved the issue immediately. However, keeping track of long topics is a pain!

The problems I've been seeing have been queries that vBulletin does when, say, it's counting the number of posts in a topic.

For vBulletin 3 try adding this additional index. I think it really helped on our forum.

Code:
ALTER TABLE post ADD KEY `th_search` (`threadid`, `visible`, `dateline`);

Top Bottom